New to DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

storm6969

Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Idaho
Hi All, I have been a dish customer for some years but am switching to dtv. I did all of my own installation with dish, even to HD. I have a couple of questions reagarding dtv that I have not been able to find the answers to. I have searched everywhere I can but just haven't been able to find what I need. Maybe I am searching in the wrong places so I will ask the experts here for some help.:)

1. I have the slimline dish with a SL3S4NR2-03 LNB. Will this work to receive HD programming?

2. I want to get some international channels and I know that this will require an additional dish. Exactly what dish configuration will I need for that?

3. Dish had a multi switch to combine 2 seperate dish's. Does dtv have the same or what will I need to combine the 2 different signals?

4. What satellite is the international programming on?

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys may offer.

First, you DO realize that YOU are going to be paying several hundred $$$ for all the equipment needed just in dishes & switches alone, since you are wanting international prog. (& yes, it DOES require a separate international dish & requires a switch to combine w/the slimline) Since you are a new sub, & D* will provide EVERYTHING needed for FREE & install it properly, why do you want to go through all this - especially since you WILL be under a 2 year committment either way??? :confused:

dishrich said:
First, you DO realize that YOU are going to be paying several hundred $$$ for all the equipment needed just in dishes & switches alone, since you are wanting international prog. (& yes, it DOES require a separate international dish & requires a switch to combine w/the slimline) Since you are a new sub, & D* will provide EVERYTHING needed for FREE & install it properly, why do you want to go through all this - especially since you WILL be under a 2 year committment either way??? :confused:

Very good points ....

While some people prefer to do their own set ups ( I am one of them), there is a time when it is best to let D* do it...
In the OP's situation, that is one of them, specifically seeing the number of things involved in your set up.

The fact that THEY supply all of the dishes and switches vs paying for them out of your pocket is a MAJOR one in this case.

It would be Very Expensive otherwise.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Hi All, I have been a dish customer for some years but am switching to dtv. I did all of my own installation with dish, even to HD. I have a couple of questions reagarding dtv that I have not been able to find the answers to. I have searched everywhere I can but just haven't been able to find what I need. Maybe I am searching in the wrong places so I will ask the experts here for some help.:)

1. I have the slimline dish with a SL3S4NR2-03 LNB. Will this work to receive HD programming?

2. I want to get some international channels and I know that this will require an additional dish. Exactly what dish configuration will I need for that?

3. Dish had a multi switch to combine 2 seperate dish's. Does dtv have the same or what will I need to combine the 2 different signals?

4. What satellite is the international programming on?

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys may offer.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

As others have said, you may be better off letting Directv handle the installation, unless your location is an issue. If so, don't worry, we aren't too anal about that here like at some other sites. Let us know, and we can help. Good luck either way!

thanks for the help so far

Thanks for the reply's and they ahve been helpful so far. The one thing that I forget to mention is that I will be getting my programming for free. I am starting to work for a company that does the customer service for d**. One of the benifits of employment is receiving the d** programming for free so there will not be a 2 year contract.

I already have the slimline dish with the SL3S4NR2-03 LNB which from what I have found out so far is good for HD reception.

I think that I will only need an addition dish for a single satellite used for international channels. Is this correct? If so then do I need a special dish or just one of the smaller 18" oval dishes?

I have not been able to find the information of the required switchs or combiner so any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at the HR-24 HD receiver but I see there are a few different versions, which one is recommended.

I am just trying to put everything together to make a better informed decision so all of your comments are welcomed.

Thanks all for your help

I just went through this with D* and it took them awhile to get the order right.
But in the end it worked out great.

This is what i have:

you need the DirecTV AU9-SL3 to get 99, 101, 103 slots AND DirecTV WorldDirect DTVP36EDS to get the 95 slot

Note: The AU9-SL3 is an HD slimline dish.

I'll send some photos when i get home from work today.

Mike

Just a few photos of my International and HD setup.

IMG_20111007_164402.jpg

IMG_20111007_164425.jpg

IMG_20111007_164436.jpg

IMG_20111007_164446.jpg

Wow, all of this help has been great so far. This is what I know, or at least think I know so far.

1. I need the larger WorldDirect DTVP36EDS dish to get the international channels. I have loctaed one with the LNB for around $50.

2. I need the d** compatible switch to combine the signals from the two dishes. I found the Zinwell Wide Band WB68 6X8 switch for around $20. Will this work okay?

3. I think that I have the AU9-SL3 dish and LNB already. I could not find any model number or writing on the dish of any kind other than the "Slimline" logo painted on the front. I did check the LNB and it is the SL3S4NR2-03 which from what I have read will work for HD reception.

I have been looking at the HD receivers and have decided to get the HR-24 series. I have seen them listed as HR-24 - 500 or 700 etc. What is the difference in these and can some make a recommendation as to which is the best for both price and quality.

Again, I want to thank everyone for all of the help so far. I will get there and so far it is because of all the great help here.

It looks like you have all of the right stuff. The difference between the dvrs is the manufacturer. They are really the same, and the best one Directv has to this point.

Before you spend a lot more money, you had better make doubly certain that DIRECTV will open an account for you. Generally speaking, a professional installation is a pre-requisite to opening an HD or international account and getting any promotional goodies.

Don't take the website's word for it.

Note that I'm not in any way defending or recommending DIRECTV's way of doing things. I'm simply advocating that you don't get caught with a bunch of gear that they may not authorize.

Looks like they did a great job on the install

Thanks Iceberg. Yes they did a fantastic job. Both inside and outside.
They buried the cables outside from the dishes to the house.
On the inside they fished ALL cables to both 52 inch plasmas (One in the finished basement and the other in the front living room) in the walls with outlets at both locations.

The best part is it didn't cost me a dime for the install.
Just a modest tip.

Mike

I had been satisified with dish before but with this new job it only makes sense to switch to D**. The new company that I start with on Monday is a call center for D**. As a benifit of working there you get ALL of the D** programming for free. Plus in checking they also have a better international package as well. My wife is Chinese and has been wanting some Chinese programs for some time and dish didn't have any to offer other than a free one in english. Harshness, you may be right as I really know nothing about the inner workings of d** yet. If they do require a professional installation and a 2 year contract then I will just stay with dish since I have no contract and all of the equipment. If I can get in to d** for a reasonable cost then it is to my benefit to switch. It looks as though I can get in to d** with what I need for around $300 and if the programming is free then I am still way ahead.

Is there any specific HR-24 that you guys would recommend? Any known issues with any of them?

You guys have been the greatest so far and I really do appreciate all of the help. Any further suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

wife is Chinese and has been wanting some Chinese programs for some time

Same here ( Wife is Chinese) The MandarinDirect III is what we have.
We love it.

Has 8 Channels and is priced right.

I had been satisified with dish before but with this new job it only makes sense to switch to D**. The new company that I start with on Monday is a call center for D**. As a benifit of working there you get ALL of the D** programming for free. Plus in checking they also have a better international package as well. My wife is Chinese and has been wanting some Chinese programs for some time and dish didn't have any to offer other than a free one in english. Harshness, you may be right as I really know nothing about the inner workings of d** yet. If they do require a professional installation and a 2 year contract then I will just stay with dish since I have no contract and all of the equipment. If I can get in to d** for a reasonable cost then it is to my benefit to switch. It looks as though I can get in to d** with what I need for around $300 and if the programming is free then I am still way ahead.

Is there any specific HR-24 that you guys would recommend? Any known issues with any of them?

You guys have been the greatest so far and I really do appreciate all of the help. Any further suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Any of the HR24's would be fine.
IF your programming is Free, it's a NO Brainer, isn't it ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts