Newbie here

texansgal8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
san antonio tx
Hi everyone,
Iam very new to Voom and satellite. I have been a time warner subscriber all my life so i decided to take the plunge and get Voom so i could utilize my HDTV. I was livid to find out D* Tv charged as much as $900 to purchase their HDTV DVR to only get 9 HD channels. What a rip off. I could understand if they had 40 HD channels, but 9. GET REAL D* TV. Thats called taking advantage of ppl who what to utilize their HDTV's. So anyways back to Voom, most of this satellite language will be new to me for awhile. First i had the most awesome installer who was the main Voom contractor who set up my system. I got all my locals immediately and have never had any problems so far. The HD channels put cable to shame. My only disappointment had nothing to do with Voom, but my tv because the installer said my DVI port on my TV was not working so i assume he used the cable component. I was upset because my TV is barely a year old. My question is: does the DVI port really make that much of a difference in your picture??? If it does is there anything else better then the cable component to improve the picture since i can't use the DVI?? Like i said, iam new to this satellite thing so if my questions sound stupid iam only trying to learn as much as i can and get the best possible picture i can also.

What is the TV model? Could it an HDCP compliance issue?

To answer your questions DVI/Component differences are very minimal as far as I can see. I have mine at DVI only because I need the component output for my DVD. I made comparisons in the past on both my DLP and LCD and the differences I saw were very minimal. BTW, welcome to the board.

The only difference I have seen between the DVI and component (tried both on my VOOM box) is that the component kind of flickers getting into the resoloution, while the DVI snaps in - other than that, I don't see any difference on my setup (Hitachi 57" WS).

Sean Mota said:
What is the TV model? Could it an HDCP compliance issue?

To answer your questions DVI/Component differences are very minimal as far as I can see. I have mine at DVI only because I need the component output for my DVD. I made comparisons in the past on both my DLP and LCD and the differences I saw were very minimal. BTW, welcome to the board.

My TV is a 40" Zenith 16:9 HDTV Monitor Rear Projection. But i just discovered something. When i went to the menu on my TV screen i seen it was set on component 2 not DVI. For the DVI to work the TV has to be set on the DVI component from the tv first. Anyways, i'm too afraid to move any cables around because i might not hook something up right. LOL. I guess if it doesn't make that big of a difference i'll leave it alone until Voom comes out with their new DVR which i hope will be soon because iam dieing without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)