New Server - Issues and Reports

Nope I take that back...

Seems others are having the issue too. i am looking through this thead now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's the one I seem to experience once periodically with the new server which is probably like the 3rd or 4th time so far. Seems to only blocked if I am logged in as logged out, it will show the forums fine and ofcourse it will work correctly after I login again.
Ok I found your IP address in the security log. It reports the following...

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.38.14 PM.png

Not quite sure what that means but you were temporarily locked out. If it happens again I would scan your machine with something like MalwareBytes. (Yeah I know you don't want to hear that.). But I don't write the security software and since I dont know what it means and so far you are the only person to report this issue its the only advice I can pass along at this time.

Ok I found your IP address in the security log. It reports the following...

View attachment 165122

Not quite sure what that means but you were temporarily locked out. If it happens again I would scan your machine with something like MalwareBytes. (Yeah I know you don't want to hear that.). But I don't write the security software and since I dont know what it means and so far you are the only person to report this issue its the only advice I can pass along at this time.
Thanks, atleast it's giving a hint... Not sure what it is but just strange it only happens once in awhile and you would think it would be daily as it does connect from the same IP and same machine. But anyways, this is what it means...

It could be a false positive but unless the logs show exactly what is triggering it since it's based on the rules configured for the security software and what's strange is wouldn't the block still be there even after I deleted the cookies/cache for the site since the blocks are usually IP based and shouldn't be related to the cookies/cache.

Last edited:
I noticed something else, not sure of a good way to describe it but on a computer using a desktop browser such as Google Chrome, whether I am looking at the main forum page or if I am inside a specific forum using
SatelliteGuys Support Center for example for this thread, even after I read the entire thread as I usually hit back to go to a higher level, it will still show this thread in bold which means there are new/unread posts and the only way to get it to show the correct status is to basically refresh the page. So assuming I was at the main forum page, it would show SatelliteGuys Support Center in bold even after I read everything in the group already until I refresh the page manually, is there a way to have it automatically show the correct status without having to do it manually?

Not that I know of. But I am not really understanding the full issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you use the forum say by clicking on "What's New", it brings up all the threads in BOLD that you haven't seen. It USED to work where after you went into one of those threads and then exited, the thread would then be UN-bolded, denoting that you have seen it.

It no longer does that. The thread stays BOLD, unless after you exit it, you do a browser refresh. I'm using Firefox, and it's been doing that since the new server

Sorry again no idea. Sounds maybe like a caching issue.

There are no controls or settings for they in the software that I can adjust for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I know of. But I am not really understanding the full issue.

Hard to explain in words but I will try my best to explain it in a better way...
1) I start at the SatelliteGuys.US URL where it will show all forums
2) This forum assuming it has new content which can be posts or a thread has new comments will show as BOLD which is a indication it has something new since the last time I read it
3) I enter the forum and let's say this thread was the only thing that had a new post in, this thread will also be BOLD so I also enter the thread and read it.
4) I hit the back button on the browser which would land at the outside of this forum and this thread will still be BOLD

It is supposed to no longer be BOLD because I already read the thread and there are no new posts in the thread. So the way to correct it is to either hit reload in the browser or the F5 key and it will show the correct status of this thread.

If you use the forum say by clicking on "What's New", it brings up all the threads in BOLD that you haven't seen. It USED to work where after you went into one of those threads and then exited, the thread would then be UN-bolded, denoting that you have seen it.

It no longer does that. The thread stays BOLD, unless after you exit it, you do a browser refresh. I'm using Firefox, and it's been doing that since the new server
The problem with the What's New is I want to visit individual forums and read everything in that forum that was unread as sometimes I may see a topic I want to revisit again. So while the refresh will work, it's time consuming when you keep have to do it inside the forum itself so the thread unbolds to figure out what you already read and what is really unread. That is why I have noticed that I was spending more time than needed in each forum because I have to keep refreshing manually after I back out of the thread itself. Yes, it could be a caching issue because maybe it has to do with the preloaded settings in the browser for all I know. When there are only a few unread threads, it's less of a problem but if there were like 20 threads that are BOLD, and you basically have to read, back out of thread, refresh and repeat for each thread that is read, it becomes a chore that ends up taking a lot of time for the refreshing manually. So I should say it may not be the forum software because the same problem exists with other forums so it could be there was some change in the code of the browsers where it is not comparing the cache to the contents on each visit. If I had to guess, I would say it is related to this setting in the browser which used to work correctly until sometime recently because it seems to be something recent since I didn't talk about it before if it was that bad so as with anything, in this case, it seems like it's a browser issue and not the site:
1695790916230.png

The problem with the What's New is I want to visit individual forums and read everything in that forum that was unread as sometimes I may see a topic I want to revisit again. So while the refresh will work, it's time consuming when you keep have to do it inside the forum itself so the thread unbolds to figure out what you already read and what is really unread. That is why I have noticed that I was spending more time than needed in each forum because I have to keep refreshing manually after I back out of the thread itself. Yes, it could be a caching issue because maybe it has to do with the preloaded settings in the browser for all I know. When there are only a few unread threads, it's less of a problem but if there were like 20 threads that are BOLD, and you basically have to read, back out of thread, refresh and repeat for each thread that is read, it becomes a chore that ends up taking a lot of time for the refreshing manually. So I should say it may not be the forum software because the same problem exists with other forums so it could be there was some change in the code of the browsers where it is not comparing the cache to the contents on each visit. If I had to guess, I would say it is related to this setting in the browser which used to work correctly until sometime recently because it seems to be something recent since I didn't talk about it before if it was that bad so as with anything, in this case, it seems like it's a browser issue and not the site:
View attachment 165435
Yes, it used to work automatically. It now does NOT. I haven't made any changes that could have affected it, it was after the server upgrade.

Yes, it used to work automatically. It now does NOT. I haven't made any changes that could have affected it, it was after the server upgrade.
Interesting, it could be I used to read the forums only once a day at a different time of day so there were less posts. Which browser are you using as I know Chrome does it but I have not tried Microsoft Edge and Firefox to see if they are any different. Probably Edge will be the same as they still use Chromium code. As this is not really a issue only on this forum, I will bring up the issue on elevenforum where the people there would be more knowledgeable with this sort of thing and see if they know how to fix it. I know you can use auto refresh browser extensions but the thing is you only want it to refresh while either in the main page where it shows the forum names or inside forums where it shows the topic names but not inside a topic/thread or while one is writing a message.

Still not 100% sure what the issue is. But with that said Xenforo 2.3 is coming in a few weeks that is supposed to fix a bunch of things. :)
It's not a problem with the forum or the server, as it appears that the browser just doesn't refresh when it's supposed to. Just I noticed it more probably because the last few days, I didn't visit daily and there were more threads even though I probably always hit F5 before. I was looking on Google and it seems this is the exact issue and it can be fixed on the forum side so you are correct that it is cache related and basically there should be code on the forum pages to refresh the page instead the existing cache:

It seems to have somethng to do with using the back button to go back to the page right outside the thread or the main page showing the forums: