New update with HDR causing picture issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The guide for me says HDR on 106 but no HDR at all is processing even though my C61K says the tv is HDR capable. If they are airing HDR it's not HDR 10 but could be Dolby Vision.

The guide for me says HDR on 106 but no HDR at all is processing even though my C61K says the tv is HDR capable. If they are airing HDR it's not HDR 10 but could be Dolby Vision.
We think it is using HLG

I watched part of the hockey game last night on my 3 year old Samsung which does not support HDR. It was very washed out.

Then I turned it on using my new LG that does support HDR. The picture was stunning.

I got the new guide update with HDR functionality the other day. Last night I tried watching the Wisconsin basketball game in 4K and noticed the picture was extremely washed out. When I brought up the guide, it too was extremely dim and washed out. Messing with the picture settings did little to help.

My guess is this has something to do with how my TV is receiving the HDR signal from the C61K. I know the tv is receding an hdr signal from the C61k because it came up with an “HLGHDR” notification on my screen.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue after receiving the upgrade and if you have any suggestions on how to fix it.

Current equipment: LG OLED 55 in (2016) (OLED55B6P) connected to C61K Genie mini which is connected to Genie 2.

I get HDR content through the on board LG apps (Netflix and Amazon) and haven’t had this issue. I also have an Xbox One S hooked up to my tv and have never had this trouble running HDR content on it.[/QI got the update a couple of days ago unwatchable I red button reset on the HS17 after that finished I reset each client it was been working flalessly since

Well, we can't add the 4K client and get the shows in 4k anyways, so why do we even see the channels in the guide ?

Good question. Probably so we can see the 4K content and want it so badly that we "upgrade" to a 54 or HS17 with a client...

Technically, the 4K is on the satellites we see and the programming is in the packages we receive, and the reverse band isn't in use yet, so there is nothing technical stopping us from seeing the channels, like the 3D channel.

Received the update a couple of days ago what I did worked for me I Red Button Reset the HS17 let it go through the process and after it was complete I RBR The C61K clients problem solved no futher issues good luck

I don't know what Directv's intentions are but I find this strange.

Channel 104 is sending HLG HDR as confirmed by my HDFury Vertex.

Input signal: 4K60 4:2:0 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
EOTF: HLG ITU-R BT.2100-0

This looks good.

But when I change to a SDR channel such as 101 Audience my Vertex is still reporting HDR input but an SDR EOTF:

Input signal: 720P60 444 BT.2020 10-bit HDR
EOTF: SDR Luminance Range

It doesn't make any sense to me that Directv would be including HDR metadata for SDR content. I think this might be a bug. It's not true HDR and it's not HLG either. It's SDR with zeroed out HDR metadata.

I don't know what Directv's intentions are but I find this strange.

Channel 104 is sending HLG HDR as confirmed by my HDFury Vertex.

Input signal: 4K60 4:2:0 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
EOTF: HLG ITU-R BT.2100-0

This looks good.

But when I change to a SDR channel such as 101 Audience my Vertex is still reporting HDR input but an SDR EOTF:

Input signal: 720P60 444 BT.2020 10-bit HDR
EOTF: SDR Luminance Range

It doesn't make any sense to me that Directv would be including HDR metadata for SDR content. I think this might be a bug. It's not true HDR and it's not HLG either. It's SDR with zeroed out HDR metadata.

I don’t really know the technicalities so this is just my guess. It could just as easily be a bug.

However, it appears the point of using HLG for HDR is precisely because it doesn’t use metadata at all. As the article below explains, using metadata for broadcast tv is not ideal, and HLG is a process that eliminates many of those potential issues.

So I suppose it is possible that if you were to evaluate the Genie inputs from a technical standpoint it might always read HLG now, it just doesn’t actually go into HLG mode until the extra wavelengths (or whatever non meta data it is) are present. That’s just a guess though.

All about HLG: What Hybrid log gamma means for your TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)