Newbie question on D* satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lowe41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I have one H20 and I am having problems with the locals in HD, Showtime, and HBO. The rest of the HD channels look good so far. My problem is that I am having audio cutout and huge pixelation problems with these channels. Also, it has taken a long time, longer than normal, lately to change the channel from any other channel to any HD local? I don't know if that means anything of not.

My signal strengths are as follows:
101-77
119-86
110-70* On the signal test only three of the spaces (transponders?) registered 71 the others were n/a.

What satellite are the SD channels on? HD channel? and HD local?

I am hoping this is a dish alignment problem so its fixable? Or a reciever problem. I have a tech coming out on Saturday, hopefully he doesn't blame D* and leave.

Any help or info is appreciated.

Those strength levels are somewhat low. What are your reading(s) on 103 where the ATL HD LIL are located?

72.5w - Smaller DMA LIL

95.0w - International

101.0w - Main/Core, Large DMA LIL, PPV, Premiums, Sports Packs, Music, XM, CBS-E&W HD, NBC-E HD

102.8w - MPEG4 HD LIL and AL/HI LIL

109.8w - HD Pack, Spice HD, PPV HD

119.0w - More LIL, HD Pack, ABC-E&W HD, FOX-E&W HD, NBC-W HD, YES Net HD, ParaTodos, Music (Latin)

Last edited:
sorry, i didnt realize you were still talking to him.

i just got back from my youngest boys first confession.

the tech pegged the 119, the 110 is low and the 101 is very low....in my book!! you have no 103.. skew is off . and there are only 3 tsp on the 110

Thank you so much for your info. I thought it was low, but I have also read the H20 reads signal strength 15-20% lower, so I wasn't sure. This is the second time a tech will be coming out. The fist guy basically said its a D* problem and didn't even look at the equipment since it happened to be working the 15 minutes he was here. A supervisor is supposed to come out this time? I hope all gets working this time. I don't want to switch to cable. D* has me hooked on NFL ticket.

the h-20 does read lower by around 10- 15 points, i shoot for 94-95 with basic eq and 80-85 with advanced eq on all four current sats.

i hate service calls, like patton said, i dont like paying for the same real estate twice!

dragon002 said:
the tech pegged the 119, the 110 is low and the 101 is very low....in my book!! you have no 103.. skew is off . and there are only 3 tsp on the 110
Dragon or Charper...could you post what the signal strengths should be when viewing from the H20? How about a min and max that way we can tell if our signal is acceptable? We know it reads lower than normal but w/o a meter we can never be sure. Just an idea. ;)

Edit....thanks dragon you beat me to it.

climo, it reads lower on my meter also, not just the IRD.

short answer? accept nothing under 80 on all sats that are broadcasting. and some spot beams will be 0 or will be in the 30s, that is normal, they arent used in your area.

dragon002 said:
climo, it reads lower on my meter also, not just the IRD.

short answer? accept nothing under 80 on all sats that are broadcasting. and some spot beams will be 0 or will be in the 30s, that is normal, they arent used in your area.

ThaT Isn't true with a H20. I have swaped out Older Hd boxes that read high 90 across the board with an H20. The H20 showed the signal strength being in the high 70's. H20's signal meter has issues and it not reliable imo.

charper1 said:
I wonder if it can or will be corrected via firmware update?

Who knows, I don't even think D* cares. It wierd because you can do a 4 box install with 1 H20. All SD irds will show a strength of high 90's. You walk over to the H20 to view the signal strength. It's going to be alot lower.

I did a test tonight of my 3 types of recievers SD- SDtivo- HD
With my siginal strength results

RECIEVER_____D10-300___H20___R10-TIVO
SAT-72.5_______59-72___51-54___86-100
SAT-99-10_______N/A_____N/A_____N/A
SAT-99-11_______N/A_____N/A_____N/A
SAT-101_______88-98____68-80___88-100
SAT-103-14______N/A____82-91____N/A
SAT-103-15______N/A_____N/A_____N/A
SAT-110_______71-79____65-68___87-89
SAT-119_______75-95____65-77___87-95

Before you guys say it-----
The 72.5 tested fine on the sat finder outside.
And it has ZERO rainfade of any type of siginal dropout.

And this does not lend well to transfer from excel!

Last edited:
Could the problem be the reciever? I read somewhere, either on here or another forum, that people were having a lot of problems with recievers made in Korea. Anyone read/heard of that before??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)