New Wireless Joey Info!!!

Can the Wireless Joey Access Point Ethernet cable be plugged into my router instead of Hopper? If not, all my Hoppers are Ethernet bottom port connected to my router. Will the Wireless Joey Access Point Ethernet cable plug into the Hopper Ethernet upper port since the bottom port is in use?

Cant you just change your currnetly hooked up Ethernet to the upper ones?

If it were my guess, it probably doesn't matter which port is used. Probably works thru the router as well. I know the regular Joey doesn't care.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Cant you just change your currnetly hooked up Ethernet to the upper ones?

I have had all four Hoppers hooked up to the upper port and even had them mixed bottom and upper port and everything worked. So the Wireless Joey Access Point can only connect to the bottom port?

Why even need the Joey Access Point. Can't my router be the access point?

I think Dish gave it its own access point so installers wouldn't be concerned with connecting it to existing customers' WiFi (I know several people who don't know their WiFi password or how to find it, and even some who have no WiFi), and this way it doesn't slow down the customer's WiFi network.

The other issue with using a customers router to run a Joey wirelessly is you clog up their home network and many older 'G' routers can't even handle an HD stream. I'm running a Joey wirelessly in my son's room with one of Dish's USB adapters and had to upgrade my wireless router to keep if from freezing all the time. It was unusable with our old Linksys router.

I think Dish gave it its own access point so installers wouldn't be concerned with connecting it to existing customers' WiFi (I know several people who don't know their WiFi password or how to find it, and even some who have no WiFi), and this way it doesn't slow down the customer's WiFi network.

I hear ya, but do you think the Wireless Joey would work with the customer's router only?

I hear ya, but do you think the Wireless Joey would work with the customer's router only?

It may. The only thing I'd be worried about is the Wireless Joey client forcing encryption (like WPA/WPA2) but not knowing what key it's using. I haven't really looked much at the specs, but I would hope that Dish would encrypt the Wireless Joey network, otherwise you'll likely get people freeloading on your WiFi.

I don't think dish will allow joeys to run off anything other than the access point. this way they can enable the joeys on the account to run off of it and nothing else.
if you really need it to run off a router just use a non-wireless with a usb adapter.

It may. The only thing I'd be worried about is the Wireless Joey client forcing encryption (like WPA/WPA2) but not knowing what key it's using. I haven't really looked much at the specs, but I would hope that Dish would encrypt the Wireless Joey network, otherwise you'll likely get people freeloading on your WiFi.

OK, thanks for the info. Well have to see when more info comes out.

I don't think dish will allow joeys to run off anything other than the access point. this way they can enable the joeys on the account to run off of it and nothing else.
if you really need it to run off a router just use a non-wireless with a usb adapter.

OK, thanks.

June 13th is the release date but I'm not sure how soon retailers will get their hands on it. I'm looking forward to it and plan on putting one in my house right away.

Last edited:

I agree with the others, not much chance of that. And I really don't see why you would want that. You have that today. Or could.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

June 16th is the release date but I'm not sure how soon retailers will get their hands on it. I'm looking forward to it and plan on putting one in my house right away.

I think I might try one out too. Do you have the Wireless Joey installation diagrams chapter that is mentioned in the PDF file in your post #1?

From what I understand, the access point creates a "closed" wireless network to be used exclusively by the wireless joey, so like others have said, it doesn't clog up the customers existing network, causing viewing problems.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The release date for wireless joey is 06/15/2014 but work order can be set starting 06/10/2014. Only 2 wireless joey per hopper. Access Point connected to the hopper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)