newbie needs help selecting antenna

bisonfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 22, 2013
MN
Hi new member here. I am looking to put an OTA antenna up on my house but unsure which antenna to buy. My TVFool report is the following

hxxp://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda52c93075f3

I have tried an RCA ANT1600R, it worked in the windows receiving 19 channels (x.1 to x.6 on occasional channels) away from the windows roughly 6-8 channels. The report is a bit misleading as per tests with the RCA antenna, I receive channel 4.1. I realize that I would need an VHF lo/VHF hi/UHF antenna most likely.

Would an outdoor omni-directional be in my best interest? Though I am open to any and all suggestions.

Hi new member here. I am looking to put an OTA antenna up on my house but unsure which antenna to buy. My TVFool report is the following

hxxp://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda52c93075f3

I have tried an RCA ANT1600R, it worked in the windows receiving 19 channels (x.1 to x.6 on occasional channels) away from the windows roughly 6-8 channels. The report is a bit misleading as per tests with the RCA antenna, I receive channel 4.1. I realize that I would need an VHF lo/VHF hi/UHF antenna most likely.

Would an outdoor omni-directional be in my best interest? Though I am open to any and all suggestions.

Your link doesn't work just give us your zip code.

I don't see any VHF-lo channels on your TV Fool and the only VHF-Hi channel is KCCO. Something like the AntennaCraft HBU-22 should do well for you unless there are a lot of trees or buildings blocking the signal. If so then move up to the HBU-33 or the Winegard 7694P.

welcome :wave
The good news is you have access to all the Mpls stations
The other good news is there are translator stations in your town
The bad news is they only broadcast at 700 watts so an indoor antenna probably wont work

I would go with a small outdoor antenna. Like a HBU22. Radio Shack sells them (I think you have a corporate store there and not a franchise) and they should work fine.
The thing with the channels is weird. The stations are all on UHF but "remap" to the stations you know.

Here is a list of what channel is what. 1st number is RF channel (what channel they broadcast on)....2nd is what they map to
46 is 4 WCCO CBS
19 is 5 (well 45) KSTC IND
48 is 9 KMSP FOX
44 is 10 KWCM PBS
39 is 11 KARE NBC
14 is 23 WUCW CW
50 is 29 WFTC MY
34 is 34 weather
17 is 41 ION
30 is KSTP 5 but it might still be analog

The stations on the tvfool in yellow you really dont need
7 is the same as 4 (7 is based in Alex)
10 is already carried on the translator system
42 (also in Alex) is KSTP 5 so you might need that if 30 hasnt upgraded to digital. Good news is its in same direction as the Willmar translators

If you scroll to the bottom of this link it shows what station is where
http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/dials/willmar.htm

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Channel 30 does come in with a bit more powerful antenna from what I hear. I will have to ask at Radio Shack as the last time I was there, I asked to about other antennas that they eventually found in the backroom. Another question for you posters, are there any articles that best describe approriate ground methods?

I think you mean 42. 30 is still analog according to the FCC.
42 is in Alex but is a full powered station so it is doable (if you really need ABC)

Update - finished installing an antennacraft HDX 1000 tonight. (chose this one as I liked the look and it worked for what I needed). I get 30 channels or so. The picture is amazing compared to my 480i cable service. Question for you though. I tried about 20 different locations using a temporary mount (2x4's). All channels worked great. I mount it permanently and I have trouble with 9-1 and 29-1 and fluctuating signal from 0% to 100% on these channels.(29-1 freezes and pixelates a lot). 9-1 will just sometimes come and go on it's own. Any suggestions on how to address this or is it out of my control?

So, you are saying you did NOT get the signal problem in that same location on those two channels when you were test mounting the antenna?

If so, what's different now besides the permanent mount? Maybe you accidently crimped the coax causing a signal notch-out, maybe the antenna is lower or higher (YES, sometimes higher is WORSE!) Using an antenna is a black-art, and it almost never-ever works right off the way you'd expect it to.

yes. The only difference was that antenna was sitting on a 2x4 instead of on the roof deck. So yes it could make a difference. The worst is 29-1 however 29-2 (sd version of 29-1) is consistently 90% signal strength. 29-3 and 29-4 are in the mid 80's. However 29-3 &29-4 occasionally drop signal but nothing near the rate of 29-1. When 29-1 has signal it hovers around 90%. I have to assume that it is a signal issue with some obstruction along the path from the tower. Last night I did play with the fine tuning adjustment of the antenna to get clear signal for the remaining channels. I have corrected the 9-1 signal issue. While fiddling with the roof I found that the slightest angle change can really affect signal reception. It is a trade off of channels... As far as the cable, yes I think there might be once spot that got crimped that I should consider replacing the cable to see what happens..

since you are dealing with low powered translators the slightest move can make a difference

As for the 9 & 29 issue its set up goofy here in the Twin Cities (and of course moves with the translators). When the DTV conversion happened 4 years ago KMSP 9 moved to RF9 (from 26) and folks in the cities had major issues with reception. So KMSP put a SD counterpart on RF29 (which is My Network). So here in the cities its like this
RF9
9-1 Fox HD
29-2 My SD

RF29
29-1 My HD
9-2 Fox SD
29-3 Bounce
29-4 Movies!

Also all the Willmar translators are at the same spot so its possible there is an issue with the translator itself
Google maps show it at 1st St N and 45th Ave NW

Ok so close to three months running on over the air TV. I did adjust the antenna a bit and the reception is much better. I have noticed that during the extreme humid levels, the signal fades in and out a bit on a few channels but normal humidity levels it is great. I do not miss my poor quality cable service at all...

Channel 42 (ABC) is probably one of my strongest signals that I receive. I am surprised being it is over 40 miles away.

because those local stations run under 1000watts (some around 500 watts) humidity will affect it especially with higher powered stations on same channel that travel very far
as example
KVRR Fox Fargo (15) broadcasts on 19
34 (2) & 44 ( 45) are stations here in Minneapolis
48 & 50 are low powered stations in Mpls

42 broadcasts at 80,000 watts and now that they added 45 (5-2) and MeTV that makes it better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)