New TV Plasma, LCD, DLP or FPTV?

If you had to buy a new TV today, what type would you buy?

• Plasma

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • DLP

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • FPTV

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
I still like my Plasma.

Whenever Im at anyones house, the lcd's are just to gray in the black area. I know some of the VERY expensive lcd's are matching plasmas, but for the price, you cant beat these panny's.

That is my opinion also.

Plasma gives ME the best picture all across the board, and Panny is the best across the board of plasmas among what is offered with them now.

I am pleased with both of mine

Perhaps someday the XBR8 technology will be affordable.

This is an issue. I don't despise LCD, I just despise the price I have to pay for them to get Plasma blacks.

When I made the gray comment, Im referring to the budget sammys and sonys that most people have, when $1400 got you a nice Panny 50" 1080p plasma last year.

Plasma is still the best of the current technologies. People continue to have false information about them which leads LCD display to sell more. Plasma has the best contrast ratio, black levels, color gamut and although they do have glossy screens of sorts, most of the better LCD displays do as well. The only time a plasma would not be recommended is if direct sunlight is shining on the screen. Otherwise, NOTHING looks better or as good, NOTHING.

I am an independent A/V consultant and have setup thousands of TV's so I speak from experience and own plasma TV's LCD TV's, DLP TV's and a projection LCD.

Completely agree with your entire post. I'm not an a/v consultant but I have assisted in setting up all the above technologies and I own a plasma and lcd and would not hesitate to purchase another plasma if the opportunity arose.

I'm very happy with my 67" Samsung LED DLP at an excellent price.
Unfortunately, Samsung is not making future DLP TVs.
You can find excellent buys on the remaining 61" and 67" Samsung LED DLPs.

I prefer front projection now. Followed by plasma, then LCD. Even said LCD is useful for sunrooms or small sized TVs. As I mentioned above LCD technology does exist (XBR8) that will get it to similar pictures as a plasma. Eventually I expect this technology to work its way down to less expensive units. Plasma's were dealt a setback when Pioneer left the market, but Panny is moving towards the level Pioneer was. It will be interesting to see how it works out in 5 years or so.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV recently and the advice I get before deciding for it was if you have a well-lighted room go for the LCD otherwise, it must be plasma and my living room happens to be the former so my decision. And after deciding it's LCD, I went on to check the LCD TV ratings of some brands particularly Samsung. The reviews really played an important role in influencing my decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)