newbie looking for antenna advice.

tedzap

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Virginia
Ok, I live in a small city that should have some decent reception. I plan to get off of directv and go just OTA. I would like to mount the antenna where the dish is currently. Right now I have four coax cables going to the dish. Two feed a DVR in my office and two feed the house for a never-purchased DVR.

Can anyone recommend an antennae for me, and where to get it?

Thanks,
Ted

Radar-All.png

Depending on just which stations your wanting to receive you could go with either of two antennas. Both are Channel master and I also think that you also need a rotor for the best performance. Not sure but I'd guess that both just might be for sale at Walmart.

Model 3018 UHF/VHF/FM Antenna
Model 3020 UHF/VHF/FM Antenna

Another option would be to install two antenna one being a UHF 8 Bay antenna and then a Yagi antenna for the VHF channel
. You might be able to buy these at a local store or even on line.

AntennaCraft U8000 8 Bay UHF Antenna

Model Y10-7-13 VHF Yagi

Last edited:
sergei
Looks like his PBS is on VHF Low so wouldn't he need a antenna to get VHF Low?
I thought the V10 was a VHF Hi only

edit: the other 2 you mention will get VHF Low

sergei
Looks like his PBS is on VHF Low so wouldn't he need a antenna to get VHF Low?
I thought the V10 was a VHF Hi only

edit: the other 2 you mention will get VHF Low

Not knowing what his interest in TV watching is that's why I suggested the first two and I'm thinking with the bottom two he could most likely get channel 11 at 61 miles which is also a PBS station if he added a rotor.. Might even pull in the other since it's only 19 miles away especially if he add a pre-amp.

His channel 5 is an ABC translator. Either of the Channel Masters should work fine. I would point towards 225 degrees and lock it down. That should get all of the networks plus a nice set of sub channels.

You are less than 20 miles LOS (line of sight) from all the majors + PBS, except ABC which is ESE and 2 edge @14 miles.

ABC is your main problem - you can probably pull PBS even on a UHF antenna.

Point a small 2-69 all channel antenna SW and a VHF high-bander (YA 10-713 or similar) ESE and insert channel 13 into the cable with a channel 13 jointenna.

You are less than 20 miles LOS (line of sight) from all the majors + PBS, except ABC which is ESE and 2 edge @14 miles.

ABC is your main problem - you can probably pull PBS even on a UHF antenna.

He has ABC on channel 5 LOS at 14 miles in the same direction as all of the other channels.

But a couple issues with that translator
its low powered...FCC shows .261Kw (so less than 300 watts) and its on VHF Low which does have interference issues. I guess the OP can try and worst case is he has to try the "main" ABC station

I live 5 miles LOS from my ABC and CBS stations (on the same tower) and when they were a 0.25Kw I had to use an amplified CM4228 to get a stable signal - horrible!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)