New to FTA satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A lot of these FAQs don't apply to your situation... yet... but some do.
Reading this info will get you the vocabulary to better discuss FTA.

We'll work with ya, so don't get frustrated and give up.

Polarization is not a factor with circular (L/R) polarized DBS LNB.
On a multi LNB DBS satellite dish (Phase III / Dish 500...)
Now I asked about skew in my very first post; it would have been nice to know that I don't have to bother with skew given that my Phase III LNBs are circular and therefore don't need skew adjusting. I've been googling, yahooing, and searching the forum for information on setting skew when it turns out I didn't have to. With me being a complete noob at this, the less I have to concern myself with, the better for you and I:)

When that Bird (satellite) is 22,300 miles from you and your neighbor. I don't think 197' is going to make any difference. You will both be pointing in the same direction.
You see a noob can relate to this answer. Basically that statement would help a noob who is wondering if his/her elevation setting would be set to the same value no matter if the dish is installed on a three foot pole or on the roof of a house.:up

Setting the elevation is self-explanatory; If your elevation is 48, then set the ticker on the satellite to 48.

Azimuth is not so simple, well at least for me it isn't. I've asked and asked and asked, but all I've received is your LNBs won't this, your LNBs won't that, you will only get one bird, why do you have that receiver, etc. None of which help me with my issue. Let me ask this way; If a dish had a built in compass, then I could move the dish left or right until the compass reflected my given azimuth. But guess what, the compass is not built in. So that means I would have to hold the compass in my hand, turn until I find, lets say 188 degrees. Once I've found 188 degrees, with the compass in hand, then what? Do I put the compass down and try to remember where 188 degrees is as I'm pointing the dish? Do I stand under the dish at 188 degrees and try to alternate looking up at the dish and down at the compass. All of that is based on whether I feel the dish is pointing at 188 degrees. I haven't read anything that stated I should turn the dish until I feel the dish is in the right position; every guide specifically states point the dish at your obtained azimuth.

Let me put it another way, if my son came to me and stated his universal remote doesn't control his tv. I tell him you must find your tv code and program it in; keep in mind he has never done this before. He comes to me and states that he has found the code but he doesn't know how to program it in. I tell him to stand in front of the tv, point the remote at the tv and enter the code. He comes back to me and states that he did exactly what I told him, but no luck. Again I tell him to stand in front of the tv, point the remote at the tv and enter the code. If I never tell him he has to hold button X for three seconds, then enter his code, then push start, he'll never program the remote.

I'm sure you already did it a dozen times, but I just reconfirmed all your numbers and angles.
What I like to do, is get my azimuth dialed in, then raise and lower the lnb to look for my bird.
I've always had pretty good luck getting the dish aimed right.
And I like using a $10 meter, turning on 22khz tone if necessary.
But do consider that the dish may be twisted or the LNB arm may be off-center just a wee bit.

What I do, is take a 25¢ compass and lay it on the side of an 18" level.
Mine is an aluminum I-beam shape. On its side, it looks like an H.
Rotate the compass 'till the N needle points to N
Maintaining the needle on N, align N and S on the compass parallel to the I-beam
This is trivial to do by eye, as long as you have a steady hand.
Now the level is set exactly to magnetic N/S

Holding everything steady, rotate the compass body 'till the S end of the needle is pointing to 107
If you are unsteady, you could tape the compass at this point, but I don't.
Now, rotate the whole assembly 'till the N needle points to the N, again.
Your level will now be exactly lined up with 107.

Using the long (18" in my case) level, it's easy to see if your dish is pointed correctly.
Alternately, you could sight along the level and find a distant object for future alignments.
I have a distant power pole I use for one of my dishes.
Do the above procedure several feet from any metal that would attract the compass.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, hold the level -level-, sight along it and look for an interfering building or tree!
You should be able to see if you have a problem using this technique.
I don't have a $200 professional instrument for this job, so I improvise.
If the ancient Egyptians could align multiple pyramids to a degree or so, we can surely do as well !

That still assumes a lot. Does the level lay on the ground? Do you hold the level and compass in your hand? After you find 107 with the level and compass how does that relate to pointing the dish? Maybe the "level" I'm thinking of is not what you are referring to. Remember, I've never seen this done before, so its not wise not assume that I know anything. When it comes to explanations like this, picture illustrations are in order.

What about this RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Satellite TV accessories: Winegard® Satellite Finder

what complications would I run into trying to point the dish with it?

So Now I know to concentrate on tuning the dvb card to either 61.5, 105, 110, 121, 129, and 148. Now remember, at this point its not important whether I can view the channels; I just want to tune the card to one of the compatible satellites.

Now question on pointing the dish. I have this signal meter RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Satellite TV accessories: Winegard® Satellite Finder

An azimuth of 208 and elevation of 48.3

Setting the elevation is simple. I just adjust the setting on the dish labeled elevation, to 48.3. If this is incorrect, please say "no, thats not how that is done." Then proceed to tell me where I went wrong.

Now the azimuth is where I get really confused and no one has cleared this up for me. You know how I mentioned I can just set the elevation to 48.3 on the area of my dish labeled "elevation", well this is impossible when it comes to my azimuth. On the area of my dish where the azimuth is set (mine says tilt) the highest number I can set that to is 140, but the azimuth I need to set my dish to is 208. I keep stating that I'm missing something, because there is no way for me to set my dish to 208 when the number 208 is not on my dish.

So I ask again, what is the relationship between the azimuth of 208 and the numbers on my dish which range from 0-140 (0 is the furthest most left number and 140 is the furthest most right number)

Finally, waaaahooooo:clap I got channels on 7 transponders, my signal strength is 43 and quality is 45:clap

I used the compass like you guys stated, but you were confusing me with the statement "point at the azimuth" meaning exact location, when all the compass is need for is a general location the azimuth. Once I was close to the azimuth I begin to adjust my dish until the meter beeped. Once it did, I went into the house, fired up MT, scan the satellite, and bam. Now most of the channels are scramble, but that doesn't concern me, I just wanted to be able to tune in to the satellite

Finally, waaaahooooo:clap I got channels on 7 transponders, my signal strength is 43 and quality is 45:clap

I used the compass like you guys stated, but you were confusing me with the statement "point at the azimuth" meaning exact location, when all the compass is need for is a general location the azimuth. Once I was close to the azimuth I begin to adjust my dish until the meter beeped. Once it did, I went into the house, fired up MT, scan the satellite, and bam. Now most of the channels are scramble, but that doesn't concern me, I just wanted to be able to tune in to the satellite

Congrats . :)

Wyr

Don't trust a compass... the metal in the dish itself can throw off it's magnetic readings... come to think of it that may be the reason they don't build compasses directly in to the dish..?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)