Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
This is my first FTA install and the system that I picked out is listed below:

Sonicview 360 Elite
36” Fortec dish
Invacom Quad Polar LNB
SG-2100 Dish Motor

I was going to connect the L and C LNB outputs to the 4x1 DiSEqC that came with the receiver and mount it to the back of the dish. Will this switch work in bad weather (rain, snow, ice) or should I purchase a waterproof one? Is there a small waterproof box that can be mounted to the dish?

Also this is a brand new receiver are there any firmware updates that I need to install or will it have the most current ones? I am NOT asking about illegal updates. I want to stay 100% legal.

Thanks,

Reccitron

I have a 4x1 that has survived 3 MN winters. But if you can cover the box more power to ya :)

most recievers the factory software works fine. But check the manufacturers website to see if there is an upgrade

I have the same LNB and had port 1 shorted and blew my cheap switch. Good thing the LNB was covered. I replaced the switch with a weather proof model(see my system desc.)

Of the cheap ones, there seem to be two types of DiSEqC switches out there.

- those that die instantly or within a few months
- those that last for a ridiculously long time.

Physically they look the same, except the good ones are covered with rust. :) Until you have one that has a really thick protective cover of rust on it, I recommend keeping a few spares around just in case.

Thanks for all the information. I guess I'll keep the one I have and get a waterproof one if it quits working. I'll probably mount the dish tonight or tomorrow morning,

Thanks

Reccitron

What satellites are you planning on viewing? With the motor setup, perhaps you need not worry so much about the switch.

I have no idea. I got the dish to check out what was available. 1 show that I would like to find is Barbecue University. It comes on pbs but not on the one I get under my subscription satellite service

Do you have a suggestion on 1 I should start with?

Last edited:
diaelectric grease + half a roll of tightly wound electric tape can make most switches become fairly weather proof.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)