Newbie FTA Sports Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattsarz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Willoughby, OH
Hi. I'm looking to get a FTA system mainly for the sports available there. MikeI has pointed me in this direction, and I have a post of his from DBSForums which has a bunch of satellite coordinates on it. Would all of these be available via a FTA KU system?

Saturday September 11
12:00 Central Michigan at Michigan St (ERT/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog SBS 6 Tr 2, Vertical @ 11750 MHz
12:00 Richmond at VMI (CSN Mid-Atlantic)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 14, Horizontal @ 11980 MHz
1:00 E. Michigan at Florida (Sunshine PPV/ESPN Game Plan)
Digital - G11 Ku Tr 6 11824.5 MHz/SR 6620?? Vertical
1:00 Lafayette at Georgetown (EMPIRE, WBPH, RCN)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 8, Horizontal @ 11860 MHz
1:00 Louisville at Army (WDRB/WRNN)
Digital - AMC 9 Ku Tr 7 11853 MHz/SR6510 Vertical
1:30 Northeastern at Navy (CN8)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku, Tr 11, Vertical @ 11920 MHz
3:00 Hofstra at Montana (KECI NBC-13 Missoula)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 19, Vertical @ 12080 MHz
3:00 Adams St at Montana St (Omega Sports)
Digital - G11 Ku Tr 10, 11903 MHz/SR 6510 Vertical
3:30 Michigan at Notre Dame (NBC)
Digital - AMC 1 Ku Tr 17, 12049 MHz/SR 11867 Horizontal
3:30 Marshall at Ohio St. (ABC/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog - IA5 C Tr 9
4:00 Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois (FSN Chicago, tape delay on FSN Midwest at 7pm)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku, Tr 21, Vertical @ 12120 MHz
6:00 Colgate at Massachusetts (CN8)
Analog - AMC 3 Ku Tr 18, Vertical @ 12060 MHz
6:00 Syracuse at Buffalo (ERT/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog - SBS 6 Tr 5, Horizontal @ 11823 MHz
7:00 New Hampshire at Rutgers (FSN New York tape delay at 11pm)
Analog - SBS 6 Tr 4, Vertical @ 11798 MHz

Also, do FTA systems decode 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? A few posts mentioned that 4:2:2 was a little richer in color but it sounds like only high-end receivers decode it.

Just in case you are wondering, I'm interested in the motorized, blind scan system that Sadoun is selling for $274. Thanks for any help.

Ku band FTA has an obscene number of college games. It's used to be primarily on analog, but it has been migrating some to MPEG2/FTA, and to 4:2:2 too.

Yes, you can get most of those games. However, since the games are distributed on different satellites, you need either a motor or multiple dishes. You also need an analog receiver.

sort of

most of those are analog so yuo need an analog receiver to get those.
(like the first couple)

The 3rd one you can use a digital receiver to get those. These have a symbol rate, frequency & polarity. The analog have just frequency & polarity (there is no symbol rate)

4:2:2 is a differwent scrambling type technology and only PC cards acan do those. Most of the games are 4:2:0 which a digital receiver would work.

mattsarz said:
Saturday September 11
12:00 Central Michigan at Michigan St (ERT/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog SBS 6 Tr 2, Vertical @ 11750 MHz
12:00 Richmond at VMI (CSN Mid-Atlantic)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 14, Horizontal @ 11980 MHz

1:00 E. Michigan at Florida (Sunshine PPV/ESPN Game Plan)
Digital - G11 Ku Tr 6 11824.5 MHz/SR 6620?? Vertical
1:00 Lafayette at Georgetown (EMPIRE, WBPH, RCN)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 8, Horizontal @ 11860

1:00 Louisville at Army (WDRB/WRNN)
Digital - AMC 9 Ku Tr 7 11853 MHz/SR6510 Vertical
1:30 Northeastern at Navy (CN8)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku, Tr 11, Vertical @ 11920 MHz
3:00 Hofstra at Montana (KECI NBC-13 Missoula)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku Tr 19, Vertical @ 12080 MHz

3:00 Adams St at Montana St (Omega Sports)
Digital - G11 Ku Tr 10, 11903 MHz/SR 6510 Vertical
3:30 Michigan at Notre Dame (NBC)
Digital - AMC 1 Ku Tr 17, 12049 MHz/SR 11867 Horizontal
3:30 Marshall at Ohio St. (ABC/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog - IA5 C Tr 9
4:00 Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois (FSN Chicago, tape delay on FSN Midwest at 7pm)
Analog - AMC 9 Ku, Tr 21, Vertical @ 12120 MHz
6:00 Colgate at Massachusetts (CN8)
Analog - AMC 3 Ku Tr 18, Vertical @ 12060 MHz
6:00 Syracuse at Buffalo (ERT/ESPN Game Plan)
Analog - SBS 6 Tr 5, Horizontal @ 11823 MHz
7:00 New Hampshire at Rutgers (FSN New York tape delay at 11pm)
Analog - SBS 6 Tr 4, Vertical @ 11798 MHz

bold ones are analog so you would need an old c/ku analog receiver
others are digital so you can get those with a DVB setup

I didn't see one on Sadoun's site, should I look elsewhere?
Also, does an analog receiver require a larger dish, or can a 30" dish do the trick?
Finally, are there any receivers that do both analog & digital?

mattsarz said:
I didn't see one on Sadoun's site, should I look elsewhere?
Ebay....basically any old C/Ku receiver that was used for the Big dish setups (10 ft) will work.
Also, does an analog receiver require a larger dish, or can a 30" dish do the trick?
30" will do the trick for KU band
Finally, are there any receivers that do both analog & digital?
not that I know of...at least not digital DVB and analog

I suppose my final question is this:

If I get an analog receiver (and I see a few Pansat & Uniden models on Ebay), do I need a second LNB for the dish or will the single LNB do the trick?

most digital receivers have a loop out that allows you to "slave" the analog to.

