New VOOM Promotion

That would be a savings of almost $25/mo with three receivers. We have yet to subscribe more receivers because we do not want to eat the $14.50/mo to add them. What are the chances they will let us add for the new $5/mo price? I have no problem signing a six month committment to do so.

SteveSmall--

I think Voom has gotten much better since April. Since Voom keeps adding content, we have been watching much more of the Voom exclusives than we did in previous months.

stevesmall said:
it is available to former subscribers, i already checked , i just might give them a try again. Have they gotten better since april ?

Similar threads merged.

I really like VOOM, but...

...as I've said before their programming package is incomplete (lacking HD and SD channels), they are not competitively priced, and they failed to deliver an affordable DVR, bigger dish, MPEG-4, etc.

My main problem with VOOM is it’s too expensive when compared to Cable ($128 w/tax for 14 HD channels (4 locals: ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) soon to be 16 with TNT and PBS, which included a one (1) HD DVR, one (1) HD CableCard for the 2nd HDTV, nothing required for the 3rd analog set, four (4) premium packages (HBO, SHO, Starz, MAX) and 3MB Broadband Internet - yes, broadband Internet included!

VA VA VOOM is $79.99 and 9.50 for a single receiver. Of course, there is no way in hell I am going to pay $199 for someone to butcher the installation much less pay $79.99 + 9.50 + 14.50 + 14.50 = $118.49 ($128.49 come January 1st) just to watch TV. Of course, my stand-alone broadband (which I am extremely happy with the service) would then be stand-alone priced at $54 vice roughly half that price in their packaged deal. Yeowch!!! Yeah, I know this is an Apples-to-Oranges comparison...but is certainly is a factor in which VOOM is at a serious competitive disadvantage. Plus, I would be minus a HD DVR, numerous SD channels (Lifetime, HGTV, FOOD, etc., etc.), PPV (ESPN Gameplan and NHL Center Ice), and RSNs to boot.

Based on the promotion offer, I considered dropping Cable (suffering without a HD DVR) and then canceling/reordering VOOM under the new promotion: VA VA VOOM 89.99 + 5 + 5 = $99.99. I would then pay for stand-alone broadband Internet and hope that VOOM got it’s act together during the 1st quarter 05. I tried everything possible to justify keeping VOOM.

However, I called VOOM and spoke to 2 CSRs earlier today regarding the new promotion. Basically, neither one of them knew the information and had to ask their supervisor. Ugh! Promotion pricing of 5 per 2nd and third receivers would only be in effect for 6 only months. After that, I would have to pay $89.99 for Va Va VOOM, 9.50 to rent the 1st receiver, 14.50 to rent the 2nd receiver and $14.50 to rent the 3rd receiver for an analog TV. That adds up to $128.49 just to watch TV…plus a few other changes they will inevitably slip in. Now, if you add the $54 I’ll have to pay for broadband cable internet…that’s basically $200 a month for TV/Internet…incomplete as it is with no DVR, PPV, RSNs, etc.

Hmmm $200 for VOOM and broadband vice $128 for premium cable w/16 HD channels (5 locals), plus HD DVR, HD Cablecard, PPV, all the missing SD channels I don’t watch and ESPN GamePlan and NHL Center Ice! Plus, I already have my own antennas and both HDTVs have QAM/ATSC tuners. Which one would you select? Cable of course! I’ll say is again. I would gladly subscribe to VOOM for 1 year and suck-up a $30 difference for the VOOM Exclusives...so the $89.99 Va Va VOOM had better include a free HD DVR and a $5 mirror fee for each thin-client or STBs. $99.99 is what I am willing to pay for my three room setup with all applicable equipment and fees. Until VOOM can meet or exceed this price and still be profitable, they will not successfully compete in the DBS market.

Anyway, I cancelled VOOM and my receiver and remote are scheduled to be picked up on the 27th. The infamous "Escalation Department" is supposed to contact me prior to that time to confirm/deny if they can offer me, a current customer, the current promotion for two additional receivers and with lifetime "no rental" fees for for any of my STBs. I'm not holding my breath and I probably won't hear from anyone regarding this matter. Either way. I have largely been very happy with VOOM service and will gladly subscribe to their service when I decide they are offering a reasonably priced whole home solution. Currently, the VOOM receiver is sitting sub-level in the HT room and wife says it too cold to watch TV down there. Ugh.

jgantert said:
Sorry, I was only considering one reciever, and I was assuming Scott was in the previous price plan... Obviously it is better for >1 receiver. My bad. :confused:

-John
If the mirror charge is gone too the deal is even better.

Here's a good one.......

The website says that new customers can get a second STB installed, and if they choose to purchase, it is billed at $299 and includes installation. So I thought MAYBE they would offer the same deal to someone who has been a customer since January 2004, who now might want to add an additional box.

Answer--sure you can buy a second box for $299, and you can get the deal where there is no mirroring fee, and just a $5/month additional receiver charge, BUT.....you have to pay an additional $199 installation fee. They went on to say that they strongly encourage people to get all their receivers up front, so they don't have to send the installation technicians back for the second time.

