New to FTA-What to buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dstrouth

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Hey everyone. I keep seeing people post stuff about FTA and how much fun they are having looking at all of these channels that are out there.

Have a couple of questions... I found a list of channels I believe iceberg had posted that are available, where else could I find a list that is updated? Would lyngsat be able to show me which channels are unencrypted?

Also, I was looking at the website of one of the gold sponsors and this is what they are selling for a motorized version fo the viewsat 2000.... curious as to what the differences are...

Universal Package 1: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, Winegard 76cm (31") Dish, SG2100 Rotor, Single LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

Universal Package 2: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, Winegard 76cm (31") Dish, SG2100 Rotor, Dual LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

Universal Package 3: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, Winegard 76cm (31") Dish, SG2100 Rotor, Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

Universal Package 4: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, 90cm (35") Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor, Single LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

Universal Package 5: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, 90cm (35") Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor, Dual LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

Universal Package 6: Viewsat VS2000 Extreme, 90cm (35") Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor, Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF, CD-ROM, 4x1 Diseqc Switch, and Upgrade Cable.

What is the benefit between package 1 and 2. 2 has a dual, does that mean I can connect 2 viewsats if I wanted?

Also, what is the benefit to the Invacom Quad compared to the single or dual... just more outputs?

What is the difference between the two motors?

What does the 4x1 switch do? allow for 4 inputs? If the lnb is only looking at one sat, why would 4 inputs be needed?

Also, does the dish automatically control the movement of the rotor? So if I select a different channel, the dish will move to the appropriate bird?

Sorry for the noob questions, just now looking into fta....

I'm also open to suggestions on other things to buy. I'm not set on this receiver, or dishes or anything... just seen the review on the viewsat today and it sounded good.

Good idea to buy from one of our Gold Sponsors! :)

The Invacom Quad LNBF has four outputs two Linear and two Circular!

Just really different brands of motor, I like and use the SG2100 motor, yes when you change channel the dish will move to the correct satellite, after installation and set up!

4 way switch can be used for four dish, or with the QPH-031 two receivers each getting both C and L polarities!

Last edited:
PSB said:
Good idea to buy from one of our Gold Sponsors! :)
The Invacom Quad LNBF has four outputs two Linear and two Circular!
Just really different brands of motor, I like and use the SG2100 motor, yes when you change channel the dish will move to the correct satellite, after installation and set up!

So... does that mean 4 wires would run into the 4x1 switch?

Would this also mean that the two linear (I assume 1 for V and 1 for H) would work at the same time as circular?

What is the difference between linear and circular?

4 cables from the LNBF can be run to the 4 way switch two C and two L. All ports are voltage controled so on the linear side you get H and V, and on the circular side you get L and R this is controlled by the receiver sending 13 or 17v to the LNBF.

DBS satellites use Circular polarization (Left or Right) , the L.O. setting should be set to 11250
KU (FSS) satellites use Linear (Horizontal or Vertical) the L.O. should be set to 10750 for a standard or 9750-10600 for a Universal LNBF

PSB said:
4 cables from the LNBF can be run to the 4 way switch two C and two L. All ports are voltage controled so on the linear side you get H and V, and on the circular side you get L and R this is controlled by the receiver sending 13 or 17v to the LNBF.

You mentioned that with the QPH-301 I could connect 2 receivers... if I run all 4 connections to the 4x1 switch, how would this work, as there is only 1 output?

What is circular vs linear?

dstrouth said:
You mentioned that with the QPH-301 I could connect 2 receivers... if I run all 4 connections to the 4x1 switch, how would this work, as there is only 1 output?
What is circular vs linear?

Yep, two 2 way switch would be needed for two receivers.

Circular polarization means that the signal comes down from the satellite in a spiral Left or right hand. This is mainly used by DBS satellites.

Linear polarised signals come down from the satellite Horizontally or Vertically.

Good diagram halfway down this page.......

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor712539

Correct the QPH-031 will work for the few FTA DBS channels (Gol TV and NASA and some Radio) and all FTA KU signals, NOT C-Band.

Last edited:
Thanks so much!!! I've learned quite a bit tonight...

I guess I just need to do more research, and learn more before making the big purchase. Want to do more research on the different sponsors as well. If they are gold sponsors, I'm sure they are all great to work with... just curious as to other peoples dealings with any of them.

One last word on the QPH-031 the linear side is Standard (10750)

Only Gold sponsor I have delt with so far has been Sadoun, FIRST CLASS service.

I have also purchased from Sadoun. Talk about helpful! Not only do that have fast, reliable delivery, but they are also members of this forum It's nice to see them take an interest in the FTA community at large. It's great when they add their $.02 to a thread. It's usually far more than that!

Cheers!

I own and like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra for the "Blind Scan" feature, but after reading Ice's review of the Coolsat 5000 in the "Equipment Review" section, I am looking to bring one of those home to play with. Read through the reviews and threads and find out what other people like!

Cheers!

I would also pick up a in line signal meter. The SF-95 can be as low as $10 with S&H. It helped me out a lot and I use it all the time.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you made out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)