New to FREE TO AIR...need info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NitrousGT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I was reading the forum and wondering how efficient FTA systems are. Do you get all the channels as you do with DIRECTV or DISH? Or is it some of the channels? Is it worth it and how easy is it to set up? This is the system i was looking at, would i need anything else?
http://www.gosatellite.com/captiveworks_premium-16976-prd1.html

If there are any other systems that you all think is better or gets more channels please post the link.

btw, my zip is 22026.

Thanks

You do not get the same channels as Dish or DirecTV.

Maybe a few networks and some educational channels like Nasa......

All the systems get the same channels, the BEST systems out there are the ones our GOLD sponsors (At top of page) sell!

I use the DVB World USB receiver hooked to my PC, unlike most receivers I get HD and 4:2:2 broadcasts!

Do any of the systems have a HDMA connection? I was looking at the channel list, i notice its mostly foreign channels and some educational channels, u dont get stuff like ESPN or TBS or anything like that. What system is good if i have a HDTV with built in HD TUNER?

Thanks

There are HD FTA receivers out there but they very expensive, I am sure Diamond Jim or owners of these receivers will add to this thread.

No ESPN and TBS as such but the GREAT thing about FTA are the FEEDS!

We are talking HD Baseball, football, Hockey, soccer................ and SO much more.
The problem is other than the networks available you just never know what you will find up there, finds are NEVER mentioned here in the open area!

Another great thing about FTA are all the LIVE News feeds from around the world!

If its happening its usually on FTA! We are talking LIVE car chases, volcano's, disasters...........

stone phillips420 said:
man i miss the car chases that used to be on fox la

:) I mainly watch news feeds and LIVE sports, I like the car chases, but my favorite must be the live cameras in helicopters. They hover for hours sometimes beanming back live pictures to the studios, now thats worth getting a FTA system for alone!

I watched one live helicopter feed the other day and the camera was LIVE all the way to the "Wild Fire" and even all the back to the airport for refueling!

Make sure the system you get has BLIND SCAN, its a must. As is a motor (IMO) you want to be able to pick up AS MUCH FTA as you can.

The in built TV tuner will only work for off air and DirecTV (As far as I know, I use the PC for that) you still need a DVB HD receiver. (Or card for PC)

so the motorized unit is a must? As i change the channels the dish will rotate accordingly? Will a bigger dish get more channels, or are they all the same? Can i get any complete package for under $300 with morotized unit, or are they all over $300?

PSB, whats a blind scan, what does it do?

Yes there are complete motorized systems for WELL under $300!

A bigger dish will not bring you any more channels, it will help with weaker signals and will also help in the rain.

Blind Scan scans the satellite for any feeds or channels, it more or less does all the hard work for you! The feeds and channels just pop into the channel list!

After aiming the dish at your true south satellite and setting up all the channels, if you change to a channel on another satellite the dish moves automatically and the channel pops up on the TV!

QUALI-TV QS 1080IR HD FTA receiver

Do a search on this HD FTA receiver for more info......

Thanks for the link PSB, wow, that receiver is over $600. What receiver can i get for under $300 that has a motor? are there any links, i have been checking the sites and cant find anything with blind scan and motor for under $300 for a complete set.

The Qualitv receiver does not have Blind scan (unfortunately) , it has all other scan functions. If the TP is not factory stored, you have to manually enter it, so unless you have another receiver that does Blind scan or you can get the info from another source, you probably don't want this receiver. Remember this receiver is made in Europe and the factory loaded TP's are of the European Birds, not the US birds. You will manually have to enter every TP.
The Qualitv receiver does not have an HDMI output. It has YPbPr (component) or DVI for HD connection.
There is no way I would part with mine, but I would not recommend it to a beginner. It is not user friendly, you have to learn to get along with it. But, it works great. It has it's quirks, but it does what I want it to do. If HD is what you want, this receiver will get you HD. It will also do 4:2:2 feeds that other receivers won't do.
Take note# if you only have a ku dish (system), there isn't but one channel 24/7, and that's PBS HD. NBC HD is on ku, but I can hardly ever find it, I think it's scrambled (encrypted). All other HD on ku comes from Wild feeds.
Good luck with your decision.....

Al

Thanks for the info VOOMVOOM, i currently have an OTA UHF antenna that i use to get basic channels so i am not too worried about those, just about the other channels. Well since that HD receiver is out of the range i want to spend, what other receiver will u recommend that is user friendly and have blind scan? any links?

I LIKE and use the Fortec and Traxis DBS 3500 receivers, both have BLIND Scan and USALS :)

NitrousGT said:
Well since that HD receiver is out of the range i want to spend, what other receiver will u recommend that is user friendly and have blind scan? any links?
NitrousGT, if it's HD you're looking for, you might want to consider the DVB WORLD USB Receiver. You can get a look at it here:
http://www.psbsatellite.com/
I'm not familier with it, but I've read good things about it. You can read the Review here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55482
Good Luck on whatever you decide on....

Al

I don't think you HAVE to have HD tv to receive some of the HDTV channels? Some of them, yes, but not all I think... I get something called HDTV promo on one of the satellites and it's find on my analog tv.

mastermesh said:
I don't think you HAVE to have HD tv to receive some of the HDTV channels? Some of them, yes, but not all I think... I get something called HDTV promo on one of the satellites and it's find on my analog tv.
master, you have to have an HD receiver to be able to get HD, and you can then watch HD if you have an HD tv, but you don't have to watch HD on your HD set, you can watch it in SD or you don't have to have an HD tv, you can watch the HD channel on a regular set, with it being downconverted to SD 480.
Also, the HDTV you are talking about on Amazonas is the name of the Company, it's not an HD signal. So, in theory, you can watch HDTV from any FTA receiver. Only it's not an HD signal.

Al

Edit: I've given some thought to the HDTV on Amazonas, and I think it doesn't stand for HD (High Definition), but it stands for HD (Hard Drive) programming. I've noticed several times, one of the channels is going through a D* PVR. So, it must stand for HD (Hard Drive).

Last edited:
I just assumed it was HDTV since it was HD TV... guess it's not. Sorry.

You know what assuming does.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)