Newbie looking for help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tobor

Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
virginia
Hi all, newbe here.

I just found out about FTA and just starting to slowly come up to speed.

To start I'd be called a light hobbyist.

I've found channel listings and which sat they're on and what frequency (sorry, but I don't understand all the terms or what all those freq. numbers mean yet)

I had found what I think is the "new" format for receivers mpeg-4/DVS-S2 (for HD and STD reception)

I found that some receivers have outputs that control dish motors and can be pointed to different sats using DiSeq (?spl).

I'm reading what I can but haven't found a good "primer" that sorta covers it all.

But ...

" .. 8' dia dish .." ???? That's kinda scary thought. I'm seeing full system kits (recvr, dish, pointy motor) that have an 18" or 24" dishes.

Are these kits a waste for having such a small dish? I'm not opposed to getting the starter system kits and learn from there, but then I'd rather not waste money if the kits are really a total waste.

I'll keep looking/reading what I can, but Thanks for any insight/guidance.

::welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

You have found a place with a lot of knowledgeable people and willing to help.

This system is about as cheap as it gets, to see if you want to continue learning, and adding (a motor later would be the next move) to it: Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution

It has a great (just released in the market) receiver, the best new lnb, and a great sat. dish! I don't think you can beat this price for all that, and it's a good way to start out.

for a dish i would suggest a 36 inch dish and a linear lnb....

for a receiver i would suggest a traxis 3500 receiver....if you want to spend a bit more then get an openbox s10HD receiver....if you want to spend less look for a used coolsat 5000 or 6000....or a pansat 3500....

other than that all you need is some RG6 cable to get you going....

fool around with this setup for a bit and learn how to aim at different satellites....at a later time when you are more experienced you can put a motor on the dish if you like....

for a receiver i would suggest a traxis 3500 receiver....if you want to spend a bit more then get an openbox s10HD receiver....if you want to spend less look for a used coolsat 5000 or 6000....or a pansat 3500...
Curious why you mention all those old receivers without listing the brand new microHD that supports all the modern technology with an instruction manual anyone could understand, especially important for a beginner?

Curious why you mention all those old receivers without listing the brand new microHD that supports all the modern technology with an instruction manual anyone could understand, especially important for a beginner?
Oh I dont know, babysteps. Nothing wrong with considering some cheap beginner level equipment, maybe trying to scrounge up an old Primestar or satellite ISP dish.
From our point of view the package is a fair bargain, but 240 bucks vs 20-40 bucks for an older receiver and maybe a free Primestar or other usable dish within scouting distance, and some coax might be an easier if not more rewarding place to start.
If the FTA bug bites hard enough, he will be driven to expand and upgrade anyway (as were we all, huh Dee....lol) I'm certain no one in this hobby has just one rx and probably most have more than one dish.
If he's willing, and in a position to lay out that that much coin to get his feet wet I applaud him. Some folks cant do that, plus learning to identify/acquire hobby related equipment is part of the game.....isnt it? I'm sure that deal will only look sweeter as he gets the jist of things.

tobor, regarding the 8' dish, that would be for C band. The entry level system is usually a Ku band system. The 18-24" dishes are poor performers for the FTA portion of the Ku band, and the LNBF that comes with them is incompatible with the signals we are seeking.
Receivers are "dual band" for lack of a better term. There is FTA programming on both bands. It may be possible for you to locate an out of service or abandoned "big dish" someone just wants out of their yard. We can cover C band in more detail later. Suffice it to say if you get serious and have the ability you will want to add this option to your setup.
Should you decide to do some "dish hunting" looking for a suitable Ku dish can be a similar venture. If you find a possible candidate, snap a pic and post it (even C band dishes). Many folks here can give you a thumbs up or down on what it is and if it will suit your needs.
There is a lot to grasp when starting from zero. I know of no pimer that would cover the fundamentals any better than if you have a question just ask. Not knowing what questions to ask is a bit of a paradox, that's where reading is your best tool to educate you on what questions to ask.
Hopefully we can make this journey as rewarding as the end result.

because i think a beginner should start off with the cheapest equipment possible....this will let them get their feet wet, and they can then decide if they really like or want FTA....lets face it, FTA is not for everyone....why spend alot of money at the start then find out its something that you dont even like?

if i was just starting to play hockey i dont think i would go out and spend 500 bucks on a pair of skates....i would most likely buy a used pair of skates to see if i enjoy playing the game or not

A new microHD is $125. A new S10 is similar. My point was that a new state-of-the-art receiver can be similar in cost to the older equipment. Starting with the cheapest equipment is a mistake made by many in different technology hobbies. A beginner is always confused by definition since there are so many unknowns. I began by using a Sonicview Elite with buggy firmware and a very poor useless manual. I almost gave up trying to receive my first FTA signal. Had I begun with a microHD which essentially works and is well documented, my beginner experience would have been more fun. If after trying FTA, a beginner finds it's not for him or her, they can always sell their equipment.

Let's listen to what a newbie has to say...go ahead newbie honkj:
...i have to say, being a newbie, getting this microHD as my first receiver is probably the luckiest thing i've done all year. it took me a little while to understand it, mainly only because i am a newbie.. but now that i see what is going on, this microHD is great, the PBS stations are awesome...

See honkj's further comments at his posting.

Let's listen to what a newbie has to say...go ahead newbie honkj:

See honkj's further comments at his posting.

Testimonials?....REALLY?
The uHD is an exceptional piece of work, supported by dedicated developers and hobbyists (at least one for sure...lol) and will sell itself. We are fortunate to have all of this, but ease up. It will not bring world piece or usher in the second coming.
Realistically, when you start from nothing you have....nothing. Things must be acquired, including knowledge and experience. Not all plug and play, turnkey solutions are then best solution. Figuring out things is part of the learning process.

Budget constraints may need to be considered. To say one needs drop ~250 buck for a Ku FTA system or do without is not very encouraging, especially if that person can only muster say $50- 100 or so for now.

There is still enough SD programming that a 2nd or 3rd gen Chinese or Korean box will work to get a peek under the hood of FTA, and can be had for a song. I still support dishhunting. After that it's all about the guidance and education, which we do foster here, even with differences of opinion.

I'm inclined to use HF equipment as a reference, presuming you are licensed for HF privileges. Did you get your novice ticket and run out and spend a couple of grand on the top of the line Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu rig, or grab a Tempo One, FT101, maybe an old Drake setup, or possibly something even more menial to get on the air with? Did you buy a tower and put up a 3 element tri-bander or build a couple of dipoles and string 'em up in the trees. Which way affords the best learning platform?
If you are not an HF person and are instead a V/UHF repeater/APRS/D-Star operator then all of that probably means very little to you because sadly that genre is basicly all plug and play and doesnt afford much "roll your own" satisfaction.

Last edited:
well i think your both right both sides need to be mentioned budget views and new equipment views
there are limitations to some of that older hardware that most of us went through... now i like an old coolsat as well as anyone but in the day and age of dvb-s2 , HD , ac3 all are beyond the coolsat. I think the FAQ needs to be updated and something like this needs to be included budget hardware and its limits to look for :)

the microHD does have its advantages plus that manual (and ive seen a many hard to understand manuals) with pictures to walk most everyone through....

so lets pull together and work to make this site even better , i'm sure Ice would welcome some updated parts for hime to add to the FAQ areas :)

Some people have older working dust collectors that they give away for shipping or sometimes even pay the shipping. I was given some for the fire victims here. I passed them on and only one said thank you -- but almost an expected reaction given the loss -- one put up a high fence and two moved away, so I do not even know if any were used. The OP has apparently not logged back in, could be a lurker though....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)