New switch problems?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

azrifraf

Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hi all, I'm new to posting to the forum but have been reading every now and again for tips. Ok here's my dilema:

I just moved into my parent's house for the summer (house sitting) and was hooking up a spare receiver into my room. Currently my parents have a s Dish 500 antenna and are using a SW21 to connect to an old 2700 receiver. I found another 2700 and was able to get it registered back with Dish and was able to download updates and get reception just plugging it in to same outlet. Last week I bought a SW24 from MXMART and just got it today. I went up on the roof, replaced the SW21 with the 24 and then connected the spare bedroom cable to the switch. I came back downstairs, turned on one receiver and tv at a time and did a check switch.

Well with my horrible luck, I can tell you that the check switch never gets the proper switch config. It either comes up with 'unknown' or sw21 with 3 satellites. No matter how many times I try the check switch I can't get it recognize the switch or both satellites. One minute it will catch 110 and the next 119.

I've put back the SW21 and the receivers work fine. Is the SW24 a bad switch or am I doing something wrong? Do I need another type of switch?

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

The SW24 (I assume it has 2 inputs and 4 outputs) is only for one satellite slot and will not work with 2 satellites. Both lines from one LNB go into the inputs and hook 4 receivers to it.

Works great for Directv (if you have just the 101 dish) or free to air (again if only using one satellite slot) but not really for Dish

Easiest way to do it is to get another SW21 switch

I'm sorry maybe I didn't type that right,, I have one Dish 500 with the dual lnb, one is for 110 and the other is for 119. Your correct on the SW24, I have the 110 ouput cable plugged into one input of the sw24 and the 119 in the other. I then hooked one receiver cable into the receiver 1 output and the second in receiver 2 output, leaving output 3 and 3 empty. I'd get another SW21 but Im not sure how would split the signal out of the lnb's??

Ok, gary you confused me,, here's what I have, so tell me, does this not work? See the attached image..

Attachments

• is.jpeg
    is.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 258
Sorry, must have confused with a SW42 switch. Uses two separate legacy lnb's with two lines from each lnb to inputs on the switch and only two outputs to receivers. That looks more like a splitter and not a switch, you run two lines from one lnb and you get four lines from the one lnb. Think you may have the wrong equipment.

I have one Dish 500 with the dual lnb, one is for 110 and the other is for 119.
is it a dual or Twin?
dual is one eye (LNB) and sees one satellite spot
twin is one elongated eyeball and sees both 110 & 119
see here http://ekb.dbstalk.com/twin.htm if confused

from what you said it sounds like a Twin. In that case, you dont need a SW21 switch. Hook the cable from the existing 2700 to one port and the other 2700 to the other port and rerun check switch on both

Your correct on the SW24, I have the 110 ouput cable plugged into one input of the sw24 and the 119 in the other. I then hooked one receiver cable into the receiver 1 output and the second in receiver 2 output, leaving output 3 and 3 empty.
that wont work

I'd get another SW21 but Im not sure how would split the signal out of the lnb's??
you cant split it

The "SW24" never been in Dish installs and came from non-Dish environment.
Forget it, if you want 119/110 signals on more then one receiver.
Now last question - is your 'dual' but in reality TWIN LNBF is one block or two separate LNBFs ? How many outputs there ? What logo on it ? DP or not ?

Hey guys, sorry for not responding earlier, I've been out of town. Attached are pictures of the dish. It has only 1 output for each signal (119 and 110). What do I need to do to get to tv's running on the dish? Is there a switch that does work, or do I need to preplace the dish entirely?

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 171
those #'s are for if your using a switch - with the DPP lnb just connect one receiver to one output at the lnb and connect the other receiver to the other output at the lnb then redo your check switch at each receiver then your good to go - don't connect anything to the lnb in connection at the lnb that's for another wing dish

If I connect the receiver directly to one of the outputs, all I get is that specific satellite, either 110 or 119. The receivers are old models (2700's) so that maybe my problem. I'm trying to get them to work with that satellite dish. I want to be able to get both satellites with the two receivers. Now the current setup is one receiver connected to a SW21 switch to get both satellites. What type of switch do I need to get both receivers up and running?

Quick question, what model would not be considered legacy? Maybe I should just get some newer receivers?

with the dpp dish and legacy receivers you would have to have legacy adapters for them to work - what i would do is just upgrade your receivers to the newer dp technology - DP receivers are the models 3xx - 301 and above, 5xx - 501 and above, 921, 942, newer mpeg4 models are 211, 222, 622, 612, 722

With a DPP LNBF, it should emulate a SW64 for the legacy receiver, with a single cable directly from the LNBF (either port) to the receiver.

Connect it that way, run check switch again, it should show as a SW64 connected to 119, 110 and nothing.

Ok, so what are these legacy adapters? I was looking on Ebay, would a DP34 switch work? In the details they claim it works with legacy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts