New to C Band, planning a mini "farm"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
tvfool.com is a good place to see which OTA channels are available in your area.

Channels 2-50 (real channel numbers not virtual) are available where I live, so I still need the long elements for VHF-Lo. At night I can receive the San Francisco TV stations on the Sutro Tower about 100 miles away!

Welcome to Satellite Guys, 74Dusted !

For an LNBF and dish positioner, I have and would recommend the Titanium C1-PLL and ASC-1.

Score? Do the old "Porcupine"/Tree OTA antennas still work? The ones with multiple branches. If they do, I'd be looking at a different receiver to add OTA to the "farm", but it would expand my viewing options
Depending upon your TV, you may not need a receiver for the OTA antenna. Unless it is really old, many (if not all) of the sets within at least the last decade have internal tuners so that you can directly connect the OTA antenna to the coax input on the TV set. Then use the HDMI or RCA inputs for the satellite receiver and other devices.

There is an OTA forum here on SatelliteGuys: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/forums/digital-over-the-air-television-talk-by-rabbitears.46/

To see what OTA would be available in your area, at http://www.tvfool.com/, you can plug in your location and antenna height for a prediction of available VHF & UHF channels with real & virtual channel numbers, transmitter direction and predicted signal strength. Depending upon the "real channels" potentially available, you may be good to go with what your have in the photo. N6BY beat me to the post...

There is not such a thing as an antenna for digital OTA.
there is no such animal as an HDTV antenna.
How can y'all say that with this national phenomenon "as seen on TV"!?! :imshocked [ :sorrysign Had to include it...]
450.jpg

Reactions: Titanium
I had carefully crafted that sentence... :D
Yes, different meaning through sentence structure...

Here's an obvious example, not as subtle as Titanium's...

"You can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick"

I am in a somewhat similar situation as 74dusted in that I am considering applying CPR to an old 10'? 12'? mesh dish that has been in my backyard now for a decade or two. I didn't get it from my dad. Rather I used it for years before abandoning it for a little dish on my roof. (Dish for years and now Direct.) I'll need to move it as trees have grown up in front of it and block line of sight to the south, but not far.

At this point I'm not sure if I will go to the work needed to put it in use or not and at this point I am just gathering information. My 1st priority is getting my OTA reception finalized. Then I may stream the rest of the stuff we watch on Hulu, Sling, etc. But I know I'm sick of paying $100+ per month for 100's of channels I don't use. But, on the other hand, when my contract is up (this fall) and I cancel DirectTV I don't know how I am going to get Chicago Bears and Nebraska football. Without DirectTV I can't get NFL Sunday Ticket or Big10 network. As I said, information gathering.

OnSat and Orbit are both out of print. Is there a publication, web based or other, that has a listing of channels? One that says "This satellite this transponder has this network"? Remember the old centerfold grids?

Where is a business source for a C band satellite equipment such as receivers, etc.? And for a la carte programming? Just lurking until now this thread has already been very helpful. Thanks.

I am in a somewhat similar situation as 74dusted in that I am considering applying CPR to an old 10'? 12'? mesh dish that has been in my backyard now for a decade or two. I didn't get it from my dad. Rather I used it for years before abandoning it for a little dish on my roof. (Dish for years and now Direct.) I'll need to move it as trees have grown up in front of it and block line of sight to the south, but not far.

At this point I'm not sure if I will go to the work needed to put it in use or not and at this point I am just gathering information. My 1st priority is getting my OTA reception finalized. Then I may stream the rest of the stuff we watch on Hulu, Sling, etc. But I know I'm sick of paying $100+ per month for 100's of channels I don't use. But, on the other hand, when my contract is up (this fall) and I cancel DirectTV I don't know how I am going to get Chicago Bears and Nebraska football. Without DirectTV I can't get NFL Sunday Ticket or Big10 network. As I said, information gathering.

OnSat and Orbit are both out of print. Is there a publication, web based or other, that has a listing of channels? One that says "This satellite this transponder has this network"? Remember the old centerfold grids?

Where is a business source for a C band satellite equipment such as receivers, etc.? And for a la carte programming? Just lurking until now this thread has already been very helpful. Thanks.
I would suggest you just start sifting thru all of the FTA section here and you'll find out most if not more than you want to know.:biggrin

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, Matonanjin!

