(newbie) How does "transponder" convert to frequency

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Mostad

Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I am a newbie to FTA. Last year I bought a Panasat 2500A and connected it to my 2.7m dish. I was able to get some of the typical stuff like the Pentagon channel so I know it works.

I mainly got it to watch my alma mater's football games which are usually analog Ku but this week's game is shown on Intelsat 8 transponder 15. Lyngsat shows IA8 as digital only with just 6 Ku band channels but 38 C band. Is this signal likely digital C-band rather than MPEG2/FTA? Or does Transponder 15 translate somehow to FTA frequency and polarity?

I hope this question is not hopelessly confused. I installed my entire system but am no expert on the terminology but usually know enough to get the game on the screen except for this time. Thanks in advance.

Tim.

Welcome :wave

IA8 is KU only, there are lots of analog feeds on there :)

If your alama mater said "IA8 TP 15" and didnt give much more info, then it must be analog.

You would need an analog receiver

Not sure what transponder # 15 is. Usually they have the tp number right beside and if my memory serves me correctly, lyngsat shows these on IA8 as 3 digit numbers i.e., tp 634. I know when you download a channel list for a 4DTV receiver, they come up as tp numbers. if you know the date/time the game is on and you have a pansat 3500 which is capable of a blind scan, I would move to IA8 and do a blind scan of the KU digital side. You will probably find it. tp # doesn't correlate to anythign other than just a number. In the future if you can get a freq and sr, i.e., 24000 sr 2000, that will make it easier for your to program in manually.

I'll give credit to MikeI, who did the conversion for me

analog TP 15 is 12000 V polarity
Its analog so there is no symbol rate..need an old C/Ku receiver :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts