New TV Plasma, LCD, DLP or FPTV?

If you had to buy a new TV today, what type would you buy?

• Plasma

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • DLP

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • FPTV

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Where are your windows in relation to the tv?

My living room is rectangular shaped, with one of the long walls being mostly windows. The Panny faces a short wall (windows are to its right) and I dont have an issue during the day (no curtains). Some have a better anti glare screen than others. Im also used to plasma, for a newbie it may seem weird at first. If your tv faces windows, plasma may not be for you unless you have a dark curtain.

I just bought the Samsung 67" dlp with the LED lightsource. I looked at the high end panasonic plasmas, the Pioneer Kuros, all brands of LCD and none of them could hold a candle to the dlp. The 58" plasmas just didn't have as sharp of a picture to my eye and the LCD's were't big enough except for the one Sharp and it's a piece of garbage. I would have considered a projector, I have one in my family room, but this set is in a room with a lot of ambient light. The viewing angle on the dlp's does put a lot of people off, but that's usually because of the poor way they are displayed in stores. With the Sammy, horizontal viewing angle is no issue at all. Vertical is an issue if you're within 9 or 10 feet of the set and standing, but seated it's no problem. As an owner of a 46" LCD, a front projector, and a dlp, I can tell you without a doubt the dlp is my favorite set. Oh and by the way, it cost about half of what my LCD did 2 years ago.

In all fairness to those who favor other technologies, I'm using my set in a bright 32x20 room so I needed the big screen. I also wasn't concerned about hanging it on the wall. I just wanted the best possible picture.

Sorry but unless you compared them side by side, calibrated, in normal room lighting and all other things being equal, nothing compares to the Pioneer Elite. ALL of the other manufacturers continually strive to have their display look as good. Don't believe me, ask them for yourself...

I think the only TV right now to rival the Kuros is the Sammy 950, which is a very awesome LCD. The price is Kuro range too, which is more than I want to spend on a tv.

I paid $2500 for mine the month it came out, and that was a little more than I wanted to spend. After Gregg's visit, Im sold on calibration, it just pains me they sell my tv for $1000 less now :( :)

I'm pretty sure you are smoking crack before comparing pictures :D I can see an arguement talking about price, but to say that a Kuro can't hold a candle to a DLP is nonsense. You have now lost all credibility with me. Disclaimer - I own a 60" Pioneer Kuro that I paid $3700 for because I see a HUGE diffence between this and any DLP set.

I agree and will get my set calib ISF next week cant wait the picture now is great can it get better???

It can. No matter how good the set, it can always use a professional touch.

Biggest thing, with an investment like that, why not spend the $450 to to get an accurate picture for movie playback?

I agree and will get my set calib ISF next week cant wait the picture now is great can it get better???

Depends. If they are from Best Buy, I wouldn't count on it. If it is someone from AVS that post there where you can read many client post on the calibration then you will be amazed on how much better of a picture you will have.

Gregg who is a supporter here is one of the best in the country and does tours so you can sign up.

One word of advice if it is Best Buy.......cancel!!!!
And don't buy any of their Monster screen cleaner. It will ruin your Elite panel anti glare coating.

Last edited:
The elites coating must be on the outer panel then, because all screen clean does to pannys is streak them. It also doesnt help when people try and clean the screen with something damp when its hot.

I got mine for $1592 delivered and am waiting on a $200 NFL shop coupon from a rebate. Some people were able to get the 61" model for $999 around super bowl time. At this screen size, I don't think the LED DLP's can be touched for picture quality and definitely not price. The big problem most people have with these things is the crap way they are displayed in stores. My Bestbuy had the things on a shelf 8 feet off the floor. Fortunately I'd read the owner's thread on AVS forums and found out how popular these sets are. Too bad they're not going to make any new models.

Where was you able to find the 67 inch for $1592 delivered?

Where was you able to find the 67 inch for $1592 delivered?

Amazon, using the gold box trick. I forget the specifics right now, but if you search the owner's thread on avs forums you can find my post about it. You basically get another 5% off the current price. Shipping was free, although it was kind of slow.

Sorry but unless you compared them side by side, calibrated, in normal room lighting and all other things being equal, nothing compares to the Pioneer Elite. ALL of the other manufacturers continually strive to have their display look as good. Don't believe me, ask them for yourself...

I haven't compared them side by side in normal room lighting. Have you? I thought the Pioneer was a nice set, but the picture wasn't as big and to my eye in the big box anyway the picture quality was no better. Throw in the fact that the 60" Pioneer costs about $5000 more than the 67" Samsung DLP and the DLP becomes a no-brainer.

Plasma is still the best of the current technologies. People continue to have false information about them which leads LCD display to sell more. Plasma has the best contrast ratio, black levels, color gamut and although they do have glossy screens of sorts, most of the better LCD displays do as well. The only time a plasma would not be recommended is if direct sunlight is shining on the screen. Otherwise, NOTHING looks better or as good, NOTHING.

I am an independent A/V consultant and have setup thousands of TV's so I speak from experience and own plasma TV's LCD TV's, DLP TV's and a projection LCD.

I'd personally have to say the led lcd Samsungs own plasma....

Own SOME plasmas, not all.

I think its a generation or two away from owning the best Kuro completely, and by then Panny will be outta the plasma business, so we wont have to argue about it anymore :)

Plasma's have a thin front screen made of glass. LCD's screen front is made of a matte plastic.

The matte plastic screen of the LCD, by shear physics, can limit the black levels, color saturations and viewing angles compared to the glass screened plasma displays.

I do agree that the LED's have spectacular blacks, but its the LCD/DLP view angle that I did not like.

The worst seating position in my living room is almost a right angle to my tv, but guests can still watch from there, and its surprising how well it works.

...... Fortunately I'd read the owner's thread on AVS forums and found out how popular these sets are. Too bad they're not going to make any new models.

OK- how about clue me in? They're not making any more LED DLPs, or aren't making any more DLPs? Just Sammy, or everyone?

I haven't kept up w/DLPs since I bought my JVC LCoS set. And since JVC doesn't make LCoS RPTVs anymore, I figured my next big (70"?) set would be an LED DLP. Maybe not, eh?

BTW, regarding an earlier question about repair parts - figure that somewhere between 5 & 7 years after the set was made, there won't be anymore repair parts. I'll stock up on another bulb or two ($200-$250 @) to ensure my set has many years of life left. I still think bulb based RPTVs are the best bang for the buck, with very good PQ. But I also bought a 52" Sammy LCD 650 for my bedroom. Wife only wants thin now.

OK- how about clue me in? They're not making any more LED DLPs, or aren't making any more DLPs? Just Sammy, or everyone?

It's my understanding that Sammy is getting out of the DLP market. I think they're still making the current models, but I don't think they're coming out with any new ones. Mitsubishi is still selling them. They just came out with the ultra expensive laservue. I think that one's going for north of 6K.

DLP is alive and well in the front projection market. Rear projection is dying pretty fast. I do not think Panasonic will leave plasma. They have their new plant, and will be able to crank out even more plasmas for less money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts