New Wireless Joey Info!!!

Well, finally got Wireless Joey working. I disconnected everything and started over and got her to work. Did not have to change my Hopper/Joey system network setup mode. All four Hoppers and original Joey are still connected by Cat5 to my router and all are in Ethernet mode. WAP Cat5 is connected to a Hopper. Two issues with Wireless Joey: Wireless Joey Broadband menu has Router Not Detected and Whole-Home menu does not see all Hoppers. I tried a Reset Network in the Wireless Joey but no results. Wireless Joey works great except for the two issues. See attached pics.
Wireless Joey Broadband Menu.jpg Wireless Joey Whole-Home Menu.jpg

I believe you have to turn on bridging on the Hopper the WAP is connected to for internet access or use a HIC. As a side note, my Hoppers will not allow bridging if they see a HIC.

I believe you have to turn on bridging on the Hopper the WAP is connected to for internet access or use a HIC. As a side note, my Hoppers will not allow bridging if they see a HIC.
OK, thanks. I am thinking the same thing. Maybe will get a chance tomorrow or Tuesday.

Just switched my Hopper/Joey system network setup mode from Ethernet to Bridging. Wireless Joey, all Hoppers, and regular Joey can now see all Hoppers in the DVR drop down menu. Also the Wireless Joey can now link to another Hopper. Also I noticed the DVR drop down menu for all Hoppers and Joeys now works on the first try, don't have to back out of it to go to a different Hopper selection. So it appears the Wireless Joey prefers Bridging mode, not Ethernet.

Glad bridging worked. Have you noticed any changes in performance other than the DVR drop down working?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Glad bridging worked. Have you noticed any changes in performance other than the DVR drop down working?

Yep, me too. Your idea of Bridging worked, thanks. I haven't noticed any difference in performance yet. When I look at the downloading speed in Counters Test Connection (Yellow - Blue - 3 - Test Connection) downloading speed is still about the same as when I was in Ethernet mode. All the Hoppers read a fairly steady 51 to 55 Mbps. Sure sad when I am paying for 100 Mbps service. I am working on another post that I have a question about the JWAP.

Scherrman, can you take a look at the attached pics and let me know if the JWAP looks correct? The JWAP does not show any green like the pic in the Getting Started Guide does. Pics are of my Hopper that has the only Cat5 cable attached to my router. Also the WAP Cat5 cable is connected to this same Hopper. Pics are of the Whole-Home Display Settings menu (Yellow – Blue – 4). Pic #1 is first half of menu and Pic #2 is last half. Thanks for your help.

WAP Whole-Home Pic#1.jpg WAP Whole-Home Pic#2.jpg

Scherrman, can you take a look at the attached pics and let me know if the JWAP looks correct? The JWAP does not show any green like the pic in the Getting Started Guide does. Pics are of my Hopper that has the only Cat5 cable attached to my router. Also the WAP Cat5 cable is connected to this same Hopper. Pics are of the Whole-Home Display Settings menu (Yellow – Blue – 4). Pic #1 is first half of menu and Pic #2 is last half. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 98490 View attachment 98491

I'll have to take a look at my setup when I get home in order to compare.

I recently ordered an access point and wireless Joey from EBay. I have a TV in a screened in porch where I was running an old Joey wireless with a USB adapter. It worked quite well, but I took a Joey from another tv to make it work. So I bought a wireless setup and will return the existing Joey back to being wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Now I just need to wait till I can get the self-install option.

Just purchase it now. If you are not under the protection plan there is no reason to get the Wireless Joey through the Dish'N It Up promotion. When a customer upgrades they usually have to pay a $95 technician visit fee. They will also have to pay $50 to purchase the Wireless Access Point. So all you are leasing is the Wireless Joey and you have to renew a 24 month commitment.

Now, if you just purchase the Wireless Joey, which retails for $99, you are only spending $4 and you are avoiding a 24 month commitment. You have to purchase the Wireless Access Point regardless. The lease option would be installed by Dish and the purchase option allows you to install it yourself.

If you were under the protection plan the upgrade would be $15 instead of $95 so you would save some money there but you would still have to renew a 24 month commitment and purchase the Wireless Access Point.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not going anywhere so commitment is not an issue (still got a yr left, keep upgrading). It's too simple of an install to pay Dish for something I can do. Cheapest I can find for WAP & WJ is $169 from Dish Depot, that's more than I paid for either of my 2 Hoppers w/Sling (& I've never paid a tech fee). Makes sense to wait till I can exchange my older Joey for WJ & install WAP myself, no rush.