New Wireless Router Advice

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Often you can got to Apple's online store and check the refurbs for AEs and practically anything else Apple sells for quite a discount and a full new gear warranty. I seldom buy Apple gear any other way. If they have them, they usually sell @$129, yep just checked, they've got them.

Look down at the bottom left of the store's webpage for 'special deals'

I'd rather just buy it new. Thanks though.

I have the WNDR4000. Its been very reliable plus GBit ethernet for wired connections. I haven't tried the AE, so I can't compare. I've had very good experiences with Netgear over the years. Not so much with Linksys (Cisco now) and D-Link.

berck said:
I have the WNDR4000. Its been very reliable plus GBit ethernet for wired connections. I haven't tried the AE, so I can't compare. I've had very good experiences with Netgear over the years. Not so much with Linksys (Cisco now) and D-Link.

Is the firmware pretty good on the WNDR4000?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

berck said:
I've just been using the stock firmware. Openwrt doesn't have support for it at the moment (I haven't really looked for it though). Is there something in particular you're interested in?

Nope. How long have you had yours?

You should look at the Ubiquiti lineup. They have different devices that are more powerful and allow you to do more things with their software. They have pretty decent price points as well.

You should look at the Ubiquiti lineup. They have different devices that are more powerful and allow you to do more things with their software. They have pretty decent price points as well.

While the software does look nice. Their models are kind of outdated and the lack of Gigabit Ethernet is a deal breaker.

Okay. 1 more question. I am thinking about getting one of these Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter Wireless 802.11b/g/n Ethernet Port / Connect Wifi to LCD-TV, Game Console and Blu-ray Player to get better performance on my Sling Adapter than the $25 Dish adapter offers. Should that work good or should I pony up a little more $ for a gaming adapter like this Newegg.com - LINKSYS WET610N Gaming and Video Adapter 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Dual Band up to 300Mbps/ Wireless your Blu-ray, Game Console?

What is the best setup?

Cable Modem- Ethernet Switch- Airport Extreme or Cable Modem- Airport Extreme- Ethernet Switch?

I've always seen them connected Cable Modem --> Airport Extreme --> Ethernet Switch

Or in the case of my house Cable Modem --> Airport Extreme -- No other wires need apply!! :)

What is the best setup?

Cable Modem- Ethernet Switch- Airport Extreme or Cable Modem- Airport Extreme- Ethernet Switch?

It has to go Cable Modem, router, switch, as otherwise you will be bypassing the router entirely. I just use one of my Airport Extreme ethernet ports and send it to the switch. Easy.

isaacmorseMI said:
I'm leaning towards the Airport Extreme. Alot of $. But really reliable.
Check out the Apple Refurbished Store (look for Refurbed Macs, then look at Accessories in the left-hand column.) There are usually AirPort Extremes listed and the Express makes an occasional appearance.
isaacmorseMI said:
My Airport Extreme just shipped from MacMall and it will be here on Friday.:whoo:
Oops, I didn't read the whole thread before I posted. I see it's too late this time.

If you're concerned about buying a second-hand unit, don't be. Apple goes through a thorough QC process on their refurbished units and backs them with a one-year warranty.

Last edited:
Foxbat said:
Check out the Apple Refurbished Store (look for Refurbed Macs, then look at Accessories in the left-hand column.) There are usually AirPort Extremes listed and the Express makes an occasional appearance.

I already ordered it. Thanks though.

Glad you got it and are loving it. Apple makes good gear, no doubt about it. Just a little on the high side when it comes to pricing, but I suppose quality has a price too, huh? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)