new TivoHD ... How do I connect the DirecTV HD reciever?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

j0nnyhb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
I didn't notice the limited inputs on the TivoHD I just bought (only has 2 coax inputs for "cable" and "OTA").

Am I screwed or is there a way to connect the DirecTV HD reciever to this thing? What are my options? Thanks in advance!

Ultimately, I want to plug in basic cable (to get my local HD channels which are in the clear via QAM) and my DirecTV HD to a DVR of some kind (I thought the new TivoHD for 299 was the answer, perhaps NOT :)).

I didn't notice the limited inputs on the TivoHD I just bought (only has 2 coax inputs for "cable" and "OTA").

Am I screwed or is there a way to connect the DirecTV HD reciever to this thing? What are my options? Thanks in advance!

Ultimately, I want to plug in basic cable (to get my local HD channels which are in the clear via QAM) and my DirecTV HD to a DVR of some kind (I thought the new TivoHD for 299 was the answer, perhaps NOT :)).

This is just a educated guess but if it has video in/out jacks you might be able to do it. use the out jacks on the directv hd and connect to the in jacks on the tivo. then with a another set of cables go from the out jacks on the tivo and plug it into the tv

This is just a educated guess but if it has video in/out jacks you might be able to do it. use the out jacks on the directv hd and connect to the in jacks on the tivo. then with a another set of cables go from the out jacks on the tivo and plug it into the tv

Aside from the fact the HD Tivo's do NOT even have A/V inputs, he STILL would not be able to record in HD AT ALL from satellite - only in SD. :confused:

---------

If you want to DVR in HD from D*, you MUST use a D* DVR - there is NO way to make your HD Tivo do this from satellite. It was made to record in HD ONLY from cable or OTA. And, assuming you want the newly added HD channels, your ONLY choice is the HR20 DVR. ;)

Perhaps a little more research might be prudent before spending hundreds of dollars on a DVR that's usless for some of your HD prog - the HD Tivo's DO say:

TiVo HD and TiVo Series3 HD DO NOT support satellite service.

TiVo | TiVo HD

Last edited:
From Tivo Web site

Product Specifications:

Signal sources: Digital cable, Analog cable, Digital antenna (ATSC) and Analog antenna channels (satellite not supported)

But you DO realize he will NOT be able to record in HD AT ALL from satellite - only in SD. :confused:

---------

If you want to DVR in HD from D*, you MUST use a D* DVR - there is NO way to make your HD Tivo do this from satellite. It was made to record in HD ONLY from cable or OTA. And, assuming you want the newly added HD channels, your ONLY choice is the HR20 DVR. ;)

Perhaps a little more research might be prudent before spending hundreds of dollars on a DVR that's usless for some of your HD prog - the HD Tivo's DO say:

TiVo HD and TiVo Series3 HD DO NOT support satellite service.

TiVo | TiVo HD

That's why I put educated GUESS at the begining of my statement. Because it was just a guess :D

If it's the new series 3 HD Tivo, it is incompatible with all satellite setups. Only series 2 is compatible. I would recommend Craigs List or eBay for a Directv HD Tivo unit (HR10-250). If you want to get the new hd channels (which I recommend) get the Directv HD DVR (HR-20) or soon to be HR-21.

Thanks guys ... yes, the reason I stayed away from the DirecTV DVR was the local HD channels not being supported (need to input cable).

"Perhaps a little more research might be prudent before spending hundreds of dollars on a DVR that's usless for some of your HD prog - the HD Tivo's DO say:

TiVo HD and TiVo Series3 HD DO NOT support satellite service."

No kidding :rolleyes: ... certainly I admit it was an impulse buy since I won over 300 bucks playing black-jack at a company outing (don't gamble much and rarely win when I do) I wanted to get something in place before Saturday's college FB games. Anyway ... I can just take it back.

When you take that TiVo back, use the money from the return to get an OTA antenna and the appropriate cables... cheaper and better alternative than cable.

Or you can have D* install one on your dish for you, as long as they don't try to put in a diplexer...

When you take that TiVo back, use the money from the return to get an OTA antenna and the appropriate cables... cheaper and better alternative than cable.

Or you can have D* install one on your dish for you, as long as they don't try to put in a diplexer...

I would assume he'll be using MOST of that money to get an HR20 in it's place...but yea, do be aware that it will record OTA digital/HD as well as D* satellite.

Unfortunately, if he can't get a good OTA signal, (which is always possible) he's SOL on that front... ;)

"Unfortunately, if he can't get a good OTA signal, (which is always possible) he's SOL on that front..."

Exactly ... I could get Fox and NBC in HD with an OTA antenna, but with cable, I can get ABC, CBS, and PBS also. Most of the games I want to see/record are on ABC.

Another question ... can I feed the cable coax into OTA input of the HR20 and expect it to tune in the HD QAM channels? (I know the program guide won't work for those QAM channels, but tunning them in (so I can record them manually) is good enough for now).

Well.. now I don't have to post my meaningless thread of "Is a HD-Tivo worth it for my H20?"
Are there any plans to put satellite capability back in upcoming TiVo models?

Another question ... can I feed the cable coax into OTA input of the HR20 and expect it to tune in the HD QAM channels? (I know the program guide won't work for those QAM channels, but tunning them in (so I can record them manually) is good enough for now).

Nope. Only works for OTA signals, not cable.

Well.. now I don't have to post my meaningless thread of "Is a HD-Tivo worth it for my H20?"
Are there any plans to put satellite capability back in upcoming TiVo models?

Since D* is still developing their own new boxes (i.e. HR21), I'd say not anytime in the near future (at least with D*), but you never know...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)