New Software

JonOrlando

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Was watching a great movie just a few minutes ago and the box reset. When it finally counted down and started back up, had new software...Mystro...that stayed on the screen for about 10 minutes and then got a message stating that all recorded video and recording settings were being updated and then it reset. What is this all about?

I'm in Altamonte Springs.

Jon

okay....after about 15 to 20 minutes and the box resetting itself 7 times, I'm back to passport software....here's the big thing that I'm upset about...all my saved shows, scheduled shows have been ERASED and DELETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone wish to shed some light on this situation?

Im back....lol. The box reset itself and updated back to Mystro and seems to be sticking. The guide and the features are really cool...too bad I lost all of my shows though...I have 2 HD boxes in the house...only 1, the living room, lost all the shows.

Sounds like they have moved on from tampa to orlando now! hurray!

Yeah, here's a tip though: The box takes about 10 minutes to reboot, and during that time, touch NOTHING! Otherwise it gets quite messed up I found. So just let it do it's thing.

Sucks that you lost all your programming though!

I was visiting my son's house on Tuesday and the cable box/remote went into a mode where only power, volume, and mute worked--no channel change or anything else. So, I tried to reboot his STB by holding power down like mine. No dice.

Called BHN. You have to reboot his box by holding Vol+, Vol-, and (I think) Info buttons simultaneously.

My gosh, what an incredibly long time for the reboot. I didn't time it, but geesh, I'm there on the phone with the support rep, and we WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.

I commented to him that, as OCAP/Mystro? gets more deployed, their support time per call is going to go out of site and queue time will become ridiculous. He said it has already hit them, and there are still many more deployments yet to come. It will get worse.

Yeah, I have a crash similar to that once a month or so. I typically have to physically unplug the DVR to get it to reset.

There's also the problem where every 2 or 3 months it will mess up the recordings to the extent that it skips 10 minutes of a show.

The software really should still be in a testing lab, and needs another year or two of serious work.

That being said, if this means SDV isn't too far behind, I'll rough it out.

Yes they normally do upgrades at about 2-4 AM so you caught the box doing its upgrade, they dont upgrade ALL at once they do it in sections so its possible one box did it but not all its based usally on the Serial number.

Very important when the box is doing its upgrade to not mess with it, otherwise you can lose everything or make the box dead. I have been to several service calls where the box was dead because the software install didnt go well. Just like with your home computer that is one of the risks of changeing the operating system.

Yes this does mean SDV is near, as mentioned the goal is to have it rolled out by Sept.

yeah, i didnt touch it. i juat let it do its thing.

so, both boxes in the house are upgraded now, but again, the living room box, lost all the shows/programming, whereas the other HD box kept all the programming. thoughts on that happening?

Well you said it upgraded then went back then upgraded again, sounds like it had an error when it did the uggrade and messed up. It probably "wiped" itself after the first upgrade failed. ;(

Came home from work today and noticed the box was changed. New software will be my first real taste since all the changes they have made. Ill let ya know how I like it. One feature I dont like already is on the old box when I in the guide I hit "A" key on the remote and it would jump 100 channels at a time it would jump to the next group of 100 like from ch 3 to 100 to 200 etc made getting to the premiums easier.. Course I can just type the first channel (235) and it will jump the guide to that channel but eh.. Maybe im just picky.

stevenl, I know just what you mean. It is so puzzling, and infuriating, why software writers remove previous functionality. It is as if they start from scratch each time and don't even look at the previous version...the "I know better" or "not invented here" syndrome.

And it is so easy before you start the coding to make a list of the current mechanized functions, then identify the ones to keep as is, keep but modify, discard, and new functions to add.

Sounds like they have moved on from tampa to orlando now! hurray!

Yeah, here's a tip though: The box takes about 10 minutes to reboot, and during that time, touch NOTHING! Otherwise it gets quite messed up I found. So just let it do it's thing.

Sucks that you lost all your programming though!

I'm in the Tampa market and have not been updated yet.

No update for me, either.

If the software upgrade lost all of my shows, my wife would string up a BHN exec. ;)

Maybe we should pare down the list of shows.

I had a scare when I first clicked "List" after the upgrade nothing came up, but upon rebooting the box all my shows were there. I was about to throw the DVR out to the front door :)

So far though I am fairly happy with the new software it seems a lot of the "bugs" I was bitching about with the "OCRAP" (ala OCAP) software have been fixed, the channel changing is about the same, rebooting doesn't take 20 mins, and I am liking the new DVR features like telling me what % of the drive is left, and the way it sorts your recordings... I also enjoy the caller ID on-screen. I hope the new features that are being talked about also work well..

I was worried at first though it looked like in the guide you could no longer type in a show to search, but alas I found out you can :) So I am now happy with the guide.. The "A" button thing still gets me but ill get used to it I guess.

one thing I dont like, is on the old software when I would type in an incorrect channel, it would take me to the closest one...I noticed that no longer does that.

I wish mine would have saved the shows....I will be okay though. Other ways to see them.

Anyone get the new update that came in the last bill as an insert....anyone in Pinellas actually, or Tampa Bay?

After using the software for a few days now I am rather happy with it. I really love the new way on-demand is handled, I think the response on the FFW and RW is much faster and I love the way I can sort the on-demand now. Also you can sort the guide so your Favorites show first when you hit guide. The Caller-ID on TV is very nice, saves me from getting up. Its also been very stable on my DVR and the DVR features are very nice, seeing what % of the drive is left, Sorting by title, date is nice, the new recording methods are really cool also. I think overall the interface is much cleaner and there are a ton more options available. So far I have to say, I will finally stop bitching about the OCRAP software it seems most of the kinks have been worked out, and I look forward to the new features coming soon.

this came in our bills...when is this coming to Tampa and not just Orlando, it seems since we became Brighthouse, Orlando is more of a test market. Excluding of course that too early for the public interactive TV back in the 90's for Orlando...but yea, Tampa...we thought by the end of May? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts