New Search Engine

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Since moving over the site to this new software last May one of the biggest complaints I have heard about it is the Search Engine.

XenForo offers an official separate paid add on which is supposed to greatly improve the search features here, up until this week I haven't been able to install this search engine here as the required backend search service ElasticSearch was not compatible with our version of Unix we run here. However a new version has been released which is compatible with our OS, and this new search engine backend was installed last night on our server.

Here is a description of the new search from XenForo

"XenForo Enhanced Search is designed to give significantly better search performance and additional search options to your users. It is built on top of elasticsearch, which is in turn built on top of Lucene. This gives excellent performance, even with millions of pieces of content. Elasticsearch allows nearly infinite scalability and redundancy by silently allowing searches to be run across multiple servers. Additionally, you benefit from a very small stopword list and no minimum word length, allowing nearly any search to return meaningful results. Elasticsearch also provides support for returning results based on how relevant they are to your search. You can select relevancy ordering on the advanced search page."

I have just purchased and installed the XenForo add in. I was planning on turning it on tonight, but instead after install it turned itself on and currently reindexing the search. This means while its rebuilding search may not work or return incomplete results.

I will let you know when its done.

Thanks for allowing me to make SatelliteGuys better for you. :)

Yes this is a BIG welcome!!

Went back to the old search for tonight, the other one was throwing a ton of errors. Waiting for an update from Support.

Are you playing with it this morning by any chance? I usually go up and check my Content but now it just shows my Messages, not any of the Forum posts. It did work maybe 30 minutes ago..

Yup... was rebuilding the index again, but its done now and we are on the new Search Engine.

This puppy is FAST!

Reactions: Titanium
I am going to make one more change so the search results will be off again.

This change will ensure that all forms of a word are matched with a search. For example, a search for "test" would equally match "tests", "testing", "tested", and so on.

I will let you know when the rebuild is done.

Reactions: Titanium
Since putting it online a few minutes ago here are the stats.

Documents: 4,365,051 (1.5 GB)
Index Updates: 4,365,068 (0.0002 seconds average)
Searches: 125 (0.0148 seconds average)
Fetches: 55 (0.0001 seconds average)

Looks like I am able to use the "Participated" option in Tapatalk and in SatelliteGuys Reader app! This hasn't worked for the past several months! Thanks!!!

My thanks to our Pub Members for making this possible. We had a small wave of Pub Membership renewals last week that allowed me to buy this add on and get the ElasticSearch engine installed. :)

I have been playing with this search and really like it, another thing I have found is there is no minimum characters you can search for.

So now you can search for something like 1 TV and you get results. :)

Please let me know your thoughts on it!

The past search was almost useless, I mostly stopped posting that a search would find you something. This new search engine may bring back those posts.
(In a helpful way.... :biggrin )

I am so glad that the "Participated" feature works again, and so incredibly fast! Major update in usability!

I am so glad that the "Participated" feature works again, and so incredibly fast! Major update in usability!
I knew it was related to indexing!

Status
Not open for further replies.