New Update Software Version S311 Hopper with Sling Is Here

Dittos...
Dan

I noticed that "My HD CHannels" was not sticking, but then realized Im still on S309. So can I know setup my own Favorite list, once I get 311, and it will stay after the nightly reboot? Just wanna make sure I understand, I never thought we were gonna get the feature back.

Been waiting and saw this morning the 311 was pushed to my HWS. Have to say I'm not impressed with any of the changes...unless there are a lot of under-the-hood fixes implemented we don't know about. But I doubt it. Seems mostly fluff (as the caller ID fix was needed but not something that would reboot your Hopper at times).

Sure a pretty network graphic is nice to look at, but with all the other issues I rather forgo putting lipstick on pig for now and worry about stability issues, setting the time for nightly updates, fixing the darn folders issues, consistent user interface, etc... And yes, I fully understand part of DISH's intent is to keep things fresh for their existing customer base and also to possibly attract new customers with these features.

Double recording reference:
Double Record.jpg

Broadband screen:
Broadband.jpg

Apps section now has a media folder for related apps:
App Folder.jpg

Expanded folder contents:
App Folder Expanded.jpg

And I know this has been around pre-311 but still cracks me up. App ads now? How can I get an ad app for my businesses onto this screen. ;-)
App Lincoln.jpg

I remember when you could order a pizza on the 721. Didn't work. Wish it did.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

OTA again able to delete individual channels

With S311 can once again delete individual OTA channels after doing a scan.

Still no add an individual channel.

Wonder if they corrected the caller ID phoneline off hook problem as well. Plugged phoneline back into the HWS and will check in the morning.

At least it's not an automatic starter. You have to physically push the button to bring it up. That said, really! In an Apps folder????

This update came through the other night. The funny thing is I was watching when the 1AM 'time to annoyingly check for updates' came up. I let it do it's thing, and it did the usual reboot as it always does. Still had S309 after the reboot. I used the system for another 2 hours then shut it off. Next day I see the notice that an update had been installed. Sure enough S311 is there. Checked the date/time in System Info, it shows it installed at 4:46AM. The Joey shows it picked up S294 at 5:13AM, same morning, long after it did it's 1AM reboot.

So the 'check for updates' thing is completely bogus, the system appears to check for updates ANY time it is in stand-by mode. Also I have seen the theory that the 1AM might have to do with PTAT and Auto-Hop. Not so, I see the 'roos' appear on PT recordings somewhere between 11:30 - 11:45 PM (Alaska time) 2 hours before the reboot occurs.

That leaves the question; WHY does this update HAVE to occur at 1:20 - 1:40 AM with no option to change it (other than kludgery like starting recordings)? 1) as I have seen, updates don't necessarily occur during this reboot. 2) it has nothing to do with PTAT/Autohop. 3) it occurs at 1AM *local* time, which means all the hoppers around the country are rebooting at different times depending on what time zone they are in. If it were something to do with aligning with some event on the satellites it would need to be set to reboot at a specific GMT time.

Any other reason? I call BS on all the excuses I have thus far seen for why we can't change this reboot time.

To conclude on something positive, the reboot does occur very quickly, only 2 min of downtime (no EHD...) much better then the 6-8 min that the 922 consistently required (though you could change the time on the 922, it required the big red button quite frequently).

Im happy with the improvements, especially the Favorites. My one complaint, and I did not notice it until I started using folders is:

I go into the folder on the Hopper in the room Im in for my wife and I to see what the oldest programs are, then using the red key I jump up to the top, scroll over, and then pick the bedroom Hopper. When it loads Im in a Folder, but not the right one, which is not huge. Whats a little more annoying is once I scroll down to see the oldest programming on our Folder on it, and then I jump back to the living room Hopper, when the DVR view comes up, Im not in Folder view any more and have to scroll over and select My Folders again.

Its like its close, but their are a few bugs. Im not sure how the Folders on the 722k work.

I certainly look forward to getting a keyboard to work with my [strike] 721[/strike] Hopper. ;)

I think the BT function could be expanded with a little software to include a combo keyboard/pointing device. Or is it constructed in such a way that there could only be a single BT device? If that's the case, maybe they could support a wireless USB keyboard/pointing device?

I recently saw a video on YouTube where someone plugged the dongle from a wireless mouse into their Hopper's front USB port and the mouse worked! They tried it after noticing there was a mouse like pointer in the UI. This seems like it could be a very nice feature.

@gadgtfreek
The tab that is gray in your screen shot is green on my Hopper. It says "Folders by Title" and has a drop down that includes, "Folders by Genre", "My Folders" and "No Folders". Don't know what happened to yours or how to get them back, except, maybe the default reset button but I wouldn't recommend that, sorry.

P.S. My Hopper updated to new software while I was watching it this morning around 2:30AM. Looked like a regular guide update but turned into something much much more.

Last edited:
It's been a couple of days and have not had the "off hook" problem with the phone plugged in and the Caller ID is working fine. Hope it continues to work without the bug.

It's been a couple of days and have not had the "off hook" problem with the phone plugged in and the Caller ID is working fine. Hope it continues to work without the bug.

I think they slipped a fix to us for that issue without telling us. I haven't had the "off hook" issue for a long time now.

Don't know if this has been reported yet. With the update if you are in Timers and you select Timer Schedule, if you press the Cancel Button, it now takes you back one screen, not all the way out to live TV.

Since the software update, my format button (* key) doesn't work on SD channels. I can still format any HD channel, but the button appears inactive now on SD channels, which is where you really need it most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)