Well, in January I wasn't so sure about spending $749 for the first receiver and an additional $299 for a second receiver, and there was no lease option at the time. This $199 charge for installation of a second box is nuts. But a new customer can get it installed for $00.00. So if you are an existing customer, and you eventually buy a second HD television and want to get another STB, be prepared for this policy.

As a new member of this forum, I am beginning to believe my thoughts of getting a voom system are about to change. There just too many hoops to jump through and it would seem very little reward. I am and have been a member of a 4DTV forum for some time now and feel like it is still the best way to go. Programming is much less expensive and you don't pay rental fees or have any little "mirror" fees. I have tried Dish Network and find the equipment is not up to par, with the uhf remote not working from the next room and the loss of signal from rain or snow. I currently have Directv, which isn't much better. Have any of you checked out 4DTV as an alternative. I think the ala-carte programming is going to be what makes me go that route.

Stone--

I'm a bit confused. If there is no mirroring fee, and the equipment is purchased, whats the $5/month charge for?

The Stone Man said:
Here's a good one.......

The website says that new customers can get a second STB installed, and if they choose to purchase, it is billed at $299 and includes installation. So I thought MAYBE they would offer the same deal to someone who has been a customer since January 2004, who now might want to add an additional box.

Answer--sure you can buy a second box for $299, and you can get the deal where there is no mirroring fee, and just a $5/month additional receiver charge, BUT.....you have to pay an additional $199 installation fee. They went on to say that they strongly encourage people to get all their receivers up front, so they don't have to send the installation technicians back for the second time.

Well, in January I wasn't so sure about spending $749 for the first receiver and an additional $299 for a second receiver, and there was no lease option at the time. This $199 charge for installation of a second box is nuts. But a new customer can get it installed for $00.00. So if you are an existing customer, and you eventually buy a second HD television and want to get another STB, be prepared for this policy.

5$ is a fee that is charged for having a second STB. You have to pay 5$ per month for each additional receiver. I'm confused also, but it ain't the first time.

***UPDATE. If you purchase, there is no $5 per month charge. That is leasing ONLY. E-mail support thought I was asking about the lease. The $199 extra charge for installation still applies--unless my response to Voom e-mail support makes them change their minds.

We just added an HD capable LCD to our kitchen. If we are required to pay $299, then another $199 for install, there is no question in my mind that we would simply drop Voom and add a 921 to our Dish account.

Thanks for the updates here and in other threads Stone.

$199 to hook up a few wires and run a wizard?!?!? Wow, this is robbery in my opinion. I'll stay with Voom only because I'm invested. Vooms business practices should be reviewed if they want to be profitable.

I have heard enough of the " install horrors" and the price manipulations, so ordered the Motorola 922 from NPS. Got 1 year of HBO/Cinemax ( all 27 channels ) and the receiver for only $599. Compared the signals and picture quality at a couple of friends houses to my Directv. One has voom and another has the 922. The picture was much clearer and ( according to him ) there was no rain or snow fade on the 922, although he said if enough snow got in the dish it would cause it to tilt some and you had to sweep the snow out to let it spring back up.

Kentstater72 said:
I belive this is the same thing I just posted. $5 dollars per stb starting in December for current customers.
It sure is. I have been spending a great deal of time on client sites and don't get an opportunity to post or read the threads very often. Anyway, I returned my Cable HD DVR last week and have decided to go with VOOM's current customer promotion for the next 6 months; I will be ordering two additional receiver on the 1st.

My wife and I will miss the HD DVR, but we're hoping for some great things from VOOM in the next 6 months and the new offer (pricing) is a step in the right direction.

Scott,

I checked,, existing customers must pay 195.95 for installation.. then 5.00 a month
thereafter. I thought the 195.00 was unbelieveably HIGH and told them I am NOT interested. If you locate different information,, let me know.

thanks

Voom needs to sh*t or get off the pot, these install fees are absurd. Dish lets you install your own, what's the BFD? I've always installed my own gear, including my Voom equipment, all the installer did was run a second cable for me and call to activate it, big whoop! I could have run the cable myself but since it was free, I let him do it.

It takes a lot of technical know-how to plug in a few wires, run through setup and make a phone call, man, I am in the wrong line of work. Hey, what am I talking about, I am unemployed, I think I'll become a Voom installer and get rich!!! YEAH, that's the ticket.

don007 said:
I checked,, existing customers must pay 195.95 for installation.. then 5.00 a month thereafter.
From what I understand, installation will be $49 and the rental price of each installed receiver will be $5. Also, the rental price will be rolled-back to $5 for existing customers who rent STBs...and mirror charge will disappear. Of course, we're all waiting for VOOM to officially announce the terms and conditions of this promotion on or about 1 December.

Existing customer promo

Hi:
I spoke with a CSR today and she said the new promotion will be for existing customers who lease their equipment. If you own your box you will not be able to get additional boxes without buying them. She said the rental fee will be dropped to $5.00 per box and the mirror fee will drop to $0.