Newbie To Fta, A Few Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wcalifas831

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
CALIFORNIA
Hi there fellas, I am new to the Fta Life. I have a few questions regarding the dish I have. My friend gave me a 90 cm dish with lnb and I want to use it to get the Galaxy 10r. My question is, in case I want to look for a different satellite will I have to keep changing the elevation to find a different one or does it stay the same for the different satellites? Another question is, do I have to move the lnb around in the front of the dish arm for tilt or do I just leave it in one spot? I checked the arm angle on my dish and its exactly 45 degrees. My friend that gave me the dish said that's how it came, so does anyone think that's what the degrees the arm should be? Since I'm a newbie to this I'm wondering if I got it all right, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there fellas, I am new to the Fta Life. I have a few questions regarding the dish I have. My friend gave me a 90 cm dish with lnb and I want to use it to get the Galaxy 10r. My question is, in case I want to look for a different satellite will I have to keep changing the elevation to find a different one or does it stay the same for the different satellites?
It'll change for each satellite, unless you use a motor that changes the elevation for you.
Another question is, do I have to move the lnb around in the front of the dish arm for tilt or do I just leave it in one spot?
You'll place the lnbf in the mount (on the arm), and skew it (turn it left/right) for each satellite depending on how far off of due south each satellite is. Again, a motor will turn the dish for optimal skewing for you, if you choose to use a motor.
I checked the arm angle on my dish and its exactly 45 degrees. My friend that gave me the dish said that's how it came, so does anyone think that's what the degrees the arm should be? Since I'm a newbie to this I'm wondering if I got it all right, any help would be greatly appreciated.
It would help if you said which type of dish you have. Maybe someone could check their dish and tell you if its the same (it can be different depending on the dish). The real issue is not the angle of the arm, but the location and distance that the lnbf ends up in relation to the face of the dish (for the focal point)

Hello, California, and welcome aboard.

I just started a thread on satellite calculator basics, a few minutes ago.
If you will give it a read, and use the link to the GeoSat calculator , you can get a PDF file of where to aim for all the birds in the sky.
You just need to input your ZIP code.

The Dish I Have

Well the dish I have by researching it in the forums on dish types, it is a an offset dish, 90cm, with the arm going up in 45 degrees. Any one else have that type of dish and does it sound ready to go?

Well the dish I have by researching it in the forums on dish types, it is a an offset dish, 90cm, with the arm going up in 45 degrees. Any one else have that type of dish and does it sound ready to go?
wcalifas831
Can you post a picture? It would help a lot.
Bob

it looks like this

I found a pic of what my dish looks like, the arm extends out like that, I measured the angle on mine and it's on a 45 angle infront of the dish, just was wondering if that's a normal thing.

Attachments

• thisone.bmp
    540.3 KB · Views: 184
If your dish looks like the one in the picture, that is normal. The signal actually comes in from a point roughly 22 degrees higher than where the dish appears to be pointed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)