New Voom Commercial still doesnt understand OAR

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Mark Macdonald, of "the victory studios" and high definition magazine? is doing a new voom commercial about voom movies and directors intent where a 4:3 image is shown with the missing content filled in. This is not the way we see movies in the theater and it isnt what the director sees when he films it as Mark refers too in his dialog. Does voom realize how they get slammed for this ignorance? It is NOT widescreen OAR and it is not what the director intended.

signed - tired of defending them. You can only use ignorance as an excuse for so long before it becomes an obvious attempt at deception .

I saw part of that spot

The should have qualified it by saying closer to what the director intended.

Dumbing it down is OK, but only if it's accurately dumbed down

jwaltz666 said:
I saw part of that spot

The should have qualified it by saying closer to what the director intended.

Dumbing it down is OK, but only if it's accurately dumbed down
They did the exact same type of commerical months ago. I defended them at that time, but now? They could have said "very close to what you see at the theater", but nope.

This is one of the few reasons that I like about HDNet and HDNet-Movies is that they offer what they air in OAR,when you zoom a 2:35 movie to 16x9 you lose a bunch of sharpness and detail,but when you air it OAR it can look so much better.
Once HDNet-Movies ran a zoomed in(16x9) Towering Inferno and it looked good not great but once they found out it was not OAR they got the correct one aired and it looked so great for a crappy(I like it but I don't know why)old movie,it was so sharp I just could not look away.

Honestly, I doubt the vast majority of people know or care about what OAR is. Personally, I prefer a consistent viewing experience and being a RPTV owner I don't like borders or having to zoom in and out everytime I flip the channel. Fill my 16:9, and don't stretch the picture and I'm happy. :D

txdude said:
Honestly, I doubt the vast majority of people know or care about what OAR is. Personally, I prefer a consistent viewing experience and being a RPTV owner I don't like borders or having to zoom in and out everytime I flip the channel. Fill my 16:9, and don't stretch the picture and I'm happy. :D
Personally, and im sure ill be flamed for this, I kinda like the fullscreen sometimes if material relevant to the plot isnt hidden. Id like to see a 50-50 mix. But I still buy only OAR DVD's. But Im not gonna complain either way, I just want to see them stop looking like idiots or liars to the technically savvy!!

I don't think this is such a big thing. It depends upon the movie and what action is taking place in the film and whether you are likely to miss something or not. Zooming does improve some old films. I would say that a film like "Tora Tora Tora" should always be OAR because of the battle scene details. Probably a drama like "East of Eden" where the characters are pretty much centrally framed most of the time wouldn't matter. One of the reasons I got VOOM is because I like to see the entire movie and not just the center (as shown in the commercial). I got tired of seeing faces chopped off in a two-person conversation. The commercial was a rough but effective example and think it gets the point across to the average person.

But do you not what the best HD picture possible,OAR in HD is a much sharper picture,when a movie is shown 16x9 from 2:35 that means it is Zoomed in which is less detail in the picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)