New Server Info and Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm trying to convey ... is that the links you see are not "URL's" ... they are the retreived "titles" of the pages that the URL links to.

So the first issue, is that the links could be short normally like:
http://www.dishnetwork.com

but the system went to that URL (waste of server time) and retreived this arbitrary title:
DISH Satellite TV Packages From $19.99. Ask About HD Free For Life.

And look at it... its already twice the length of the original URL

Secondly ... you don't know, from looking at that text (the Dish Satellite .... ) that the link is to DishNetwork dot com. There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites out there, that could be selling dish systems, and would have something similar as their title.

Third ... is that because some people are not web savvy ... they may think they found some great information, they put their link into their thread... the "title" is retrieved, and it might make people think they're going to "Happy Fairy Land" ... or something innocent ... where instead, they might actually be linking to anything .. be it good, bad, or even just good info *hosted* on a bad web site that has been hacked/compromised.

The original poster in that "third" bullet point I'm making is innocent ... they found some information, maybe its good info but because titles are retrieved and the URL hidden, it makes it harder to know that it goes somewhere that isn't trustworthy.

One final example... here's the url
http://www.ordersatellitenow.com/

that isn't dish network ... but look at the title text:
DISH Network Satellite TV | DISH TV Packages - $24.99 Mo | 295 Channels | FREE Installation

Thus my point ... in my case .. I would rather always have the "retrieve titles from external links" off by my choice ... rather than always having to go into the advanced editor, where *then* I get the option to turn off the title retrieval ... thus when ever I post a link, users *do* get to see the URL rather than some "title" which gives you *NO* indication of the real site you're linking to.

and that "ordersatellitenow" site.. they aren't dish network, notice their starting price is showing 24.99 (Dish shows 19.99) and it would take clicking on the link just to see "oh its not dish"

Its also frowned upon as a webmaster
Quality guidelines - specific guidelines

Even this site explains that titles can be used for nefarious reasons...
http://www.pearsonified.com/2010/04/wordpress-pharma-hack.php
(Wordpress "Pharma" hack explanation)

If people really can't understand the insecurity having title text replacement causes ... even though its "never been that way before", even if "no one posts bad things", I would hope that they get it from the concept that hackers do bad things ... hackers (bad ones/crackers) have gotten into very prominent web sites before .. they will do it again ... and hiding the URL behind a "title" as is the default, is a bad idea..

But again I'm not saying make policy for the site .. I'm just saying it would be nice, for those of US that *do* realize how bad things could be ... that we get an option to set that feature off ... for any posts we make, without having to go extra steps just to do so.

I view my posting without title replacement as a courtesy ... so people have some clue as to where I'm linking them, rather than requiring someone to know to trust "me" or my links... or to trust and believe that "no one posts anything bad". (sorry but that really just irks me that someone would believe that, like Scott & company have never had spammers try to get in and post links?)

I guess every choice we make on this site goes against your thought process, this site and every site on the internet....They are all filled with hyperlinks instead of showing url's.

Again no changes are going to be made, if the auto links bug you that much I suggest you visit DBSTALK where they are running a really old highly unsecure version of vbulletin which does not have the auto link feature.

I guess every choice we make on this site goes against your thought process, this site and every site on the internet....They are all filled with hyperlinks instead of showing url's.
thats right... attack, even as mildly as it is, without understanding.

if YOU have a site ... and I know You .. and trust You ... then I would trust that *you* wouldn't normally fill your site with links that do bad things, however... this site .. isn't filled with 5000 members of *you*. There's me ... there's 4998 other users that I have no clue who they are.. nor they me ... and every time one of those other 4998 people post a link ... if they haven't turned off the title retrieval option when they posted (ie. going an extra step to do so each and every time they post) you are putting a level of trust out there, and the flip side, the chance to go to a bad place that you're not prepared for.

It was what..? 2007 ... 2008? that the website for the stadium that the superbowl was hosted on, was hacked. Innocent people just going to that web site, with their not 100% up to date patched pc's, were infected .. just by going to that site.

it was 2007, Dolphin Stadium website
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/super-bowl-stadium-site-hacked-seeded-with-exploits/15
(notice that is a "long" url and its already shortened, by removing part of the url after the domain and replacing it with "..." its better than auto-replace with TinyURL or Bit.Ly etc)

That's part of the misconception when security people incorrectly say "stay away from inappropriate or malicious websites" ... tell me.. what makes the web site malicious? It was the intent of the dolphin stadium people to have a good wholesome site that gives users a look at the stadium, helps them plan for their seating, gives them a map of the exits, restrooms, and concession stands..

yet the site was *made* into a malicious one without the general populations' knowledge.

Do I think the links that Scott and Company put on the site themselves, or have in areas around the forums are bad? no ... not intentionally so.. but who is this TG2, who is tstolze? Does that person have a strong password? Did that person get compromized and now all their passwords "are belong to us"?

I'm making a very valid point .. and only asking that it would be nice if in the profile a user gets the choice to turn off that defaulted check mark.. My post tried to make the point that it was upsetting in a humorous way by faking curse words with @$%@#&(* ... etc.. showing a level of frustration that is felt everytime I've forgotten only to have to go back in and re-edit ...

I've supported that valid position only because it seems people aren't getting it. I'm not knocking the site, not calling people out as horrible for not doing it ... just asking for the option, to allow me, not to have to go that extra step every time I make a post...

ie. no reason to flame me for wanting the choice, no reason to say I'm stupid, or crazy for thinking its insecure or less secure (which is the last point I'm trying to prove)

If you don't agree, that's fine we don't have to insult or offer words of insult simply because one of us doesn't believe or hasn't been proven right.

TG2 the auto links have been here for two years now and we have never had a problem.

You want options I gave you options above now please quit your bitching already.

Further discussions on your black helicopter theories will be removed.

Just an update our old ISP in Dallas FINALLY shipped our servers out to Anthony in MI so he can wipe them out and get them ready for future use. :)

Only took them over a month to get them out...

Nope UPS. The old ISP was upset that I fired them so they took their sweet ass time to pack and ship the old servers.

Man... it is hard to believe we have been on this server now for almost 10 years!

It sure has served us well!

With that said I am looking to lower the costs and get us on a better new server. Our host LiquidWeb no longer offers Co Location services anymore. (We are grandfathered) so we will be looking into Dedicated or Cloud hosting, which will give us a much faster experience at a much less lower monthly cost.

I am just beginning to research this stuff now. But I saw this thread and thought I would bump it up as I didn't realize the server was so old already. :D

I will post a separate thread later on ideas for moving us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)