New to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
did you just happen to have a spare 300lb or 600lb weld neck flange laying around?
No, ;), I went shopping for them. And still have one spare left for a next stand. :) It is 5 35?64 in
IMG_20160819_105625 (Custom).jpg

Thanks good idea
What kind or Normal use is this Neck Flange ?..Looks like car or Motorcycle wheels?
where you bought it for $ 15 dls?
http://www.wermac.org/flanges/flanges_welding-neck_socket-weld_lap-joint_screwed_blind.html

The weld flanges are used to assemble piping that will need to be disassembled periodically for maintenance or inspections, or otherwise required to meet some codes.

Those used in the above photos are a slip on type and not a weld neck. Any type would work well!

Reactions: Vallenato
Every item has arrived except the meter from China! I'm very excited and I even found a local that still installs FTA. Of course, the guy was on vacation for two weeks but I can wait. I hope he is kind enough to have his brain picked to death and willing to accept help so that I can learn from his experience. http://www.americansatellite.net/ if anyone near Albany NY wants to know. I'm having him install the pole and ground as well as give me a site survey to determine best location as for some reason it always varies depending on the source I use.

If I may ask another question, I asked about polarity earlier and I realized H/V was only Linear and that Circular R/H was also a concern if I wanted to pull in everything I could on KU and I had a fascinating lesson on dialectic plates. So, I bought a Invacom QPH-031 to get everything that was offered on KU. As you may guess, I ran into another problem...

You may run into still another unseen problem using the Invacom LNBF you bought. I bought one a good couple of years ago thinking I could also get FTA Circular Signals. But after awhile of not getting any Circular Signals at all to come in, the sales guy finally admitted to me that the Circular part of that LNBF is only designed for Dish Network and Directv signals; which of course are scambled. The Invacom LNBF was designed for those who wanted to get their feet wet in FTA while still watching Dish Network at the same time all on one motorized dish. If that's what your going for, your on the right track with a paid Dish Network subscription.
Otherwise, it's a great LNBF for H/V Ku signals, just doesn't do FTA Circular Signals.
Very nice choice on the receiver by the way! I have two, one for Ku, the other for C-Band. The 9000i Linkbox puts out a beautiful picture, and scans in satellite channels at a thorough pace.

You may run into still another unseen problem using the Invacom LNBF you bought. I bought one a good couple of years ago thinking I could also get FTA Circular Signals. But after awhile of not getting any Circular Signals at all to come in, the sales guy finally admitted to me that the Circular part of that LNBF is only designed for Dish Network and Directv signals; which of course are scambled. The Invacom LNBF was designed for those who wanted to get their feet wet in FTA while still watching Dish Network at the same time all on one motorized dish. If that's what your going for, your on the right track with a paid Dish Network subscription.
Otherwise, it's a great LNBF for H/V Ku signals, just doesn't do FTA Circular Signals.
Very nice choice on the receiver by the way! I have two, one for Ku, the other for C-Band. The 9000i Linkbox puts out a beautiful picture, and scans in satellite channels at a thorough pace.

I hate Time Warner Cable so no big loss there. After what you have told me I did a bit of digging on the Hopper 3 but my only concern is that (correct me if I'm wrong) is that I would have to have the 9000i switch between the satellites if I wanted a channel that I pay for and could not get due to position of the dish?

If you go with a Hopper 3, you really need to just have the technician install it's on dish and let that be used for your DISH subscription. Things have changed quite a bit, since that Invacom LNBF came out. DISH Network uses a different LNBF technology these days.

Any chance I could convince him to use my 1.2m dish? I'm having flashbacks to glitchy SD (forget HD) for the 2 days I had Directv and I would be surprised if any KU signal on a dish that small would be reliable during a NY winter. But, of course you guys would know far better than I. I've been stuck with cable for many years due to being in the service and I'm also sure that the man-child that installed my directv dish 7 years ago did so incorrectly and since I can't find a C-band dish that is generally liked by the community, I'm sticking with KU. Even if I got a C-Band LNBF for this dish, I get the feeling that the community thinks that it's almost impossible to work as the dish is too small.

I've also looked (probably should have done before) at the FTA KU channels and the selection is a bit smaller for English than I had hoped. It's certainly not a substitute for anything paid so I'm almost now thinking I should just scrap the Invacom since it seems to be impractical for my uses especially since my research has not found a single circular FTA signal. On the flip side, couldn't I just buy all of the stuff myself (http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=201499) and hope for the best or am I just being stupid?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts