Newbie Success

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tripl3s3v3n

Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
central valley california
:D It is all smiles today. Just some background I picked up a used Viewsat xtreme on craigslist and had some dishnetwork dishes that were left at my mom's house when she moved in. I tried rigging a linear LNB with no luck picking up anything. Put out the request on Craigslist for FTA dish. After a weak I was offered a starband (channel master 74e1) originally used for satellite internet for 20 bucks. Along with my sf-95 I picked up 97w then 101, and am now checking out some feeds on 99. The fine screw adjustment makes this thing awesome for a newbie like myself. All in all I am very happy with my cheap little setup, especially with my crappy LOS. Oh and I inverted the dish because for some reason it was easier for me to get quality that way.

Attachments

• 101_0006.JPG
    101_0006.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 101_0010.JPG
    101_0010.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 101_0002.JPG
    101_0002.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 101_0003.JPG
    101_0003.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 101_0008.JPG
    101_0008.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 166
LOL great setup! You probably didn't hit the elevation correctly (or didn't skew the dish or lnbf for your location before turning the dish upside down). I haven't tried turning a dish upside down before, wonder if I would've ever hit anything with it.

I tried to skew it according to dishpointer.com but never so much as a blip on quality. I figured what the heck flip it over and see what happens, within like 15 minutes I had 99Q on 110 with a circular lnb. Swapped the Linear LNB and and moved to 97W where I get about 75Q. Maybe I am just weird like that but it works for me.:rolleyes:

Well if you're a satellite newcomer, I'd say that was a pretty good accomplishment! But it should work the other way too, and would possibly be a good learning event to get it working right-side-up, haha.
Welcome in, btw, you'll fit in well here!

All smiles you say, how I remember my first day!
The fun has just begun tripl. Enjoy the hobby.
When smiles turn to frown, Satelitteguys are around!!
Welcome!!

:welcome and have fun, we are here to help. I have laid a dish on the lawn facing the sky and had it pickup satellites - much the same as you have done with the upside down dish.:)
Bob

WELCOME !!! To Satellite Guys. I remember the thrill when I saw a picture on 97West the first time. I couldn't believe I got the dish lined up after spending days trying lol. I was scared to death to move it for fear I'd lose the picture and never get it back. Look out FTA grows on you and the dishes seem to multiply too. Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)