Status
Please reply by conversation.

kubandfta

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
USA
Hello all,

My name is J, and I am located in the USA. I have just begun getting into KU-Band FTA satellite viewing, and I find it fascinating. I began on Galaxy 19 at 97w and stayed there for a while, but all that was on there was terrorist nonsense. I've since moved to SES-3 at 103 degrees and I'm getting the NBC feeds. Very cool stuff- especially with Hurricane Matthew! my STAB HH-90 motor comes today, so I'll be able to scan the entire sky.

My system includes-

Geosat Pro 3 foot dish and single LNB that came in the box.
X2 M1 satellite receiver.

*Arriving today* STAB HH-90 Motor.

I also created a youtube channel to upload some of the wild feeds I capture!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdG5f9cqsyZwqCz0Su_Qw7A

I can't wait to get USALS up and running. This stuff is so easy! 20 years ago my friend had a C-band system and it was a complete nightmare to setup. USALS and Blind scan have changed the world! And I can't believe how much power is in this little M1 box! built in DVR?!?! for $40?! Insane. I need to find a 2tb usb hard drive to record to though. My 16gb usb stick doesn't hold much!

Also, could anyone recommend a good (FREE) video editor for .TS files? That's the format my satellite box records to.

Thanks in advance!!!!

J

:welcome to the forum J . This is a great place to get the most from your FTA hobby. While I don't know much about the video editing, I'm sure a couple people here could recommend something. I make TS files but then just play them.

Reactions: spongella
Welcome to SatelliteGuys J!!!
I wouldn't write off C-Band though.
I would be on the look out for a good used C-Band dish to rescue and put up one day.
They can be a nightmare if one doesn't know what they are doing.
However, with the experience you have already gotten and some guidance, it can be much easier than you think.
There is a lot of good content on C-Band that you cannot get on Ku. ;)

Welcome to the FTA world kubandFTA. Good choice on the Stab 90 H-H motor. USALS does make things easier. Have fun setting up your station.

Sponge

Well I got the HH-90 this afternoon. Took a half day off from work to set it up. It's close to midnight here and no luck!! So a couple of things. I was using 250 feet of RG-6 quad shield, which worked fine without a motor- plenty of signal. Then when I hooked up the motor my receiver would reset while turning. I did some research, and it's recommended to not use more than 100 feet of RG-6 with a motor. Well damn! Went to lowes- bought 100 ft of rg-6 and another pipe- moved the dish to the back yard- did some calculations and even with the trees back there I should be shooting over them. After 6 hours no such luck!!! I get nothing- not even AMC-6 at 72 degrees. I do get a higher signal in some cases- almost 80 on my X2 M1 receiver, but it never gives me a quality reading. I did get a grey 20 quality when aiming to galaxy 19 but thats it. And galaxy 19 is low in the sky, so probably not good with trees. I'll admit I have no idea how to setup usals. I've had a hell of a time. the whole magnetic south thing is crazy. How can you measure that with the indicators on the dish itself?! nonsense. I think It would be much more accurate setting the motor to where you satellite is, and then checking the signal on that satellite while moving the dish, no? It doesn't really matter, because in the position it is in right now it's just not getting a signal on anything. The other question I have, is now that it's on the motor the dish is tilted. Without the mount it was looking straight on. Is this why I don't have a signal? I don't know why the dish is rotated like it is with the motor- Am I doing something wrong?!

J

I have never been able to use magnetic compass to determine north-south. Where I live there is iron ore randomly in the ground, so the needle swings here and there as you take a step or two... I determine North by the north star, or use the suns shadow at noon [standard time], and that has worked well for me to get a start on my true south. Good Luck!

I set my first system up with a motor out of the gate. And I went for my satellite closest to true south first. I figured out that the elevation makings on the dish were way off resulting in me having to point the dish much higher then the paperwork said. Once i did get some signal i peaked it and i get everything i want (save a couple of channels i suspect need a larger dish) and i get basically everything on the arc worth watching on Ku. Id sure recommend shooting for that southern satellite first. as far as c-band goes ill be figuring out how much of a bear it is real soon as i just mounted my dish on the pole today and am trying to monkey around with a really old dish positioner. My meter died while attempting to lock in 99w but i think im getting close and i didnt wanna drag a receiver and tv out at 11pm to keep fooling around with it.

Welcome aboard, takes patience to get that first motor setup but if you can drive a car-you can do it. Tip: Don't worry with 72w ku as there usually isn't anything on it lately. You might get lucky and hit a news feed during the day but I spent a couple of days trying to locate it with a non-motor dish earlier this month. Pick a satellite closest to your longitude and go for that one first. If you'll relate where you are, there might be a member close to you willing to help. Post back on your progress!

If the elevation scale reference is incorrect on the GSP90cm dish, the mount was incorrectly assembled.

If the mount was assembled with the through-bolt passing through hole B, the "B" scale (50-90 degrees) is used. If Hole A is used, scale A (10-50 degrees) is used.

I'm sorry, i know how you feel.. I remember spending many days setting up the USALs for the first time. I must admit, i am drawn to your first post when you said..