The most current satellite channel listing of 24/7 services is sathint.com

Likely you will find that the components on your dish only need cleaning and lubrication. You might want to upgrade the LNBs or swap out the feedhorn for a LNBF to simplify the system. Consider a DiSEqC 1.2 controller to automatically position the dish via a DVBS2 MPEG2/4 receiver.

Start a new thread with a list of the system components that you have along with photos and we will try to assist with questions and recommendations.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, Matonanjin!

The most current satellite channel listing of 24/7 services is sathint.com

Likely you will find that the components on your dish only need cleaning and lubrication. You might want to upgrade the LNBs or swap out the feedhorn for a LNBF to simplify the system. Consider a DiSEqC 1.2 controller to automatically position the dish via a DVBS2 MPEG2/4 receiver.

Start a new thread with a list of the system components that you have along with photos and we will try to assist with questions and recommendations.

Thanks, Titanium. that was helpful. I will do as you suggest but it is probably going to be a week or so before I can do that. I don't have time (or the dedication) to "sift" all the information in the FTA section. And it has much more to do with level of dedication than time.

Reactions: Titanium
Sorry I haven't stopped in guys. Nothing new to post. I got called in to cover shifts and there's some vacations going on that I'll be covering shifts for, so I'm gonna be up to my eyes in work until at least the end of next week.

The day that I had off and was gonna dismantle the 12 Footer, it did nothing but rain. I'm not that brave, to stand on a roof in the rain dismantling a BUD. So I'll be tearing it apart on my next day off

matonanjin,
As others have said, Welcome to Satguys!

I was new to the hobby, but not to C-band when I joined here. Was welcomed into the hobby and had success with little "cost" involvement and lots of encouragement. All my hardware except the LNBs and receiver are used and re-deployed. Now I only have OTA, FTA and spend $20/mo for two online services. I don't miss the dish, and I love the quality of the signals on FTA. You'll find once you're up and running that even if you can get OTA, many times the FTA is much nicer "looking." Welcome...and if I see anything I can help you with, like others, will be happy to chime-in. Get that dish revived and start asking! You've found the most polite forum on the 'net!

Remember what Sunday Ticket was on c-band satellite analog VC2+?. The network feeds turned on the Leitch scrambling system per NFL rules, all back haul or network signals needed to be scrambled. It cost $99 for the season, granted there were no red zone or other non-game channels around but not bad for $99. No HD at the time but the analog SD signal looked sooo good. What is it now on Directv, like around $300 or more now, wow!. Ahh, the memories.

Welcome to the C Band satellite management system. The channels have a non-blurry production in quality; highest quality of the world is the productions it shows so well. If i told you what channels, i would have to also tell you all the best channels; and highest qualities; and in fact every high quality channel is available (at 12 foot and larger not very much is missing; including ku and dbs). But a big dish can also use multi-sat technologies much easier; less costlier by using a motor to the max on them all. After 30 years of center focus; up to 20 satellites C/Ku/dbs as long as it has a clear az/el to the satellite you choose to aim them at; and the ku offset can be over 20. Without a loss of the Original production (like a movie theatre gets is the reality; UHD is their answer, but not a real one as one already had these production qualities already! And now the NFL pak is like 499 and not 99? Huh, wonder why C Band is the best? Because directv and disney and dish net have them at their studio's?

Last edited:
Welcome to the C Band satellite management system. The channels have a non-blurry production in quality; highest quality of the world is the productions it shows so well. If i told you what channels, i would have to also tell you all the best channels; and highest qualities; and in fact every high quality channel is available (at 12 foot and larger not very much is missing; including ku and dbs). But a big dish can also use multi-sat technologies much easier; less costlier by using a motor to the max on them all. After 30 years of center focus; up to 20 satellites C/Ku/dbs as long as it has a clear az/el to the satellite you choose to aim them at; and the ku offset can be over 20. Without a loss of the Original production (like a movie theatre gets is the reality; UHD is their answer, but not a real one as one already had these production qualities already! And now the NFL pak is like 499 and not 99? Huh, wonder why C Band is the best? Because directv and disney and dish net have them at their studio's?

