[Viewsat] New to FTA with a viewsat VS2000 ultra

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Nighthawk424

Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Montana
Hi I am just getting started in FTA I have a viewsat 2000 ultra receiver. Today i managed to get a signal from nimiq 1,2 and 3. Did a blind scan and got a bunch of channels which i believe are encrpted. Just shows the $ sign beside them. So i would like to try next to get a signal from galaxy 19 for instance as I have heard it has FTA channels on it. Only issue is that galaxy 19 is not on the list when i go into settings. Is there a way to add it? Or to update this receiver somehow? I know it is an older receiver but I was under the impression it would still work for FTA.

The viewsat will be able to pick up most channels on galaxy 19. You won't be able to receive any dvb s2 channels. It might be listed as galaxy 25 or intelsat americas 5 or 97 west. You can also add manually and/or rename a satellite in the list. Are you using a satmeter to find a signal ? That helps alot, but the viewsat has the sound beeper which can also help when searching for a signal.

The viewsat will be able to pick up most channels on galaxy 19. You won't be able to receive any dvb s2 channels. It might be listed as galaxy 25 or intelsat americas 5 or 97 west. You can also add manually and/or rename a satellite in the list. Are you using a satmeter to find a signal ? That helps alot, but the viewsat has the sound beeper which can also help when searching for a signal.

Well i do have a birdog meter however have not really had much luck with it. I have found intelsat 5 97w now on the menu so u are saying this is galaxy 19? I have no idea what i am doing had this stuff given to me.

Exactly! What size of dish are you using?
And what type of lnb?

If you can post pictures that would be great!

Try 11960v 22000

That's the strongest tp on my end.

I get around 75-80% quality on a 36" dish.

Exactly! What size of dish are you using?
And what type of lnb?

If you can post pictures that would be great!

Try 11960v 22000

That's the strongest tp on my end.

I get around 75-80% quality on a 36" dish.

You say that is the strongest tp. What does tp mean? I have a few dishes the one i got nimiq on was 18" i believe. But now trying to get galaxy 19 with a 36" dish. It already has a lnb on it which i have no idea what it is. I have a box full of lnb. A couple are invacom qph 031. I am going to maybe try putting 1 of those on tommorow. Still unsure how to hook those up though. Looks like i have to hook up C and L.

The invacom is for circular and linear signals. Circular is for dbs (bell, dish and directv) linear is for fta.

I had an invacom until i broke it trying to remove ice .

You need to check the specs of the lnb on the sticker .

I’m using this universal lnb right now and i get about 5% more quality then the invacom.

A standard lnb has a L.O. Of 10750

Dbs uses 11250.

TP means TransPonder. (The frequency on which the channels are being transmitted).

If you have a box full of lnb’s try to look for one that has the lowest noise figure. On the picture , it states 0.3db

The lower the figure, the best results you should have!

Attachments

• EE4A87E6-D038-4BF7-B081-335A5AED70F6.png
    EE4A87E6-D038-4BF7-B081-335A5AED70F6.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 445
The invacom is for circular and linear signals. Circular is for dbs (bell, dish and directv) linear is for fta.

I had an invacom until i broke it trying to remove ice .

You need to check the specs of the lnb on the sticker .

I’m using this universal lnb right now and i get about 5% more quality then the invacom.

A standard lnb has a L.O. Of 10750

Dbs uses 11250.

TP means TransPonder. (The frequency on which the channels are being transmitted).

If you have a box full of lnb’s try to look for one that has the lowest noise figure. On the picture , it states 0.3db

The lower the figure, the best results you should have!

Ok thanks so what do i want for galaxy 19? A standard, universal or dbs? The invacom i have says quad polar legacy 4 o/p. 10.75/11.25 ghz so i think this means it is standard. I also have a ariza that says l.o is 11.25ghz so i think it means it is dbs.

G19 is a linear polarity satellite. You could use either a standard or universal LNBF.

DBS LNBFs are circular polarity and usually have a LO 11250. They are only used to receive Dish, DirecTV or Bell. Not used for FTA linear polarity satellites, which typically use lower frequencies.

Use the larger dish with "L" (linear LO 10750) output of the Invacom. Reference www.dishpointer.com for the Skew (rotation) angle for G19 (97w) for your address. This site will also provide the elevation and compass heading.

In the receiver's install menu for Telstar5/Galaxy 25, set the LO setting to 10750. An active TP (transponder) must be selected from the list for the Signal Quality meter to display a reading.

Reactions: KE4EST
Thanks both u guys for all the help. Using those serttings and ideas i managed to get galaxy 19 today. Although not a very high Q. But its working and i can view the channels. I could not end up using one of the invacom lnb because i could not get them to mount on the dish. I need a different collar or something. So is this the only sat i will get with my receiver or are there others i should try? Also how do i know how far in the lnb should be in. Like how close to the dish it should be? I know the skew is turning it left or right but not sure how close to dish it should be. Here is a pic of the dish but i have 3 others i could try too.
20190327_175324.jpg

I also have the same model! But the old star choice dish is the model that brings in the least signal.

You may have to build a homemade bracket or buy one from ebay in order to mount the invacom lnb.

You can try anything that is dvb-s non-hd mpeg 2 with your receiver. 97w has the most fta channels on 1 sat.

you can try abc newsone on 91w

Cgtn on 95w

A few c band channels if you have the proper size dish.

I have another receiver the nano premium. So i hooked it up and scanned galaxy 19. It seems i am getting a much higher Q reading. So is this a better receiver than the ultra view? Also if i buy a new receiver will i get more options? I think neither of my receivers do dvb-s2. Maybe thats what i need to get next?

Yes a dvb-s2 will bring you up to date !
You can find different models for all kinds of prices.

Some receivers have tuners that are more sensitive then others.

I have a linkbox 9000i, when i hook up my sathero, it says 70% Q, the linkbox will display 98% Q. I don't find it very accurate or realistic.

the Quality reading is different is different on every receiver. Even with the same model there might be slight differences. My understanding is that it's not due to actual sensitivity of the tuner (or we would all be using Linkbox since they seem to always display a 98% quality!).

The best use of the quality reading is to fine-tune the dish for the best quality.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts