New to Sat Guys... Question.. Buy or Lease?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conair

Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Rancho Mirage,Ca
Hey all. Sorry if this is a repetative subject but I need to know. I have Samsung HD receiver. I would like to get the HD DVR. I saw in BEST BUY the HD DVR for $499. I asked the guy there he said this would replace my current HD Samsung. My question is ..What is better to do? Buy a new one? or lease the thing from D* ?Maybe in case things change or I might need an upgrade soon or something.
BTW I've never had a DVR before and would like to get into it. I understand its TIVO and you pay a monthly fee. BTW 2 ...Great site here, Thanks for allowing me to pose a question. I mostly read...... Buy or Lease? Thanx to anyone, Conair

First off would suggest you record or make and keep copies of whatever way you go. Second I believe BB is only leasing them but may not tell you that up front.
If you want to pay a good price up front plus a monthly fee and later still have to give the receiver back to D* then you can go lease it. If you want to pay a higher price up front and "buy" it and still pay a monthly fee and a 2 year commitment(in either case) then you "own" it.
In my honest opinion D* used to be a fair and good deal but not anymore.They only want to lock you in the 2 year deal to try and keep you when they know there are better things coming from others. Good luck!

I don't think you have an option to buy any longer as a new customer. The only deals Directv is offering to new customers requires leasing. The price on the HR10-250 for a lease is simply assinine, $499.00 minus a $100 rebate you may not actually get just for the right to use their receiver?

Conair said:
Hey all. Sorry if this is a repetative subject but I need to know. I have Samsung HD receiver. I would like to get the HD DVR. I saw in BEST BUY the HD DVR for $499. I asked the guy there he said this would replace my current HD Samsung. My question is ..What is better to do? Buy a new one? or lease the thing from D* ?Maybe in case things change or I might need an upgrade soon or something.
BTW I've never had a DVR before and would like to get into it. I understand its TIVO and you pay a monthly fee. BTW 2 ...Great site here, Thanks for allowing me to pose a question. I mostly read...... Buy or Lease? Thanx to anyone, Conair

WHy pay all of that money to record 1280x1088??? When you can get 1920x1080i at E*??

ummm, maybe the guy wants NFL season Ticket, ummm errr maybe the guy wants equipment that actually works, ummmerrr and maybe to be fair you should tell him what the channels you are speaking of are and that they do not include ESPN, ESPN2 and any over the air which for alot of us leaves not much else. Oh, and I don't think he was asking which service he should go with, was he? OH and also tell him, that you subscribe to D* if you still in fact do.

Thanks for the info..... I did check NEWEGG and it is there for $398.00... But I read this on one of the reviews,, whatta ya think?:

Pros: * Last DirecTV HD receiver w/ TIVO * TIVO ! * Comes with all the necessary cables...

Cons: * MPEG2 * MUST use an OTA HD antenna to get local HD channels. The receive does not have the hardware to bring the HD 'local' channels over the satellite. This model never will ! *

The new HR20-250 HD receiver will be MPEG4 and will get HD 'local' channels via satellite...BUT it will not be TIVO, it will be DirecTV DVR.

I'm in L.A. but no OTA for me... I would have to wait for this(HR-20_250) to come out. Any idea when ?

if your in L.A. your local channels are still MPEG-2 over the sat, so u will be able to record them.

You might have a long wait for the new DVR.

The HR10-250 does not have the ability to recieve mpeg-4, so additional local channels D* might add, or if they decide future National HD channels to be MPEG-4 the tivo will not recieve them

Shappyss thanx for your reply, Could you help me understand this?

I currently have the Samsung HD SIR TS-360, I get HD local L.A. channels.
(cbs,nbc,abc,fox only)

Am I getting them as MPEG-2 ?? I thought Local HD was Mpeg-4?

Conair said:
Shappyss thanx for your reply, Could you help me understand this?

I currently have the Samsung HD SIR TS-360, I get HD local L.A. channels.
(cbs,nbc,abc,fox only)

Am I getting them as MPEG-2 ?? I thought Local HD was Mpeg-4?
-----------------
In the N.Y. and L.A. Markets only, D* is delivering Both MPEG2 & MPEG4 signals.
It is not known when they will stop MPEG2.(probably whenever the rest of the
nation gets L-I-L in H/D)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)