This was many years ago when it was available to c-band dish owners. Almost nearly 20 years ago before Direct or Dish existed and now obviously not available on c-band anymore. I used to subscribe to it along with several other "cable" channels. Their signal was available since the scrambling system back in the day was standard so most services used it. Even though the picture was SD only, the c-band signals were the master feeds that the cable company headends used. The audio / video signal quality were fantastic.

Reactions: richyrich
These were the days, as is today; to me. As free tv, it was so beautiful as a installation; the moto(r)'s the wires; the huge feedhorns; the 2 wire-servo; the LARGENESS of all the parts; before 1981 and Ku with a mini-bud. I sold my toki; 4 foot dish workin' downconverter lnbf; now i want to buy another???. Now I want to buy it backed as the consumers credit is short lived and almost 10 pounds? It was so clear; a tv was not as good as it was; the producers cut every time...Still today, it works Commercially in UHD FTA. As the newest wideband has already been many years provided the way. That the big dishes today have every signal avail. is still amazing to myself; and the recorded value what i get to pay for. me my 10 foot dishes i find are so torn up; bullet holes; animal horn holes; Comm. burglary. I might note, the pictures today are basically a dvd qualified and recordings, memorexed into itself, wouldn't you all agree? Just look at your Commercial Equipment list today; quite a cloud it is still today; masters of the Broadcasting Industry; all there; C Band and internat. long dist.. I only tell them they work perfectly.

However, pay tv is now avail. nationally via only - directv or dish network in the usa CONUS beam with locals w/o local ads; and internet tv has no local lives; but ppv.

just remember, it is anybodies that wants to use it; the c band dish really can pickup the entire arc without moving; also; and every signal c/ku/dbs/ka bounces right into the feedhorns set correctly and aligned or skewered.

To receive every channel; you must own every type of system today, still. The delay is in what i hear and see. The quality is pre-recorded and what you all get pay tv. The realized quality is what is provided; and the channels all agree. Wired to TV. Free TV channels provided via terrestrial signals have remained the TV everybody has to have; with local antenna local ads; and hatt after hatt; even fm/am and cb is still free.

Small Comm. or large providers; what is it gonna be; UHD NEW 3D? I am paying $180 dollars per month; and all there is to watch is espn?

This was many years ago when it was available to c-band dish owners. Almost nearly 20 years ago before Direct or Dish existed and now obviously not available on c-band anymore. I used to subscribe to it along with several other "cable" channels. Their signal was available since the scrambling system back in the day was standard so most services used it. Even though the picture was SD only, the c-band signals were the master feeds that the cable company headends used. The audio / video signal quality were fantastic.

Last edited:
During the time i have used, installed, and per-used this item; an 4-6-8-10 foot dish; c or ku or both; i have seen every channel available for free tv first (and all the debut's of new channels, like scifi, sportsmans channel; and even when there were only 5 digital channels (all Arabic/Farsi) and the rest were analog still; the new channels, in competition to get tiered; were on c band then, as they are today trying to get "carried" by everybody; they can just send their recording if they want to today; or send it via c/ku/dbs/ka or ONLY terrestrially; giving themselves to every provider first; or one provider, then the next. C Band FTA DVB-S2 debuts the best format first in and up to UHD. Who you gonna be JT or Jw2016 or C Band dish in your studio just directv?

Remember what Sunday Ticket was on c-band satellite analog VC2+?. The network feeds turned on the Leitch scrambling system per NFL rules, all back haul or network signals needed to be scrambled. It cost $99 for the season, granted there were no red zone or other non-game channels around but not bad for $99. No HD at the time but the analog SD signal looked sooo good. What is it now on Directv, like around $300 or more now, wow!. Ahh, the memories.
Yeah, $99, that was back in 1994 and, as you say, the picture quality was really good. What was even better was the days of the stadium wildfeeds for many of the games. What I loved about the wildfeeds was --- no announcers/talking heads, just stadium audio, and no commercials. To me the ideal OTA signal would be using the 2nd audio for just the stadium audio. I'm getting really tired of muting Joe Buck & Troy Aikman (the biggest whiner in all of televised sports), and occassionally Phil Simms.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)