Newb looking to get started

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sky, Do you think that craigslist ad would be a good starting point for me? It looks like a good deal. And do you have any recommendations on how I can determine if I have a true line-of-sight without fancy instruments? I have an iphone so I could use the iphone aiming app, but thats $10 for the basic version. Again THANKS for all your help! BTW do you have a ham radio license?
That would depend on if it is from a reputable dealer or an individual. If the equipment turned out faulty, an individual might sympathize with you but would not be able to help much beyond that. For the most part, I would stick to dealers at least at first. About a year back I ordered a receiver from a dealer and when it arrived, it was doa. I sent it back and of course they said it was just fine. 6 weeks later I still didn't have a working receiver and they still had my money. They wanted 20% restocking, were a sponsor of a website like this, so I told them I would post a thread on the fantastic [sarcastic] service I got with their company. It wouldn't get my money back, but the bad publicity would cost them more than the price of 1 receiver. All of a sudden thier attitude completely changed, I got my money back and ordered a receiver from another dealer. That company has since either gone out of business or has stopped sponsoring that site. The point is, I would order from a dealer and I would give a sponsor due consideration, price isn't everything. Most dealers are reputable, but I know the sponsors of this site will be here if you had a problem. I have seen many posts where someone had a problem and it was immediately addressed by a sponsor. Just my 2 pennies. No, I don't have a ham license, this hobby demands more than I can give now! As for line of sight issues, I use this simple device, sight down 1 of the straight surfaces, holding a mirror on the side, I can see the exact angle. It's also useful for setting your mounting post to make sure it's plumb.

Attachments

• anglefinder.JPG
    anglefinder.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
To check you line of sight, try Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com. you can place a marker where you have an obstruction, and it will calculate the height at which it will affect your LOS.
I have no experience with that model though, but am sure there are others here that do. Looking at the specs at WS Int., looks similar to my Pansat 3500. If the equipment is in good working order, It would be a good deal.
BTW: 30 inch doing pretty decent job here. (48N-97W) .9 meter, 36inch, are probably one of the most popular sizes for FTA.

So from the preliminary review of the FORTEC STAR Mercury II receiver it looks to be a good starting point for me. I have contacted the seller to see if I can get it. One thing I took note and wasn't sure if I should be concerned about is that it only decode MPEG-2, but I have read talk about MPEG-4 being used on or will be used on some stations. Is this going to be a problem for me now?

You could also use a inclinometer with a small pipe/tube to check line of sight
or tape the inclinometer to a ruler or flat piece of wood and sight down the top edge.
Take care :)

Nothing like old-tech to save your hyde in a bind. Thought you would get a kick out of this link, dan. Math Explorer: How High? Making Your Inclinometers

The more I talk about this "hobby" the more excited I get. Thanks for making it easy to decide on where I want to go.

That would depend on if it is from a reputable dealer or an individual. If the equipment turned out faulty, and individual might sympathize with you but would not be able to help beyond that. For the most part, I would stick to dealers at least at first. About a year back I ordered a receiver from a dealer and when it arrived, it was doa. I sent it back and of course they said it was just fine. 6 weeks later I still didn't have a working receiver and they had my money. They wanted 20% restocking, were a sponsor of a website like this, so I told them I would post a thread on the fantastic [sarcastic] service I got with their company. It wouldn't get my money back, but the bad publicity would cost them more than the price of 1 receiver. All of a sudden thier attitude completely changed, I got my money back and ordered a receiver from another dealer. That company has since either gone out of business or has stopped sponsoring that site. The point is, I would order from a dealer and I would give a sponsor due consideration, price isn't everything. Most dealers are reputable, but I know the sponsors of this site will be here if you had a problem. I have seen many posts where someone had a problem and it was immediately addressed by a sponsor. Just my 2 pennies. No, I don't have a ham license, this hobby demands more than I can give now! As for line of sight issues, I use this simple device, sight down 1 of the straight surfaces, holding a mirror on the side, I can see the exact angle. It's also useful for setting your mounting post to make sure it's plumb.

So what am I looking for to determine if the sat receiver will decode HD streams? This is the package I was looking at: DSB5700 System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

More new channels on Galaxy19 97W

Birdview Perf, Sacramento-Reno area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts