Newbie Questions About Dish/LNB Selection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calminginsanity

Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I am just starting out with FTA and I had a few questions to get me started. Please excuse the noobdom.

I currently have 2 different dishes, a Dish500(with lnb) and a dish network dish(the kind that looks oblong instead of circular) that I have picked up beside the road, i have a coolsat4000 clone receiver and am not concerned with any type of hacking at this point. what would i need to do to convert one of those dishes to be used with FTA or am I totally out of luck with those? If I am able to convert the lnb to linear instead of what the dp lnb (from what i understand is circluar), what should i look for in a lnb?

to add, i already have the dish500 pointed at echostar and receiving nasatv

Last edited:
darn, so there is no way around purchasing another dish. so simply swapping the lnb on my dish500 would not suffice? was looking for the cheapest route for starters and then moving up

Last edited:
You can start with a Fixed dish(no motor) but a dish 30"+ is a must for reliable reception, 36" is even better, and Linear LNB.

...and a dish network dish (the kind that looks oblong instead of circular) that I have picked up beside the road...
How big is it? (width and height of the reflector)
Any idea which model?
Can you post a picture of it?

While you really should just find or purchase a 36" dish and LNB for FTAing, it's possible you might have a retired SuperDish.
It has one linear LNB on it, and while on the small side for FTA, you could certainly try it on Whitesprings or play around with it as is.
We normally don't encourage newbies trying to fiddle with retired little dishes, because they're short on signal strength, have wrong LNBs, and are disappointing in the end.
But if you understand the limitations, . . .
Of course, if you have one of the even smaller dishes, it would be irresponsible of us to get your hopes up. ;)

it was a smaller dish, old primestar. i have accepted the fact that i probably need a different setup, so how about how much should i be set back for a new dish/rotor/lnb setup? don't wanna be paying too much you know. is the above site about average?

it was a smaller dish, old primestar. i
Well, we can't give you accurate direction, without accurate info.
Generally, Primestar dishes are suitable for FTA (they do come in many sizes), and have a proper LNB.
WHAT are the measurements of the dish?
Can you post a couple of pictures of the dish from the front, the rear so we can see the mount, and the LNB?
You may well have something useful, there. - :up

Look on the back side, in the mold markings and see if there is a number like:
- 60 e
- 75 e (?)
- 84 e
or anything like that.
Maybe it'll have some other reference (but I'm no expert on all the possibilities)

I edited my post above while you were replying, so please re-read it.

Wondered where you were located?
We have members all over North America. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)