New Wireless Router Advice

Glad you got it and are loving it. Apple makes good gear, no doubt about it. Just a little on the high side when it comes to pricing, but I suppose quality has a price too, huh? :)

Yep. It was only 30 dollars more than the Netgear I was thinking about getting. But I will pay that extra $30 for the reliability.

Yep. It was only 30 dollars more than the Netgear I was thinking about getting. But I will pay that extra $30 for the reliability.

I have spent a LOT on network stuff this summer -- with two of these things, but I am happier than I have ever been with the state of my network. Its fast, its reliable, it never crashes. and it gives me great wireless throughput. Worth every penny.

Can the Apple AP be setup via a windoze gui?
Been using a WRT-54GL for several years with almost no trouble (except for one lightning hit), but it is getting old and I should be looking for something newer. I also have a Cisco 8-port gigabyte switch for the non-critical wired connections.

-I have one Linux web server, two PCs, and two sat receivers hard wired with cat6 cable.
-Wireless part of the system is providing WAN access to two nearby families. My ISP provides up to 200MBytes bandwidth. Wireless is 2.4GHz 802.11G.
-I use two antennae, one directional grid antenna for the most distant site (2 mi), and an omni for the local users and my own location.

Need good wireless security and mac address filtering
Would like more RF output for wireless (might be able to get away with 1 antenna with more power/better radio)
Needs antenna(e) port(s), TNC(r) or N preferred.

Do you Guru types have any idea what I should be looking for? I have been looking at the EnGenious ESR-9850 but it seems cheap...

-C.

Cham said:
Can the Apple AP be setup via a windoze gui?
Apple provides a CD with a Windows program so you can set up your AirPort. It can also be downloaded from Apple's support website.

Tnx Foxbat. Apple AP seems to come quite highly recommended but those who recommend are generally apple users... I don't really care who makes it as long as it works in my network. Great discussion thread;
-C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts