Newbie owner of an Edision OS MIO 4K

Doorguru

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Florida
I just received my Edision OS MIO 4K. This is all completely new to me. All the terminology is like I'm hearing a foreign language! I have scoured the internet for some basic info for an inexperienced user like me explained in simple terms to no avail. After playing around with this box for a couple days, I am able to receive satellite channels, OTA channels and with my internet connected, I am able to watch YouTube. This unit is pretty cool and I am glad I purchased it. ! My question is, besides watching YouTube, what else can I do concerning the internet? Can I set up Kodi or a similar to watch additional video? Any help for this newbie would be appreciated.

Reactions: k.r.
Depending on the flavor of Enigma go ’menu’, ‘plugins’, ’Download Plugins’, ‘Extensions’ and then scroll down to Kodi and select it for install. Running OpenVix myself but if you running OpenAtv it should be similar.

Depending on the flavor of Enigma go ’menu’, ‘plugins’, ’Download Plugins’, ‘Extensions’ and then scroll down to Kodi and select it for install. Running OpenVix myself but if you running OpenAtv it should be similar.

Thanks.

My start up lower border indicates "Enigma II" , but I do not know what I am running nor do I understand what either of those are!

I did go to my extensions and did not find Kodi.

If you bought the Mio from Titanium on this board it probably has the TNAP or the North American Project version of E2 which is a watered down version of SatDreamGR. That version of firmware has a limited number of plugins and extensions with it. With this Mio box you can multiboot different versions of the E2 firmware. In this section are several threads about the Mio and Mio+ which you should read through if you haven't already.

This thread on a different forum goes through the basic E2 operating system and how to set things up and then if you have specific questions besides that you can ask here for where you bought the box from. This particular thread is on the Zgemma receiver but once you read through it the menus are similar as all of the various E2 images use a common frame of reference.

Reactions: c-spand
If you bought the Mio from Titanium on this board it probably has the TNAP or the North American Project version of E2 which is a watered down version of SatDreamGR. That version of firmware has a limited number of plugins and extensions with it. With this Mio box you can multiboot different versions of the E2 firmware. In this section are several threads about the Mio and Mio+ which you should read through if you haven't already.

This thread on a different forum goes through the basic E2 operating system and how to set things up and then if you have specific questions besides that you can ask here for where you bought the box from. This particular thread is on the Zgemma receiver but once you read through it the menus are similar as all of the various E2 images use a common frame of reference.

Thanks. Yes I bought it from Titanium.

I will keep tying to figure this out from this site and the other one you have provided.

Reactions: c-spand
I have a question. When I start my STB, I get an "Edision" splash screen, but it rolls. Is there a way to correct this? This causes an additional problem when I boot from my backed up USB thumb drive. There is a white screen after the rolling Edision spash screen with text, but I cannot read it.

I have a question. When I start my STB, I get an "Edision" splash screen, but it rolls. Is there a way to correct this? This causes an additional problem when I boot from my backed up USB thumb drive. There is a white screen after the rolling Edision spash screen with text, but I cannot read it.

Have you tried changing the video settings with webif?

From looks of the old Sony CRT display, but the weird thing it's showing color not BW "Black and white" from looking from the video internet video streaming if you look carefully and you know what I am talking about.:)

Viewing your video. I would suggest the TV is either unable to display 50hz video or unable to negotiate a compatible refresh rate or resolution.

Your TV or HDMI cables may not support or be correctly configured to allow automatic resolution and/or refresh rate setting.

A primer below on TV or monitors connecting to devices capable of multi standards (50hz / 60hz refresh) or unsupported resolutions.

Enigma2 startup initially starts as native 50hz and a handshake typically occurs between the receiver and the TV to set to a mutually supported resolution and refresh format. If a handshake is not negotiated, the video output remains in the default state.

To avoid refresh or resolution issues when booting from a backup, verify the refresh setting of the Mio image is a 60hz setting and the resolution selection does not exceed your TV's capabilities before saving a back-up.

Try swapping the HDMI cable and make sure it is a newer cable that is rated "high speed" v2.0 if running a 4k resolution 3840x2160 setting (or v1.4 HDMI type or higher for 1080p resolution settings or lower).

Some TVs sold in the US are fixed at 60hz refresh and are unable to support 50hz video. Often, a monitor will allow the HDMI input resolution and/or refresh rate to be manually set. If so, it would be best to select Automatic mode or fixed to the highest supported 60hz setting.

What brand and model TV?

Last edited:
From looks of the old Sony CRT display, but the weird thing it's showing color not BW "Black and white" from looking from the video internet video streaming if you look carefully and you know what I am talking about.:)

Actually DLP. :)

Take the thumb drive out. It has a emmc flash file on it. That is what you see on the white screen after the edision splash screen. if you want to load a new slot with a new image use the flash image menu. There is instructions posted already in older threads.

Take the thumb drive out. It has a emmc flash file on it. That is what you see on the white screen after the edision splash screen. if you want to load a new slot with a new image use the flash image menu. There is instructions posted already in older threads.

Thanks. I kind of understand that. I put openvix-5.3 in slot two. It loaded at a higher resolution than my TV could take. If It wasn't for the front panel of the STB I would have been in trouble. I was able to change the resolution to 720P from there.

I assume the reason for the rolling splash screen is possibly my outdated TV (?)

Great that you figured out the solution. Not necessary the result of an outdated TV, as even newer inexpensive TVs don't support all resolutions or 50hz refresh.

Just be aware that most Enigma2 images default to 50hz, which appears to be incompatible with your TV. The refresh and/or the resolution may need to be manually set if your TV will not handshake to automatically set.

Reactions: KE4EST and Doorguru
I have searched and could not find an answer. As far as images go, what is the differences between multi boot prefixed image files and ones without this prefix. Why should I choose one over the other? Is it something to do with being able to run different settings for different loaded images??

EDIT................................

I think I just answered my own question!
When I switch my images then go back to default it seems some of my settings change.

Also, I can not find any images labeled "multiboot"

Anyone know where I can find them?

Last edited:
Usually the file without multiboot prefix can still be flashed multiboot.To do multiboot leave the file zipped and use the flash image menu.The zipped file needs to be in a folder named downloaded_images. There is two ways to flash 1 multiboot and 2 emmc.If you flash emmc you will overwrite slot 1. Emmc flash is where you unzip the non multiboot prefix file on to a flash drive and flash with a power cycle.

Reactions: Doorguru