New to FTA -- some questions to be answered

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Burlington, Ontario
Hello SatelliteGuys! I'm new here to discuss FTA satellite television. I'm a high school student, and I researched and learned about FTA through my uncle (who had FTA) and on the Internet (especially here at SatelliteGuys). I don't have a job now, but my uncle said to me that he'll install FTA with a small Ku-band dish and a motor this year. If I get my job hopefully by this year, then I would invest for FTA, especially the C-band dish. My primary reason to have FTA is to watch the occasional live feeds; they're better than the channels because they're ad-free, they have no commentary, etc. Watching multicultural channels is my secondary reason; I would just watch them even though I don't understand what the people are talking. I have some questions concerning about FTA: 1. Which one should I start? Ku-band or C-band? 2. Will I need to have two dishes: one for Ku-band and one for C-band? What about one dish for Atlantic sats and another for North American sats? 3. I'm considering getting a motorized offset 1.2 meter dish for C-band, since they're easier to install than the prime focus dishes with 1.8 meter and above. With a quality 1.2 meter dish like the one from GEOSATpro, a quality C-band LNBF like the one from DMS International and a quality satellite receiver like microHD, would I get more channels and feeds on each satellite? I knew that most Atlantic and North American satellites have an EIRP beam of 38 dBW and above here in Burlington. 4. If I have a big, fixed C-band dish and I switch from one satellite to another by moving it manually, is this possible when the satellite receiver is on? 5. Is possible to have FTA in two rooms, especially my room and the living room? 6. What are the differences between LNB, LNBF and "Turbo" LNB? That's it for my questions now. I knew that SatelliteGuys is giving away the microHD receiver for free through its radio show, Satellite Nation. I would call them, of course! :)

Welcome to the forum and the fta hobby . Alot of helpful members with the knowledge to help . I can't answer all your questions , many here can . But if you're not playing with fta yet , I would suggest (until you get that job & invest in the better set up you want) , just buy a cheap used $30 reciever & a ku lnb , pick up a DN superdish for "free or cheap) . Put them together & start having some fun . Playing with them will teach you the basics & answer many of your questions & you'll pick up enough multicultural off of 97w sat. , to get you looking for more .

A few answers

I have some questions concerning about FTA:

1. Which one should I start? Ku-band or C-band?
Ku is probably easier. Smaller antenna to deal with.
You'll learn all the fundamentals, so C band won't be too big a challenge later.

2. Will I need to have two dishes: one for Ku-band and one for C-band?
What about one dish for Atlantic sats and another for North American sats?
A 90cm (36") to 1.2m (4') dish to start on Ku will often perform as well as many 8-10' BUDs.
It would simplify things to add an 8-10' BUD for C band only, at a later time.
Some more advanced members might describe both bands on their BUDs, that'd be paddling upstream for a beginner.

3. I'm considering getting a motorized offset 1.2 meter dish for C-band, since they're easier to install than the prime focus dishes with 1.8 meter and above. With a quality 1.2 meter dish like the one from GEOSATpro, a quality C-band LNBF like the one from DMS International and a quality satellite receiver like microHD, would I get more channels and feeds on each satellite? I knew that most Atlantic and North American satellites have an EIRP beam of 38 dBW and above here in Burlington.
Regardless of power output, your dish needs to be able to reject the signal from 2 degrees to either side if the desired satellite.
That's why 12-16 foots are used commercially on C band.
We can often skate by on 8-10' BUDs.
Dont waste your time & money on 4' nor 6' dishes on C band.
For Ku, the SatAV 1.2m dish would be excellent!

Atlantic satellites on Ku just need a Universal LNBF to receive 'em.
So your one dish is fine.
Atlantic sats on C band might need a circular LNBF.
There ways of mounting two LNBFs, and other solutions.
Way beyond the scope of an introductory post.

4. If I have a big, fixed C-band dish and I switch from one satellite to another by moving it manually, is this possible when the satellite receiver is on?
Yes...
Though, we'd normally just have the receiver command the motor controller (Vbox or Gbox) to move the dish.

5. Is possible to have FTA in two rooms, especially my room and the living room?
Sure. Two output LNBFs and proper wiring will get it done.
See the Switches Simplified thread in our FAQ department.
However, I wouldn't complicate my life with that 'till I'd mastered the basics.

6. What are the differences between LNB, LNBF and "Turbo" LNB?
lnb = low noise block converter
converts a block/range of microwave frequencies (10-12ghz for Ku, around 4ghz for C band) to a lower range (1-2ghz) to be handled by the receiver
lnbf = low noise block converter with feedhorn (see SatAV site for an assortment of Ku LNBFs)
turbo = meaningless marketing hype & B/S, as are claims of 0.1 db N/F

Last edited:
For C band, a 1.2m dish will get a little of what's 'up there' but will miss the majority. Especially the 'new' DVB S-2 signals. A 10 ft prime focus is the 'norm' with most running dishes from 6 to 12 ft. Some even larger. 7.5ft quite common also.
The 'cheap' ~$30 receivers on 'bay may or may not be 'friendly' (some may not have blindscan) ask for comments on what you find.
1.2m on Ku is top notch. .8 to 1 meter being the most commonly used and are also OTARD compliant.
LNB - Low Noise Block converter. Requires it bolted to a feedhorn. Only a few FTA STB's can operate the polarity servo on the feedhorn. There's a type that uses multiple LNB's- requires an external switch to select polarity by the FTA STB.
LNBF - same as above with an integral Feedhorn. All FTA STB's can 100% run them.
"turbo LNB" seller hype.
For FTA, LNBF polarity type required is linear, NOT circular. JSYK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)