I have my Toshiba analog in the loop out of the Pansat. You only get the same polarity as the Pansat is on, but it works :)

If you use the MPEG2 receiver/loopout method, along with a DiSEQC switch, your analog receiver can receive signals from multiple dishes. Say, you want to receive an analog Vertical feed on SBS6, a satellite that one of your dishes is pointing to. First you change your MPEG2 receiver to a vertical digital channel on SBS6. It can be a phantom (no signal at all) or encrypted channel, but you simply tell to DiSEQC switch to switch to vertical polarity on the SBS6 LNBF. Then the loopout signal going to your analog receiver will be signals from SBS6.

Tune your analog receiver to the appropriate (vertical) frequency and you'll see the ball game.

rangers00 said:
If you use the MPEG2 receiver/loopout method, along with a DiSEQC switch, your analog receiver can receive signals from multiple dishes. Say, you want to receive an analog Vertical feed on SBS6, a satellite that one of your dishes is pointing to. First you change your MPEG2 receiver to a vertical digital channel on SBS6. It can be a phantom (no signal at all) or encrypted channel, but you simply tell to DiSEQC switch to switch to vertical polarity on the SBS6 LNBF. Then the loopout signal going to your analog receiver will be signals from SBS6.

Tune your analog receiver to the appropriate (vertical) frequency and you'll see the ball game.
Thats the goal, to have a motorized system. The motorized system at Sadoun is what I'm thinking. Its #8 on their site (can't link to it, sorry).

I suppose I'd need some help installing too...I'll have to call around about that.

a little problem.....

I may be making a big deal out of this, but 4:2:2 is not a scrambling technique. I think that confuses newbies out there. 4:2:2 is actually a picture encoding technique on certain channels or feeds to improve picture quality that most DVB FTA receivers cannot decode due to hardware limitations. I just wanted to mention that because you guys don't want to hear about any kind of descrambling and I just thought that your statement about 4:2:2 being a scrambling technique would be confusing to people since you guys are against any kind of descrambling whatsoever and delete a thread if you guys think that it is somehow talking of stealing programming. Notice I'm not reprimanding nor am I fussing or arguing with you Iceberg for your comment, but I just thought I'd make a mention of it just to clarify the whole 4:2:2 deal so newbies out there would not get confused over the whole deal.

gotcha

I always thought it was a scrambling technique since I can't get those on my regular receiver

Regarding the lnb-I have a dual feed, one each for my analog and dvb receivers. Looping the signal has some restrictions in regards to polarity. The dual feed takes care of that although it does require two cable runs.

Also, I forgot which mfg. it was but one did or was going to make a receiver that did both analog and dvb however the price was going to be more than two separate receivers, so I would not bother with it.

The last price I heard on a 4:2:2 receiver was around $5000 (that was a couple years ago), better to go with the card.

You can buy a 4:2:2 receiver. Just sets you back alot in the wallet :)

They droped somewhat, I seen them go on ebay for about $1500 if you keep your eye out. I paid about 2500 for mine but that was 2 years ago.

mattsarz said:
Thats the goal, to have a motorized system. The motorized system at Sadoun is what I'm thinking. Its #8 on their site (can't link to it, sorry).

I suppose I'd need some help installing too...I'll have to call around about that.

There are two types of motorized system: the big C-band dish mover that you can use your analog receiver to control (along with a box that controls the motor that I don't remember the name). That you can use an analog receiver on its own without being slaved to an MPEG2/DVB receiver.

The simplier motor system is the one that Sadoun and other Ku vendors sell. The smaller motor is controlled by the DiSEQC commands. Those motors, you have to use your MPEG2/DVB receiver to move the dish. You can either slave the analog receiver to the digital receiver, or if your LNBF has two outlets, connect one to the digital receiver and the other one to the analog.

to further clarify......

Also, just because the picture encoding technique on a channel is 4:2:2, it doesn't necessarily mean that the channel will be in HD. There has been some dispute over this in the past on this forum. There is an NBC station that someone mentioned with this picture encoding technique that is FTA but isn't in HD. From my understanding the actual resolution is slightly higher than dvd quality resolution on this channel. Also, From what I understand, it takes more processing power to decode a signal with 4:2:2 picture encoding which is probably the reason why the receivers with that decoding technology built-in is well over $1,000. Hopefully as technology improves and prices on processors, chipsets, etc, decrease then maybe it won't be too long for this technology is affordable to the average FTA hobbyist.

Status
Please reply by conversation.