New to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tim1970

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 23, 2005
Here is my situation:

I am moving to my new house (Where cable is not available), so I am planning on getting D*. I live too far away from station broadcasts (about 70 miles) to be able to recieve OTA HD. However since I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth market area, I should be eligible for HD locals by the end of the summer, correct?

I will need 4 recievers, with one of them being HD. Also my wife insists on a DVR, but with the high cost of the HD DVRS now, I am just thinking about a SD DVR.

With all that said, what would be the best setup for my situation? 3 SD boxes, and a 4th HD box, with a standalone DVR, or Have 2 boxes for my main TV, one HD, and one SD/DVR? If I did this I would have 5 total boxes. Would this be possible? Also, would the signal to my main tv be weakened, by having to be split?

Also, can I choose which HD box I get, or am I stuck with whatever the installer happens to bring out? Does it make that much of a difference?

I see a lot of references to Value Electronics, would they be able to help me out?

Thanks in Advance

Tim

You can 2 boxes for your main TV. I have mine that way. HD and an SD Tivo. Your signal would not be split, can't split a sat signal like you can with cable. Each receiver will have their own run from the sat dish or from a multi switch.

If you are doing 3 SD receiver, an HD and an SD Tivo, you would need a total of 6 lines run. The Tivo uses 2 lines for 2 tuner capability.

Using VE you could get whatever receiver you want, assuming it is in stock.

HD locals should be by end of September.

Depending on where exactly you are, you will most likely get CBS, NBC and FOX HD from New York feeds. This is because the networks are Owned and Operated. ABC is not O&O, it is Belo Corp.(Dallas Morning News).

Folks close to Sherman have had trouble getting them added and needed to submit for waivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts