New Server Info and Thanks!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some threads go to next post, some don't. Can't figure out the pattern. Firefox. Avatar missing.

Some threads go to next post, some don't. Can't figure out the pattern. Firefox. Avatar missing.

What I see is that the threads that work correctly have only 1 page. If there's more than 1 page it goes to the top of the page with the first new post.

eurosport said:
My avatar disappeared after the switchover to the new server, but I just re-uploaded it and all was fine. :)

It is still here. The image on the post I just submit disappears. It comes back when I hit refresh

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

We have been going back and forth with the VBSEO guys, which is hard as they are on the other side of the earth. So when they are awake and ask a question we are sleeping here.One strange thing is on my MAC using Safari, Chrome and Firefox, the go to new posts is WORKING.On my PC's it is not working on IE, but is working on Chrome. (Haven't tried Firefox yet.)
go to first new post does not work in chrome for pc

Grrr...

They fixed the issue with Go To New Posts but now our homepage does not load... :(

I will be away til this afternoon and wont be able to look at it until then.

You know what would be really nice?

If there were an option to allow users to turn off that G!D! @#@)(*& "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" crap...

I end up having to "go advanced" EVERY @#$#@!)(*& TIME I want to post a URL to disable that crap feature... AT NO TIME should it be acceptable to "hide" a link behind a title like that.. all it does is make it harder for a user to see the *REAL* url to make sure they aren't being tricked into going to a bad site..

I mean the idea ... the concept is great if you have users that do no harm ... but even then you have "innocent" users that don't know any better and might accidentally post something they *think* is good/no harm .. but they were duped and others couldn't see it because the Auto Title crap puts in "Super Happy Title Page Info" form..

ARG!!

/rant

I don't believe we have ever had a link posted that was NSFW. Our staff is really good on keeping up on things like that. :)

Sorry but the external links thing is not changing.

I don't believe we have ever had a link posted that was NSFW. Our staff is really good on keeping up on things like that. :)

staff? no no.. that was all me baby... :) Self Censoring for more than 30 years :)

and as for EL's not changing.. Scottie G make me all frownie face :(

Seriously.. I've no problem with letting people have it if they want it.. but would like it to be a User's Choice ... rather than force people to go "advanced" just to de-select title fetching.. it really is a bad idea to have titles in place of URL's.

You know what would be really nice?

If there were an option to allow users to turn off that G!D! @#@)(*& "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" crap...

I end up having to "go advanced" EVERY @#$#@!)(*& TIME I want to post a URL to disable that crap feature... AT NO TIME should it be acceptable to "hide" a link behind a title like that.. all it does is make it harder for a user to see the *REAL* url to make sure they aren't being tricked into going to a bad site..

I mean the idea ... the concept is great if you have users that do no harm ... but even then you have "innocent" users that don't know any better and might accidentally post something they *think* is good/no harm .. but they were duped and others couldn't see it because the Auto Title crap puts in "Super Happy Title Page Info" form..

ARG!!

/rant

Why does it matter? Nobody posts inappropriate URL's anyway. I don't get what the big deal is.

I normally modify long links to save space or for them to fit into a sentence. I see no problem with that. We as members in good standing would never intentionally post something NSFW in our forums unless it was in the Back Room.:D (lol) Remember, being a member is privilege not a right and we all should post accordingly.

I do have a few unrelated questions though. While using the "advanced tab" which I use a lot, can some of the non functioning icons be removed for a cleaner look, and what does that ABC with the green check mark actually do? I have tried using it and it has done nothing but confuse me. I have placed iespell checker in my browser and it works well. I am being very picky at this point and just sharing my thoughts. Don't go to any trouble over my questions.
One thing I didn't like to start with is that yellow auto save feature. Well, it has saved me a few times. I now like it. ;) (old dawg with new trick)

I think Scott and Anthony have done a wonderful job and I am very happy with the new server and the way things are now.:) I am almost, I say almost looking forward to the next time Dish has a major issue to see how well the new server performs under a heavy load.:eek::D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Why does it matter? Nobody posts inappropriate URL's anyway. I don't get what the big deal is.
That's right.. no one does bad things.

This link
DISH Satellite TV Packages From $19.99. Ask About HD Free For Life.
*was* short already, but then gets replaced with text twice as long
And what is that site? ... is it some fly by night Sham BS company trying to get you to sub to Dish? .. Why no...its DishNetworks' own title page ... but just looking at the title as its been replaced.. you could think its a sham/spam site.

or this one
DISH Online - Your TV Everywhere. Watch. Record. Rent.
which went from "www. dishonline . com" to blah-de-blah-blah-blah
Or this.. where's THIS thing from?
DISH Network Dish Pro Plus DPP Separator (ES148534) from Solid Signal

The simple fact is, that *without* this "auto retrieve" you do get the *real* url up to a point, and the *real* url's get shortened automatically with <....> inserted to shorten text.

It also means, that if you're typing.. the text you're typing is getting replaced, which changes the formatting of the line even more ....

Again.. for those people that like the feature.. no biggie .. let them have it .. but it would be nice to have the feature available so that those of us that *don't* like or don't want the titles retrieved, don't have to always go into advanced mode just to select otherwise.

Just like these editors.. we get to chose which editor we want to use.. and there's a modified form being used on some sites that allows the user to select two different editors, one specific to the in page thread editor, the other as the "advanced" options editor (when you select to "go advanced")

Did you find those links in some threads somewhere in SatelliteGuys? If so, show us those posts in question, or am I not understanding what you are trying to convey. I can't speak for Scott, but I think he has already responded to your question.

Also you can use the option to report an inappropriate message or link at the bottom of every post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts