Newb Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robsadler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Charleston, WV
Can someone direct me in the right direction here?

OPTION #1:

Can I hook up two receivers on a motorized dish? I would like to have a receiver in my bedroom and one in my living room. I don't ever intend to be using both receivers at the same time, would that be ok?

OPTION #2

Also, can I split the coax from the dish to have it go into my living room and also my bedroom? If so what kind of splitter is required? I may just want to move the receiver up to my bedroom when I want to watch it there.

I am very opposed to have two dishes up. I already have two already from D* and Internet. I think 4 may be overkill, lol. The neighbors may think I'm channeling alien soundwaves. (Very old people live around me).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

OPTION #1:

Can I hook up two receivers on a motorized dish? I would like to have a receiver in my bedroom and one in my living room. I don't ever intend to be using both receivers at the same time, would that be ok?

OPTION #2

Also, can I split the coax from the dish to have it go into my living room and also my bedroom? If so what kind of splitter is required? I may just want to move the receiver up to my bedroom when I want to watch it there.

I am very opposed to have two dishes up. I already have two already from D* and Internet. I think 4 may be overkill, lol. The neighbors may think I'm channeling alien soundwaves. (Very old people live around me).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

OK, for option#1:
Yes you can hook up 2 receivers to a motorized dish but only 1 can control the motor so you will have to decide which one that will be. You need a dual output LNB. 1 output will go to the motor then from the motor to your receiver. The second output from the LNB will go to the second receiver (no motor control) and can only watch whatever the motor is currently aimed at.
Another option is to use a coax switch. This is a SPDT (single pole double throw) that will allow you to manually switch to the receiver you want to control the motor. For that you only need a single output LNB which goes to the LNB input of the motor. Then from the other port on the motor to the switch pole (usually the center connector). Then the other 2 connectors on the switch will go to the receivers. Then you can manually select which one you want to use but make sure the switch is rated for a least 1amp of DC current.

Option #2
There are splitters available for satellite signals but I never recommend doing that because it weakens the signal. For sure they cannot be used if using a motor with your dish.

I hope this helps.

OPTION #1:

sure you can. One box just wont be hooked to the motor and will get the same satellite stuff as the main box

OPTION #2

yes you can. Use a satellite rated splitter (up to 2150 MHZ). Only drawback is one box (the slave box) will only get the same polarity as the main if both are on

Status
Please reply by conversation.