Newbie questions about new things to come for Voom (36" Dish, New Bird in Oct, etc)

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I'm relatively new to Voom and the Forum. I've been hearing a lot about bigger dishes and new bird's in orbit for Voom, additional bandwidth etc. What I want to know is what does all this mean for me when I turn on my TV in the near future. So here are a few questions that I've had for a month or so now.....

Why are we getting the bigger Dish? What will it do and when are we supposed to get them?

Will Voom have more HD channels? What channels and when?

Will Voom be able to send us local HD channels like I hear DirecTV is going to do for NBC and is already doing with CBS?

Will I be able to order HD PPV movies?

Should I give up on HDNet and HDNet movies?
Which in my mind are the only major channels that we are missing.

PVR????
When When When.
2 reasons I still have Dish. 1)Food network 2)Young and the Restless PVR's every single day. Both reasons are obviously my wife.

And FYI I had to agree to cancel my lawn service and cut the grass myself for my wife to let me have Voom and Dish. And I'm in South Florida so me cutting the grass in 95 degree weather is enough for me to demand more from Voom. ;)

And just for the record, I love Voom. And I know no matter what I'll never leave her. My first time seeing the Yankees in HD and loosing my virginity are Neck and Neck :D

1. The main purpose of the bigger dish is to get signals from two satellites at once: the current one and the one that will be leased starting in October-November.
2. Yes, we should be getting more HD channels once the second satellite is operational and also because of the upcoming transition to MPEG4/WM9 encoding. Nobody knows which channels and when exactly.
3. The only thing we know for sure is that VOOM has plans to offer certain local (regional) sports networks, including some in HD. Florida is the first state to actually get that.
4. HD PPV is expected, but no time frame announced.
5. No official plans to get HDNet.
6. DVR has been announced for this summer, but has been delayed. We all hope to see it this year, but no official word yet.
Sorry to hear about the sacrifices you had to make, but it's worth it, IMHO.
Enjoy VOOM!

Hopefully a NEW YORK sports channel will be soon. It would make sense, seeing as something like MSG or FOX sports NY will make people in newyork,ConnNEWJERSey and parts of upstae new york happy. You would think they will maximize coverage foevery channel they add. Everybody loves the YANKEES!!

mattyro said:
Hopefully a NEW YORK sports channel will be soon. It would make sense, seeing as something like MSG or FOX sports NY will make people in newyork,ConnNEWJERSey and parts of upstae new york happy. You would think they will maximize coverage foevery channel they add. Everybody loves the YANKEES!!

Not Me!!!! Go Mets, LOL!!!!!!

Yes i suffer alot, and i am also a Jets fan so I suffer a whole lot!!!!!!!

I live in Northeast PA (Scranton Area) and we also qualify for MSG and FSN-NY RSN's so it makes sence that voom adds that RSN area soon, it covers alot af area, NY, NJ, CT, NorthEast PA. The main reason i keep my dish subscribtion along with Voom is to be able to get MSG/FSN-NY (for Mets, Knicks, Rangers) and CBS-HD (WCBS NY) for the Jets games in Hidef, my OTA CBS shows Steelers games and only broadcasts ED, not Hidef.

Ilya said:
1. The main purpose of the bigger dish is to get signals from two satellites at once: the current one and the one that will be leased starting in October-November.
2. Yes, we should be getting more HD channels once the second satellite is operational and also because of the upcoming transition to MPEG4/WM9 encoding. Nobody knows which channels and when exactly.
3. The only thing we know for sure is that VOOM has plans to offer certain local (regional) sports networks, including some in HD. Florida is the first state to actually get that.
4. HD PPV is expected, but no time frame announced.
5. No official plans to get HDNet.
6. DVR has been announced for this summer, but has been delayed. We all hope to see it this year, but no official word yet.
Sorry to hear about the sacrifices you had to make, but it's worth it, IMHO.
Enjoy VOOM!

Thanks Ilya. I'll be looking forward to seeing more than anything locals in HD through Voom. I had Installs come out twice to readjust my OTA. I always have a bunch of poeple over for football season being the only one of my friends with a big screen. The last thing I want on Monday night is for ABC to look and sound like a scratched record. But after my last vist my OTA strength is awesome. 97-Fox 97-ABC - 99-NBC. :D

Oh yeah and being in Florida I do like the Marlins but, Yankees forever. Best Franchise in Sports History!!

36" dish is kinda big. Any other option for those of us who have a HOA that won't allow a dish that big?!?!?!?!

mattyro said:

Mets fan here, too. Can't stand the Yankees. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)