New Update Software Version S311 Hopper with Sling Is Here

Nope, it's still there....

What type of audio dropout? Is it very short 'skips' almost the way they silently bleep out profanity on some rebroadcast movies? They are just barely long enough to remove a single word out of dialog.

Ever since 311 came out I have been seeing audio skips like that. They occur during live TV and if the the show is being recorded they are saved into the recording as well. It is very intermittent and I have not nailed down any sort of pattern yet. Sometimes it is so bad that it occurs once every 10-15 seconds consistently...

Definitely not signal issues, weather is perfect and signal strength is in the 78-82 range, and there is no glitch whatsoever in the video.

What type of audio dropout? Is it very short 'skips' almost the way they silently bleep out profanity on some rebroadcast movies? They are just barely long enough to remove a single word out of dialog.

Ever since 311 came out I have been seeing audio skips like that. They occur during live TV and if the the show is being recorded they are saved into the recording as well. It is very intermittent and I have not nailed down any sort of pattern yet. Sometimes it is so bad that it occurs once every 10-15 seconds consistently...

Definitely not signal issues, weather is perfect and signal strength is in the 78-82 range, and there is no glitch whatsoever in the video.

I have been able to nail down a possible pattern.

I had started a recording earlier in the day, no audio skips at all. Later on watched different recordings, again no issue. Then resumed the first recording, audio skips started immediately. I thought this odd since there was no trouble with it earlier, so I rewound back 15-20 minutes to see if the skips appeared in the sections I had watched earlier. Sure enough the skips were now there. I also used the skip-back button several times to see if it would always skip on the same word, it does NOT. So I was mistaken in thinking the skips were embedded in the recording, they are so regular that it can appear that way though.

I have confirmed that the problem ONLY occurs with SD recordings. It does NOT occur with HD recordings. I tried another SD recording from a different channel as a test, sure enough it started skipping. After a bit of experimentation I think I have determined that the skips will only occur if the PIP tuner is running a SD channel. I have been able to reliably reproduce the skip when PIP in on a SD channel. If you stop the recording, flip the tuners so that the active tuner is on the SD channel, and the PIP tuner is on a HD channel, then resume the recording, it will not skip.

Note that I don't actually have PIP open. I am using the red key to see tuner status.

Can anyone else try this to see if they can confirm this theory?

So good news is there may be a viable workaround to make the skips go away. Bad news is we seem to have a bug in S311. Can DIRT comment on whether Dish is aware or not?

EDIT: Tested after the nightly reboot, was able to reproduce exactly.

Last edited:
Looks like Ch 103 HD is now the Hopper How To's channel, going to check it out now!

I had noticed that as of S246/S294/S311 that Dish 101 was no longer available on my Hopper/Joey yet on my 722k with the latest L800 it was still there. Now the 722k still has 101 and it also has 103 HD. Wonder if they'll be removing 103 HD next 722k update?

Also wondering, is 103 HD the permanent location for this new channel? 103 SD is still the Free Previews channel, seems like it might confuse some people?

Channel also mentions SatelliteGuys, btw!

Last edited:
Looks like Ch 103 HD is now the Hopper How To's channel, going to check it out now!

I had noticed that as of S246/S294/S311 that Dish 101 was no longer available on my Hopper/Joey yet on my 722k with the latest L800 it was still there. Now the 722k still has 101 and it also has 103 HD. Wonder if they'll be removing 103 HD next 722k update?

Also wondering, is 103 HD the permanent location for this new channel? 103 SD is still the Free Previews channel, seems like it might confuse some people?

Mentions satellite guys, very cool I watched a few minutes of it yesterday and wondered wow they have a "audience" there, humm actors perhaps or really people who don't know much about the Hopper

WOW, nice. I am watching 103 now. Learning how to use Hopper.

I have watched bits and pieces and have not heard the SatelliteGuys mention yet. (Thanks for the mention)

But I have found it fun to see who I know in the audience. And there are a couple I know who are there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Other than see off folder reactions when jumping from one Hopper to the other in my DVR menu, my only real complaint right now is quite often I go to play a recording from the Hopper 2000 in the bedroom and get a black screen. Once I stop the recording, then resume it plays fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)