New to FTA and need help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mayo1024

Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

This is a great forum!
Anyway, I am thinking of buying an FTA system with a motorized dish. Based on all the information here it should be fairly simple to hook up. But, what I'm having trouble envisioning is how to hook this system up to two receivers. I was planning on purchasing a Invacom Quad Linear and Circular LNB and I don't know the combination of multiswitches and diseqc switches to install for two receivers and still be able to use the motor.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the traditional way you would hook one receiver to a motor and QPH-031 LNB.
And the other receiver would be connected to a similar 4x1 diseqc switch to the other two outputs of the LNB, but not via the motor!
This leaves motor control to only one receiver.

A variation, lets you connect the #2 receiver to the "loop out" of the first receiver.
When both are active, the #2 receiver can only get the satellite and H or V polarity of the first receiver.
Under some circumstances, if the first receiver is turned off, the #2 receiver may be able to command the motor.
I've read about this approach, but haven't evaluated it and can't offer info on how many receivers would be compatible this way.

It will be interesting if other members can come up with a solution that's more to your liking. :)

Here is the traditional way you would hook one receiver to a motor and QPH-031 LNB.
And the other receiver would be connected to a similar 4x1 diseqc switch to the other two outputs of the LNB, but not via the motor!
This leaves motor control to only one receiver.

I read your tutorial, it's awesome. Things make much better sense now. :eureka
Thanks!

A variation, lets you connect the #2 receiver to the "loop out" of the first receiver.
When both are active, the #2 receiver can only get the satellite and H or V polarity of the first receiver.
Under some circumstances, if the first receiver is turned off, the #2 receiver may be able to command the motor.
I've read about this approach, but haven't evaluated it and can't offer info on how many receivers would be compatible this way.
I think I'll start off with just one receiver for now and do a lot more reading. There's a lot to learn.

It will be interesting if other members can come up with a solution that's more to your liking. :)
Your solution is fine for me. But I'm always open to any suggestions. Thanks again!

If you want more than two receivers, or only want one switch to be involved, you can use a 4 x 4 (or even 4 x 8 for up to 8 receivers) 22k multiswitch such as the Zinwell SAM-4402-3A for the Invacom Quad. Linear (L) outputs go to the two 0k inputs (often labeled 101w), Circular (C) outputs go to the two 22k inputs. Switch goes between the motor and LNBF.

Turn 22k 'ON' for circular satellites.

Mr Tron brings up a very good point.
I tend to think of diseqc switches as 50¢ throw-away items... or not over $5, at any rate.
Certainly for more than two receivers, the 4x4 or 4x8 multiswitch is THE solution!

Only problem is, it still won't let you command your dish-motor with any but the one receiver....and I thought that was what you were going for.
We really need a way you could turn on any one of several receivers, and take control of your motor.
... as you might want to do with a living room and bedroom receiver.

Of course, if you're only going to run the one receiver for a while, there's plenty of time to shop for or decide on appropriate switching hardware. - :up
The LNB you got leaves open so many choices.

PS: thanks for the compliments on the tutorial.
It's just a compilation of the fine info and advice passed out by the fellows here on the forum.
All I did was put it in one place. (and add a few pictures)

We really only have two TVs in the house, so if only one controls the dish then that's fine...just can't wait to fight over the remote with the wife. She's tiny but fiesty. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts