New to FTA, Found dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MidKnight

Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm new to FTA and only thing I have is a scrap heap dish I found where they were pulling down a building. What can it be used for and do I need a different LNB? I live in South Carolina. Here is the dish and feed horn. The Dish is 30 in X 40 in and the feed horn has ZINWELL DRO LNB, R.F.: 11.75 ~ 12.20 GHz, I.F.: 950 ~ 1450 MHz, N.F. .8dB What is a inexpensive receiver I could get to use? Thamks, MidKnight

Attachments

• GEDC0380.JPG
    GEDC0380.JPG
    655.7 KB · Views: 305
  • GEDC0382.JPG
    GEDC0382.JPG
    993.8 KB · Views: 275
Welcome to the site MidKnight!

If the LNB and Feed are ok that will work for several things that are up there. Some of the DVB-S2 stuff require a bit bigger dish but that one will get your feet wet. There are a few receivers around that you can find used. I would spend time searching the forums here and read read read, then ask ask ask. We will be glad to help any newbie become an oldie. ;) So have you ever played with FTA at all in the past or know anybody locally that does? It is a fun hobby, it won't replace DISH or Directv, but there tons of stuff to find up there.

That dish should work well for most of the Ku-band stuff up there, but I think you will be limited to one polarity at a time with that feed/LNB setup.

You can search "The List" (tab on top of page) and Lyngsat for what is available FTA on Ku-band.

Welcome Midnight, this is the best place to learn it all from the pro's doing this. Not to change the subject or anything, I noticed Muzak was labeled on the Dish. I've worked with this vendor here on the west coast in one of the hospitals I support. They provide music streaming services for your call centers and all sorts of other related music on hold services to digital signage, CCTV. I was just curios what bird is the Muzak dishes pointing to if anybody knows. I've seen the dish on one of the buildings before, but never asked them.

You'll need a receiver. Find a used DVB-S receiver on 'bay**, aim at 97W. There's more to it than just that, but it's a start. (99% on 97W is DVB-S)
** post what you find by here for :up :down comments before purchase. (Can skip some !!!&^%!!) But we can't vouch for most any individual selling their used equipment. So maybe a new DVB-S2 out of the gate?? Then you'd be 'good to go' on the newer DVB-S2 transmission standard. (PBS @125W for one)
Is the hardware on the back of the dish to mount it on a pole?
97W (G19) will be to your south southwest approx 45 degrees above the horizon. http://www.dishpointer.com/ Put in you location, select satelllite, draws a line to the satellite.
Another source to check out is the Ku Band (domestic) channel list at http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
How about another picture(s) of the LNB, and how its attached, without the cover. curious to see if you can easily put a new LNBF on it so you get both polarities.

Dish is probably a Channel Master. The LNB is a single polarity WR-75 flanged model bolted to a waveguide adapter, which is bolted to the C-120 flanged feedhorn.

Remove the LNB and waveguide adapter from the feedhorn, replace with a dual polarity C-120 flanged LNB, and you'll be set.

Welcome Midnight, this is the best place to learn it all from the pro's doing this. Not to change the subject or anything, I noticed Muzak was labeled on the Dish. I've worked with this vendor here on the west coast in one of the hospitals I support. They provide music streaming services for your call centers and all sorts of other related music on hold services to digital signage, CCTV. I was just curios what bird is the Muzak dishes pointing to if anybody knows. I've seen the dish on one of the buildings before, but never asked them.

Muzak is at 103W AMC-1 12145 V 20000 3/4

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'd keep that dish and test it out for now. There are many receivers you can choose from depending on your budget.

Just make sure u get one that does DVB-S2 and h264 with great Blind Scan.

I can suggest one in particular that is amazing with blind scan.. and less then $57.00 shipped on ebay.

But if you wanna spend more on other brands and models.. its really up to You :D

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks guys.
I just now got the time to get back on the web.

So lets see.
The dish does have a mounting bracket on the back. Looks to be 2".
I'll check the bay for a used receiver to start. DVB-S2, and a dual polarity C-120 flanged LNB.
Then maybe one day a H to H when I get the time.

Now to find the time to mount the dish where it can see to most sky. Lots of trees. ( :Dnow where did I put that chainsaw?)

Two choices

Some time ago, Phlatwound located an LNB that might do the job.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/290333-Ku-band-C120-feed-LNB-on-5-spun-aluminum-prime-focus-dish

And don't throw away that WR-75 adapter.
It is a disc about the size of a silver dollar and maybe 1/4" thick.
You need to remove it and your LNB to get to the business end of your feedhorn.
Nobody really uses them any more, but I need one for a test jig I'm building.

If this solution is too expensive, any Standard or Universal LNBF will work pretty good.
We can help you mount it , replacing the original feedhorn (and everything).

Kind of a toss up between a better LNBF and round feedhorn, or a feed matched to the dish with a generic LNB. :)
Both will work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts