New to ota. Wanting antenna suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cdogg311

Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
midwest usa
I am going to try to order a antenna but am not sure which one. I am in a 2 story house and planned on mounting the antenna in the attic. Added tvfool report in second post

Considering how far away the vast majority are and the wide seperation around the radius my suggestion would be the biggest roof top antenna you can find mounted on a rotor with a mast-mounted amplifier. I don't think an attic antenna is going to get you much.

Attic wont work. You will probably get the top station on the tvfool with an antic antenna. The results are pretty bad and attic installs cuts the signal down by up to 1/2.

Looks like you're kinda smack dab in the middle of two markets...and neither of which show decent results

I guess the question is are you willing to take the chance and buy the equipment...only to have not satisfactory results?
The biggest antenna I've seen in the 8200. It handles VHF Low, HI and UHF. Now you dont need VHF Low but this would work (and its on sale)
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD8200XL

another option would be 2 separate antennas (one for UHF, one for VHF) combined together
VHF
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2476-/30-2476
UHF
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2415-/30-2415

I agree with Iceberg. If you can't mount the antenna outside, give up now.

Your ABC is two edges and that often means weather dependence at best.

2edge just means the signal bounces off two things to get to you.
When I was at the lake house my CBS & PBS were both 2edge (at 56 & 40 miles) yet they came in all the time

You might be thinking of tropo

For a dual antenna setup -
Use an RCA TVPRAMP1R** amp as the VHF/UHF antenna combiner and put it on a rotor above the roof ( tripod and mast )
**Available at Lowes & Menards (or similar) for under $30 (Mine works GREAT)
I 2nd Ice's recommendation for the VHF antenna but Instead of the 30-2415 Ice linked to for UHF I'd go with a 30-2425 or maybe the 30-2370 (IMHO)

For single antenna setup (HD8200XL) use the TVPRAMP1R in combined mode (also with the rotor)

ONLY USE RG-6 coax - Pre-made (connectors installed) lengths also at Lowes or menards

Reactions: Mr Tony
2edge just means the signal bounces off two things to get to you.
Where I live, the edges are big hills and it is less about bouncing and more about jumping over major obstructions. I expect that my reception will improve if the stations move to VHF as 1 edge UHF seems to be crashing and burning on the jump with its stricter LOS attitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts