newbie looking for antenna advice.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tedzap

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Virginia
Ok, I live in a small city that should have some decent reception. I plan to get off of directv and go just OTA. I would like to mount the antenna where the dish is currently. Right now I have four coax cables going to the dish. Two feed a DVR in my office and two feed the house for a never-purchased DVR.

Can anyone recommend an antennae for me, and where to get it?

Thanks,
Ted

Radar-All.png

Depending on just which stations your wanting to receive you could go with either of two antennas. Both are Channel master and I also think that you also need a rotor for the best performance. Not sure but I'd guess that both just might be for sale at Walmart.

Model 3018 UHF/VHF/FM Antenna
Model 3020 UHF/VHF/FM Antenna

Another option would be to install two antenna one being a UHF 8 Bay antenna and then a Yagi antenna for the VHF channel
. You might be able to buy these at a local store or even on line.

AntennaCraft U8000 8 Bay UHF Antenna

Model Y10-7-13 VHF Yagi

Last edited:
sergei
Looks like his PBS is on VHF Low so wouldn't he need a antenna to get VHF Low?
I thought the V10 was a VHF Hi only

edit: the other 2 you mention will get VHF Low

sergei
Looks like his PBS is on VHF Low so wouldn't he need a antenna to get VHF Low?
I thought the V10 was a VHF Hi only

edit: the other 2 you mention will get VHF Low

Not knowing what his interest in TV watching is that's why I suggested the first two and I'm thinking with the bottom two he could most likely get channel 11 at 61 miles which is also a PBS station if he added a rotor.. Might even pull in the other since it's only 19 miles away especially if he add a pre-amp.

His channel 5 is an ABC translator. Either of the Channel Masters should work fine. I would point towards 225 degrees and lock it down. That should get all of the networks plus a nice set of sub channels.

You are less than 20 miles LOS (line of sight) from all the majors + PBS, except ABC which is ESE and 2 edge @14 miles.

ABC is your main problem - you can probably pull PBS even on a UHF antenna.

Point a small 2-69 all channel antenna SW and a VHF high-bander (YA 10-713 or similar) ESE and insert channel 13 into the cable with a channel 13 jointenna.

You are less than 20 miles LOS (line of sight) from all the majors + PBS, except ABC which is ESE and 2 edge @14 miles.

ABC is your main problem - you can probably pull PBS even on a UHF antenna.

He has ABC on channel 5 LOS at 14 miles in the same direction as all of the other channels.

But a couple issues with that translator
its low powered...FCC shows .261Kw (so less than 300 watts) and its on VHF Low which does have interference issues. I guess the OP can try and worst case is he has to try the "main" ABC station

I live 5 miles LOS from my ABC and CBS stations (on the same tower) and when they were a 0.25Kw I had to use an amplified CM4228 to get a stable signal - horrible!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)