"I can't wait to get USALS up and running. This stuff is so easy! 20 years ago my friend had a C-band system and it was a complete nightmare to setup"

I spent more time setting up my first USALS then i did setting up my Cband. Once you get the understanding, and the experience, you will not be afraid of getting your feet wet.

You have a great support network here. You will be watching TV on it soon!

Make sure as you search for signal/quality readings, that you're using a active transponder in your receiver for whatever sat you're aiming for. Sathint.com is a good place to look them up at.

Many times the scales on the side of the dishes and motors aren't 100% accurate.

On a motorized dish, set your LNB skew to zero, don't skew it like you would with a fixed dish. What is true south for your area?

If the elevation scale reference is incorrect on the GSP90cm dish, the mount was incorrectly assembled.

If the mount was assembled with the through-bolt passing through hole B, the "B" scale (50-90 degrees) is used. If Hole A is used, scale A (10-50 degrees) is used.

in my situation im not sure if it was the scale on the dish or the paperwork for the motor wrong about what to set the declination on the dish to (was not a STAB motor), but mine needed moved a lot, nearly 15 degrees. The latitude setting was good though. Im sure its just a matter of playing around with it, but id sure still try to lock the satellite closest to true south, especially being new. If someone had done this a lot im sure reaching a satellite anywhere on the arc would be easier then someone new.

OK, well my original thought was correct. I was not receiving a satellite signal from the back yard. I brought the receiver and TV out to the front yard this morning to do some tests. I was able to lock onto a satellite. It had Reuters news and a bunch of Japanese stations on it. So at least I know I am getting a signal now. Then I took everything inside and hooked up my 250 foot RG-6 coax. The dish did turn a bit, but then my X2 M1 receiver shut off, and when it rebooted it moved the dish to the last position. Am I correct in saying that this means the cable is to long? Why would the receiver reboot, and just not move the dish? That is a little weird I think. I need to do a lot more testing. I will probably end up moving the dish to the side of the yard where my via-sat dish is located. That way I will at least be able to eliminate the cable issue and hopefully still get a signal. what do you guys think?

in my situation im not sure if it was the scale on the dish or the paperwork for the motor wrong about what to set the declination on the dish to (was not a STAB motor), but mine needed moved a lot, nearly 15 degrees. The latitude setting was good though. Im sure its just a matter of playing around with it, but id sure still try to lock the satellite closest to true south, especially being new. If someone had done this a lot im sure reaching a satellite anywhere on the arc would be easier then someone new.

How do I find the satellite that is the nearest south of me? And also, how do I know that satellite has active transponders on it?

I use dishpointer.com input my address, then use the option for true south. then i look at the different satellites listed and see which one is closest to my true south. In my case the satellite is 97w. Then i go to lyngsat.com and see what active transponders or on the satellite and the symbol rate. Ill generally write 2 or 3 down because im just guessing weather or not its a strong or weak signal, but i did find a post that has a list of strong transponders http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/satellites-positions-strong-transponders.332738/ so now i just print this out and take it with me. Hope this helps but remember im still new, so one of these other guys can help you more then me probably. And make sure on a motorized setup you set the skew to 0 degrees as the skew is set as the motor turns the dish.

Reactions: kittyhas1000legs
Make sure as you search for signal/quality readings, that you're using a active transponder in your receiver for whatever sat you're aiming for. Sathint.com is a good place to look them up at.

Many times the scales on the side of the dishes and motors aren't 100% accurate.

On a motorized dish, set your LNB skew to zero, don't skew it like you would with a fixed dish. What is true south for your area?

I think it is 182 degrees. Does that sound right? I'm about 300 miles east of KE4EST.. :)

How do I find the satellite that is the nearest south of me? And also, how do I know that satellite has active transponders on it?
Go to lyngsat.com or sathint.com and your nearest south satellite will be the one which is closest to your longitude. Of course it must have active transponders and be transmitting for the type of reception you want (c or ku band) - lyngsat or sathint will show you that. Some people get lucky and there is one with active transponders due south but most will have to use one further away. As an example, 77W is almost exactly due south for me and there is a satellite at 77W. Unfortunately it is a DISH satellite which is circular polarity so I use other sats nearby. :)

Well if someone on here knows a strong transponder on 78w im guessing that will be close to your true south satellite based on my guess work from your information you provided. if KE4EST jumps in he might be the source for helping you with your southern satellite. in the list that has strong transponders it shows 83.0 °W (AMC 9) 11840 H 26666 or 11900 V 30000 has a strong signal in the general direction of your true south. So if it were me id zero the motor, eyeball south with a compass (or use dishpointer and any reference points in the direction it shows true south) and move the dish to whatever satellite winds up being closest to your true south, and move the elevation of the dish up and down till you get a reading then peak it from there. Then once you get that as good as you can get it move the dish to the east or west twards the end of the arc and see if you can pick up one of those satellites and if you need to peak the dish some more. I was able to make a crude jig to set my compass on and affix to my motor to get my true south. Once i had elevation set i only had to bump the whole assembly a little bit to peak the signal. im still using the setup and pick up every satellite ive aimed at on the arc. Maybe i got lucky I dont know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)