New York Yankees

I hate the Yankees and even I have to admit to the amazing turnaround....but again, still plenty of time for ALOT to happen. At the end of this month, you will the contenders seperate from the pretenders....also, see who has people injured....the DL will tell alot of who is for real or not.

Read between the lines.....the Mets have played terrible, yet they still lead....the Brewers has played terrible, yet they still lead a game and 1 1/2 over the the Cubs. The Red Sox have played terrible and the Yankees have played amazing....yet they still have a nice, though somewhat uncomfortable lead.....there is still plenty of baseball to be played...!

If the RedSox had the same 3-4 game lead that the Mets or Brewers had a month ago they would be in second place now.

On July 1st the Yankees were 10 1/2 out.

No, the Yankess haven't caught them yet, but you will never convince me the BoSox are feeling comfortable AT ALL right now.

I hate the Yankees and even I have to admit to the amazing turnaround....but again, still plenty of time for ALOT to happen. At the end of this month, you will the contenders seperate from the pretenders....also, see who has people injured....the DL will tell alot of who is for real or not.

Read between the lines.....the Mets have played terrible, yet they still lead....the Brewers has played terrible, yet they still lead a game and 1 1/2 over the the Cubs. The Red Sox have played terrible and the Yankees have played amazing....yet they still have a nice, though somewhat uncomfortable lead.....there is still plenty of baseball to be played...!

So have the Tigers, they cling to a 1/2 game lead as of this morning.

Actually they were out of first for a while weren't they? And you can say thank you to the Yanks for sweeping the tribe this weekend.

Yes and Thank you...
Now for the real interesting several weeks to start. The Tigers, Yanks and Indians play one another for like 2 weeks straight.

Hopefully will be fun and the Tigers can use this to break out of thier month long slump.

Jimbo

Great game today. Yanks struck out 12. Clemens the win - Rivera the Save.

I'll be there in person tomorrow. :up

How does Rivera get a save, when there was never a threat in the ninth and he had to protect a 3 run lead ?

If thats the case then, SAVES are blown way out of purportion.

Jimbo

How does Rivera get a save, when there was never a threat in the ninth and he had to protect a 3 run lead ?

If thats the case then, SAVES are blown way out of purportion.

Jimbo

Very suprised you don't know the SAVE rules - but that is the rule - and has been the rule.

From MLB: [Rivera would qualify under 3(a)]

Saves:
Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

From MLB: [Rivera would qualify under 3(a)]

Saves:
Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Ok, so it's 1,2 and 3a that does the trick.

I just feel anytime a pitcher never has the lead run come up in the inning that it should not be counted as a save ...
Cheap save in my opinion .... but there are alot of them this day and age.

Tigers were down by 3, so if two people reached base, then it would be a "Save", but thats just my opinion.

Lets not give a save just for showing up in the ninth.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

this is why the rules are in existing before the season starts. One cannot change them in the middle of the season. Let it go and move on. Otherwise, we should start deducting saves from all the other great closers of MLB.

Jimbo,

this is why the rules are in existing before the season starts. One cannot change them in the middle of the season. Let it go and move on. Otherwise, we should start deducting saves from all the other great closers of MLB.

It's not a problem, I just think they should make it something a bit more difficult.

live from the stadium

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 136

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)