New to Forum

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome Fizbi, I've never been further than maybe 25 miles west of the Mississippi. But, I've seen K2 News on several occassions. I just love FTA, and around here, I'm not alone....

:waveWelcome to SatelliteGuys :wave

When I first started with FTA I found the other fourms also looking for help with my system setup and to understand true FTA better. It was sad to see the hackers talking about stealing services. They would not like it if someone ripped them off I bet. Theft of service is criminal bottom line no different than shoplifting, dine and dash ect.

When the hackers show up here normally they do not last long at all and are spotted quickly. Great group of folks here that have helped me lots in all the posts I have read.

Enjoy!

I agree.

After I setup my FTA system and got it all working, I was impressed with what I could receive.

After poking around in the other forums, it was quickly apparant that "them" other guys were playing a game I did not want to participate in. Keeping up with changes is hard on the brain. I don't think them other guys are mentaly stable.

Anyway, we like what we see in FTA. My wife is addicted to FOX News and we have been thrilled to get it in the clear.

Things will get better after I finish fine tuning the dish, again.
My two sons accidently WHACKED the dish with an umbrella. They don't understand yet that no dish = no PBS kids!

welcome :wave to the forum

we have the BEST FTA site out there. We don't belive in stealing and believe in the fun exciting world of FTA

as voomvoom noted, a few of us watch K2 news (some on a regualr basis) :)

Welcome!!! We are Honest free to air guys here! We don't get into the hack scene. There is plenty of legit free stuff to see and hear.

We do enjoy it when the hacker's stuff goes down and we can buy expensive HD receivers on Fleabay for dirt cheap because they "don't work" LOL. Oh well.....Their loss. Just reflash the receivers back to their original factory software and you have a good as new functional true free to air receiver.

...as voomvoom noted, a few of us watch K2 news (some on a regualr basis) :)

Due to my "out there" rural location, going FTA was a no brainer.
We get nothing out here. Too many mountains blocking the local towers.

We can get K2 on rabbit ears but it's a very bad signal. After comparing the cost of erecting my own tower to FTA and subscriber networks, we went with FTA. Even Internet access is marginal at best. I had to install Wildblue just to send/receive email. The phone lines out here barely work for dialup.

Anyway, been happy with FTA for a year now. I tell folks about it and they look at me with squinted eyes.

Fizbi
Welcome, I am interested in what you chose for a setup. Do you have a motor? You mentioned a tower - did you erect one? We love pictures around here. FTA can be very addictive, some of us can't help ourselves:D. Welcome again and have fun.
Bob

Fizbi
Welcome, I am interested in what you chose for a setup. Bob

Hi Bob.

I have the following setup (standard package):

1. CS5000 receiver
2. H-H Motor SG2100
3. 4-Way-DiSEqC-Switch
4. Invacom QPH-031 - Quad Polar LNBF
5. Fortec 85CM dish - slightly warped from shipping, and painted brown to match the house.
6. 100 feet of quad cable from Wally Mart

I get just about everything from 74W to 129W until the winds pick up and start wobbling the dish (and house). I get anywhere from 64 to 99 on the quality meter.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Due to my "out there" rural location, going FTA was a no brainer.
those are the BEST folks to have FTA :)

We get nothing out here. Too many mountains blocking the local towers.
do you have another provider for TV or is it just FTA?

We can get K2 on rabbit ears but it's a very bad signal. After comparing the cost of erecting my own tower to FTA and subscriber networks, we went with FTA. Even Internet access is marginal at best. I had to install Wildblue just to send/receive email. The phone lines out here barely work for dialup.
I think I might have answered my own question :eek:

1. CS5000 receiver
have the same receiver and love it :)
2. H-H Motor SG2100
3. 4-Way-DiSEqC-Switch
4. Invacom QPH-031 - Quad Polar LNBF
5. Fortec 85CM dish - slightly warped from shipping, and painted brown to match the house.
6. 100 feet of quad cable from Wally Mart
sounds like a great setup.

Since you mentioned in your other post, the only station you get OTA is a fuzzy K2TV, have you thought of getting a C-Band dish just for the networks? On Galaxy 16 (99W) C-Band there are the 5 networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW) from Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands. Also My Network is on there too (both east & west feed). They're basically the NY stations with the NY news stripped out and different commercials, but that would be an option for the networks. And for you being in Mountain timezone, they would be "timeshifting" (an hour earlier) ;)
Also gives different options for sports
I have a 6 foot dish aimed just at 99W for that

on a side note, always wanted to go see Montana/Wyoming area. Heard its really nice there :)

have the same receiver and love it :)

sounds like a great setup.

Since you mentioned in your other post, the only station you get OTA is a fuzzy K2TV, have you thought of getting a C-Band dish just for the networks? ...
on a side note, always wanted to go see Montana/Wyoming area. Heard its really nice there :)

It's a great setup! My family loves it! The CS5000 has worked quite well till I beat it up last night.

Been thinking of C band so I can get KCWY (they have a BIG dish farm!), where I do occasional consulting work as a broadcast engineer.

I have a neighbor (15 miles away!) who stopped using his C band dish. I may try talking him out of it if I can figure out how to transplant it to my property. Right now, it's slowly being eaten by the Wyoming landscape. It's a shame too.

Wyoming is absolutely beautiful. We moved here three years ago. I'm about 20 miles outside of Casper on the back side of the mountain. I moved here from LA, CA at the housing market peak. It was like winning the Lotto. I left behind the overcrowded concrete slabbed wasteland for the wide open prairie. I can see the Milkyway again!

:hungry:

Been thinking of C band so I can get KCWY (they have a BIG dish farm!), where I do occasional consulting work as a broadcast engineer.
sweet :) I sometimes forget KCWY as my 6 footer doesn't get it :(
(It did get it last year)

I have a neighbor (15 miles away!) who stopped using his C band dish. I may try talking him out of it if I can figure out how to transplant it to my property. Right now, it's slowly being eaten by the Wyoming landscape. It's a shame too.
depending on the size you might be able to haul it in a trailer. If its mesh you could split it in two (I did that with a 10 footer. The dish came apart into 6 pieces

Wyoming is absolutely beautiful. We moved here three years ago. I'm about 20 miles outside of Casper on the back side of the mountain. I moved here from LA, CA at the housing market peak. It was like winning the Lotto. I left behind the overcrowded concrete slabbed wasteland for the wide open prairie.

God that's how I felt when I moved from Minneapolis to the outskirts of Duluth, MN...sadly I'm back in Mpls :(

welcome

If you'll take a stroll through the BUD section, you'll find where many guys have located a dish, posted pictures and asked questions, then moved it home and gotten it refurbished and running.

The guys here have tons of experience, and go back a long ways to identify the most esoteric old hardware!
I've soaked up plenty of knowledge on the subject, just reading the threads.
And whatever experiences you bring to the table will be well received, too.

Post some pix of that dish you have your eye on, and I'll bet within a day or two, you'll have a number of comments as to it's heritage and desirability. - :up

I like your setup! Glad it was just a switch (from another thread) I have fried more than one DiSEqC switch by not turning the power off before disconnecting the coax. I think that it is an initiation ritual!
Bob

I like your setup! Glad it was just a switch (from another thread) I have fried more than one DiSEqC switch by not turning the power off before disconnecting the coax. I think that it is an initiation ritual!
Bob

Your not alone in cooking a DiSEqc switch. It took 2 for me the learn. Once was learning and the second time I just got in a hurry..dumb, but I check now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts